• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Boone/App Recs

IamThunderbolt

Reaction score
Hey all

We’re taking the older two kids to tour App this Friday and would like recs for something to do in the afternoon - where to grab lunch, something fun in the afternoon.

Staying at BIL’s place in Banner Elk and will do hiking etc on Saturday, but looking for something for Friday afternoon that would be fun (for a 13, 15, & 17 year old) and somewhat unique-to-Boone

Also for the App folks on here - anything on campus we should check out that won’t be covered by the tour?

This is an interesting place we ate at recently, right on King street in Boone. Open 11-2 M-F.

Our single experience gave the impression that they serve really interesting, good and mostly locally sourced food. And they seem to have have a noble mission to boot.

For sushi - cobo
For bbq- pedalin pig
For Indian - mint
For something quick - Comeback Shack

Haven't lived there in a few years. So things may have changed

Lost Province for pizza place gets busy though. Alpine coaster in banner elk is supposed to be pretty fun. Assume teens would like it as well. Cinnamon rolls at stick boy. Appalachia Cookie company.

Mint was very good the other week. Will definitely go back again although I don’t know if young people will be that excited about it. We like The Local as our default place. Very good by Boone standards for family fare. The Cardinal is good for burgers.

Lost Province for pizza place gets busy though. Alpine coaster in banner elk is supposed to be pretty fun. Assume teens would like it as well. Cinnamon rolls at stick boy. Appalachia Cookie company.
Thanks. We did the coaster a couple of years ago. It was fun.

yah looking at the parkway I'd just hop on it near Boone and drive up it 30 miles or so, hike around grandfather mountain and then come back down.

Having Bodegas and Dunns Deli close in the last year and a half hurts quite a lot as those were reliable options in BE.

In BE LP on main for something fancier, and Stonewalls is a solid option as well. Banner Elk Café has the largest menu in existence, but has some fun coffee drinks if people like those and isn’t the worst place for a quick bite.

You can head down the backside of the mountain and run right into Mast General Store in Valle Crucis on your way into Boone. Just antidotally, but I’d chose the VC location over the one on King St.

King St. has some interesting stores that should have something for everybody in the family and is worth walking around.

Most of the restaurants have been said but I’ll just toss the ones that come to my mind immediately/echo some people.

Mint is owned by the same people that own Nawab and is always good.

Stickboy for baked goods, their cinnamon rolls are incredible.

Lost Province has always been really consistent for us and BlackCat is a local burrito place that has a fairly devoted following. Howard Station and The Local are also right there and solid options and all four of those are in about a block and a half.

Two homer picks from me that you probably won’t get recommended here are The Cardinal and Lilys. If you want solid food with the “Boone scene” these are both solid options. Both cater and lean more towards the college/Boonie crowd rather than tourists.

Gotta be honest, just don’t worry about BBQ for the weekend. I’ve had great BBQ in Watagua and Avery country but it hasn’t been in restaurants.

If you need beer/wine Peabody’s is the way to go on 105.

i also like Red Onion and Booneshine but they will be mobbed until leaf season ends (so like another week I think)

Back