• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Boston College vetoes UCONN

FreeStateDeac

Reaction score
This story in the Boston Globe is referenced in another thread but deserves its own thread.

In this story, the Boston College AD openly admits that BC blackballed UCONN even when UCONN was the first choice of most ACC schools. I find this remarkable not only because of BC's cut-throat tactic of trying to bleed UCONN to death, but more so because the BC AD openly brags about it. Can you imagine Ron Wellman or any other AD in the league south of Boston bragging about blackballing another school? Usually when you stick a shiv in someone's back, you don't want your fingerprints on it, unless you want to send a very, very explicit message. This guy sounds like Tony Soprano.

http://www.boston.com/sports/colleges/mens_basketball/articles/2011/10/09/power_move_by_acc/?page=3

Last edited:
Can't imagine UConn will be shut out if/when we expand to 16 unless the Notre Dame/Penn State combo came true.

I give the ACC almost no chance of picking off Penn State.

Yeah. He says that in the first sentence.

I don't think BC can "veto" anybody.

I guess I'll just double post whatever the hell I want on the board then.

I guess if I post it on a thread, it doesn't count.

If I had made it its own thread I would have been howled at.

Rules are different for me, I get it.

Also the OP didn't say what thread it was...dunno if he was trying to hide that or what.

Hilarious what is allowed to pass where I'm concerned that if I did I would be screamed at.

Man, I don't know how much longer Gene is going to be AD there. I have a few friends at BC (I'm from New England), and the general feeling I get from them is he's really, really hated. Which makes sense, I guess- he's sort of driven BC's program into the ground.

Man, I don't know how much longer Gene is going to be AD there. I have a few friends at BC (I'm from New England), and the general feeling I get from them is he's really, really hated. Which makes sense, I guess- he's sort of driven BC's program into the ground.

From reading their board, it seems that Gene is a self-serving prick, who only hires coaches that he can control and manipulate.

I guess I'll just double post whatever the hell I want on the board then.

I guess if I post it on a thread, it doesn't count.

If I had made it its own thread I would have been howled at.

Rules are different for me, I get it.

Also the OP didn't say what thread it was...dunno if he was trying to hide that or what.

Hilarious what is allowed to pass where I'm concerned that if I did I would be screamed at.

If rules are different for you, it's because you're a huge fucking douchebag who's never held a wrong opinion, thinks he's smarter than everyone else, and seemingly takes pleasure in being an ass at every opportunity. Maybe if you weren't such a pretentious dickbag whom everyone wished would take a nap on a couch right after a WVU win, the mods would cut you some slack with whatever it is you're bitching about.

Believe the technical term is full of shit.

Blaudschun does a good job of putting through that bs in reporting this. It really was about basketball, regardless of what is quoted at the beginning of the article.

If I was UConn I'd be plastering that quote all over the place to show other conferences that BC knows that if they were in a bigtime league they'd take over New England.

Believe the technical term is full of shit.

Blaudschun does a good job of putting through that bs in reporting this. It really was about basketball, regardless of what is quoted at the beginning of the article.

If I was UConn I'd be plastering that quote all over the place to show other conferences that BC knows that if they were in a bigtime league they'd take over New England.

Doesn't matter even if that is true. The Big 10 nor the Big 12 want them. The ACC is UConn's only chance at a major conference.

If rules are different for you, it's because you're a huge fucking douchebag who's never held a wrong opinion, thinks he's smarter than everyone else, and seemingly takes pleasure in being an ass at every opportunity. Maybe if you weren't such a pretentious dickbag whom everyone wished would take a nap on a couch right after a WVU win, the mods would cut you some slack with whatever it is you're bitching about.

Mods? Haven't really had an issue with mods, mostly I suspect because to be overbearing in regulation of this board would be at once an impossible task and it would invalidate really its sole raison d'etre. Vadimivich made an appeal on the soccer thread for me to be banned but doesn't seem to have gone anywhere, and seemed very obvious in the discussion that it wouldn't.

I have never said I'm never wrong, that is a view others have ascribed to me. I admitted I was wrong about a post just yesterday. Flat out wrong, no excuse to it. I got two negreps simply for being wrong. Things are different for me.

It's funny, one of the most respected posters on the board says he gives me more posrep than just about anyone, and doesn't think there's any way I should be in the red just for expressing opinions. Believe it or not, there are some that understand what is truly happening here.

It has been noticed that the negativity toward me has increased since I started talking about WVU and realignment. It is obvious this board has something about West Virginia University and how it chooses to carry out its mission as the flagship state university for West Virginia and the primary vehicle for providing a university education to residents of the state, regardless of social or economic strata.

So you're a bunch of elitists. Fine, whatever, hardly a surprise. Doesn't mean you have to take it out on me. I didn't go there. I don't live there, I never have lived there. I've lived very close to there, have a lot of family there, and I like both the state and the town/university. I really like both their football and basketball coaches right now -- love the way they go about their business and their no-nonsense attitudes.

But it is pretty funny to see fans of Wake Forest beating their chests in the discussion. Wake's a passenger, nothing more. If Wake wasn't already in the ACC by an accident of history, they certainly would not be pursued for membership. The ACC tolerates Wake because they have to. There are without doubt schools that would be a bigger asset to the ACC than Wake.

I fully expect that to be railed against, but it is the goddamn truth and only the extremely stupid among you don't know it.

Mods? Haven't really had an issue with mods, mostly I suspect because to be overbearing in regulation of this board would be at once an impossible task and it would invalidate really its sole raison d'etre. Vadimivich made an appeal on the soccer thread for me to be banned but doesn't seem to have gone anywhere, and seemed very obvious in the discussion that it wouldn't.

I have never said I'm never wrong, that is a view others have ascribed to me. I admitted I was wrong about a post just yesterday. Flat out wrong, no excuse to it. I got two negreps simply for being wrong. Things are different for me.

It's funny, one of the most respected posters on the board says he gives me more posrep than just about anyone, and doesn't think there's any way I should be in the red just for expressing opinions. Believe it or not, there are some that understand what is truly happening here.

It has been noticed that the negativity toward me has increased since I started talking about WVU and realignment. It is obvious this board has something about West Virginia University and how it chooses to carry out its mission as the flagship state university for West Virginia and the primary vehicle for providing a university education to residents of the state, regardless of social or economic strata.

So you're a bunch of elitists. Fine, whatever, hardly a surprise. Doesn't mean you have to take it out on me. I didn't go there. I don't live there, I never have lived there. I've lived very close to there, have a lot of family there, and I like both the state and the town/university. I really like both their football and basketball coaches right now -- love the way they go about their business and their no-nonsense attitudes.

But it is pretty funny to see fans of Wake Forest beating their chests in the discussion. Wake's a passenger, nothing more. If Wake wasn't already in the ACC by an accident of history, they certainly would not be pursued for membership. The ACC tolerates Wake because they have to. There are without doubt schools that would be a bigger asset to the ACC than Wake.

I fully expect that to be railed against, but it is the goddamn truth and only the extremely stupid among you don't know it.

tl;dr I have an inferiority complex that I project onto others

tl;dr I have an inferiority complex that I project onto others

LOL you really don't know me at all, do you?

Funniest post on the board in a long time. I may send this one to some RL friends of mine to see their response.

awesome. :thumbsup: I have whatshisname on ignore so I'm glad you quoted this.

awesome. :thumbsup: I have whatshisname on ignore so I'm glad you quoted this.

See if that was me I would be accused of not really having you on ignore.

Sorry kids, I've got better things to do with the rest of my day. You'll have to survive without being able to hate on me. I know it'll be tough. I'll be back to play mafia tomorrow, maybe you can get a hate fix then.

LOL you really don't know me at all, do you?

Funniest post on the board in a long time. I may send this one to some RL friends of mine to see their response.

Oh man, maybe you can laugh with them about the HILARIOUS Hitler parody video about Air Force weather. You guys are SO AWESOME!

Back