• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Boston Help

deac29

Steve Lepore
Reaction score
I'm spending 4 days in Boston in a few weeks for a conference. I've been to Boston a few times before but never had much free time to explore. Other than seeing a game at Fenway, what do I need to do and see? Recommendations on places for dinner?

How many times has this poor bastard refreshed to find nothing. Not even a wiseass post of utter irrelevance. This poor sonofabitch, deac29, can't even get a belch of a response.

Go to the North side for a really good Italian dinner. Do the Freedom Walk if you're a fan of history and just generally wander around the older parts of the city. The Harbor area is an amazing place to just walk around as well.

I was surprised when I searched for prior discussions and found very little, because I remember posting recs a lot over the years. I guess they were all over on the other boards. The only thread I found here was specifically about the North End. If you want something different, the emerald isles are a hidden gem. Otherwise standard stuff like Freedom Trail and the Constitution are a crowd pleaser, also a duck boat tour.

I'm spending 4 days in Boston in a few weeks for a conference. I've been to Boston a few times before but never had much free time to explore. Other than seeing a game at Fenway, what do I need to do and see? Recommendations on places for dinner?

Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum(Half price on Sunday)
Museum of Fine Arts(Free after 4:30 on Wednesday)
Institute of Contemporary Arts(Free Thursday afternoon)
Museum of Science
New England Aquarium
Freedom Trail
African American History Trail
Harvard(they have 5 museums as well)
MIT(MIT museum is free from 10am-12pm on Sunday)

Wander around all the following areas, Beacon Hill, North End, South End, Back Bay, Esplanade.

Depending on how much time off you have all these are easy day trips accessible by commuter rail. Salem(witch trials), Rockport/Gloucester(fishing towns), Lexington/Concord(Revolutionary War, Walden Pond), Plymouth Plantation.

If you want seafood, go to the Barking Crab or No Name Restaurant. Both are informal and you'll pay at least 20% less than the fancier Legal Seafood chain that everyone wrongly recommends.

If you need any other specifics, just ask.

Very good suggestions above, every one of them with the very notable exception of Barking Crab which is a terrible terrible place. No Name is quite nice though, so I'll ditto that. I'd say buy some Gorton's fish sticks before going to Barking Crab though.

Very good suggestions above, every one of them with the very notable exception of Barking Crab which is a terrible terrible place. No Name is quite nice though, so I'll ditto that. I'd say buy some Gorton's fish sticks before going to Barking Crab though.

I haven't been there in 4 or 5 years, but I've never heard bad things from those I've sent there.

Yeah, definitely go to the North End. Amazing food can be found there. Avoid Faneuil Hall like the plague.

consider a day trip to Newport, RI to see the mansions. Amazing

Gardner Museum is amazing. Holocaust memorial is good too.

Back