• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Boston Marathon

rjequalsmj

Reaction score
Men and Women underway, apparently it was 80 degrees at the start this morning, heat will definitely be a factor. Supposedly 14% of bibs werent even picked up this morning. Lead women at 18:58 thru 5k, both men and women are off to slow starts.

They're letting people hold onto their number for next year if they opt not to run today due to the heat.

I've also heard that they're considering closing the course once it hits a certain time.

It's way to warm for this. Menino was essentially asking people not to run last night.

It's an outdoor sport. I don't understand the too warm comments. Sure, if you're running it for fun and you live close by, it might make sense to run it next year and be less miserable. But, it's a marathon. It's run outdoors. It's going to be hard. Dealing with the conditions are part of it.

It won't matter to the elite runners, they train for all conditions. But doing any activity in weather that is 30 degrees warmer than average is difficult. Adding that stress to an event that already tests the physical/mental limits of people can be dangerous.

It won't matter to the elite runners, they train for all conditions. But doing any activity in weather that is 30 degrees warmer than average is difficult. Adding that stress to an event that already tests the physical/mental limits of people can be dangerous.

This isn't rocket science. You stay hydrated and you don't try for any personal bests. If you can qualify for boston, but you can't adequately prepare for hot weather, you are an idiot.

It's an outdoor sport. I don't understand the too warm comments. Sure, if you're running it for fun and you live close by, it might make sense to run it next year and be less miserable. But, it's a marathon. It's run outdoors. It's going to be hard. Dealing with the conditions are part of it.

It's not supposed to be this hot in Boston this time of year - that is why they run it now. Generally no one has been training in that kind of heat so they are not ready for it. Think about it, it has probably been more than 6-8 months since folks have trained at over 60 degrees for any length of time (unless they are from the deep south). Suddenly running a marathon at over 80 degrees is not going to be good -and wouldn't be safe for many people.

I have a friend running and she was very worried about it - but she spent a ton of money flying up there and staying the weekend, etc. - skipping and waiting until next year was not an option for her. She is just adjusting her target time by 20-30 minutes and hoping for the best.

This isn't rocket science. You stay hydrated and you don't try for any personal bests. If you can qualify for boston, but you can't adequately prepare for hot weather, you are an idiot.

Of course they are!! They run marathons for fun!

Surprised to see Kilel out of the lead pack. I wonder how much the water stop collision affected her.

Mutai has fallen off in the mens race too, that is pretty surprising.

He pulled out at 18 because of cramps! Oh shit, he might not make the Kenyan marathon team!

Have a friend who finished as one of the top 100 American women in the NYC marathon 2 years ago.

She ran 4:10-ish today.

Back