• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bowl Elgibility Poll

Should a .500 football team go to a bowl?

• Yes, the players deserve the postseason fun and it's a chance for extra practice.

Votes: 41 45.6%
  • No, if you can't manage a winning record during the season you shouldn't play in the postseason.

Votes: 49 54.4%

• Total voters
I just realized there are 35 bowls.

70 freakin' teams go bowling. That's ridiculous.

One upside I did not mention in the polls is tv exposure for the program and the mild advantage going to any bowl would give to recruiting. But the crap level of the bowl and corresponding low viewership really dilute that.

The fact that there are so few Division 1 or BCS football teams makes the number 70 even worse. 9 teams out of 12 in the ACC have bowl tie ins. That is a joke. Coming in 9th place in a conference should not get you anything. Basically all you have to do is play a soft OOC schedule and go 2-6 or 3-5 in your conference and you are going bowling....That is why making a bowl now a days is really not anything to brag about. Only absolute garbage teams do not make a bowl. Making a bowl 25 years ago was much harder.

If you disagree with the system, make sure you let the bowl organizers know by not purchasing tickets and by refusing to watch our game on TV. If no one goes to the game and no one watches, then they might get rid of these bowls. Same gos for any bowl game with a 6-6 team in it. If they don't make money, they will stop doing it.

The bowls don't reward success (except for the BCS bowls), they reward teams for having a large fanbase and national exposure, so why should we be upset that some 6-6 team got in?

ETA: I agree 6-6 team barely deserves to get in from a competition standpoint, but that's not what the bowls are about.

Last edited:
i want us to go to a bowl game but no mediocracy shouldn't be praised

The bowl system sucks, but if you are going to have 35 bowls, then yes, 6-6 teams deserve to go. I think you'd run out of qualifying teams if you required 7 wins.

The weird thing is if we didn't collapse in the 4th Q agsinst Clemson, we would be playing VT next week.... A team that barely got an OOC win narrowly missed playing for the ACC Championship. A little shameful for the ACC. Yesterday accentuated how down the ACC still is. Clemson even sucks now.

As long as the bowl situation makes selections on the same basis that it does, then Wake teams with the same conference records as other teams would be left at home while they went to bowl games if there were less bowls.

I really don't understand the purpose of drawing conclusions about Wake's bowl placement in crappy bowls when it is entirely based on our fanbase size.

Every bowl except for the BCS Championship game is totally meaningless.

Given that, I have no problem with 6-6 teams going bowling, or any team for that matter. It's just a bunch of meaningless football games to watch over the holidays. Gives you something to do when you're sitting at your in-laws' house. That's all it is. Not sure why people get so up in arms about it. It's free entertainment.

I just realized we went 1-3 non-conference with the win over G-W (losses to Syracuse (1-5BE), Vandy (2-6 SEC) and Notre Dame). Yikes. We're lucky to be in a bowl game, but I'll take it.

Back