• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bowl projections

That is a good question. State-South Carolina in the Belk Bowl is not attractive because they are opening up in Charlotte in the 2017 season. I hear some talk that the Belk Bowl would like to have Wake if we can conjure up 7 wins. I wonder if Hatch would let us go to a bowl in North Carolina?

He can go fuck himself if he makes that call

I think that Wake was never anything but a long shot for the Belk Bowl.

An updated set of bowl game predictions.

First, the easier predictions.
CFP: Clemson
Orange: Louisville
Citrus: Florida State
Russell Athletic: Virginia Tech
Taxslayer: Miami

Then it gets a little tougher…

Belk: UNC (or VT?)

I’d thought that UNC was a lock here, however there is an N&O reporter saying this morning that the Belk Bowl could host Virginia Tech.

Pinstripe Bowl: Pitt (or UNC?)
Pitt seems to make the most sense geographically, but there is a News & Observer reporter saying that UNC is likely headed here.

Then it starts to get even more difficult. Hopefully these bowls will begin to clear up within a few days. A lot hinges on whether Georgia Tech beats Georgia. Because of the 8-win rule, a Georgia Tech win today means that the Sun Bowl would not be able to select NCSU over GT.

IF GEORGIA TECH LOSES:

Sun Bowl (El Paso): N.C. State

I understand that there were radio reports that N.C. State was offered a bowl bid from the Independence Bowl, however the Sun Bowl gets to pick first. The radio report may mean that the Independence Bowl knows that the Sun has their eyes on someone else, but I think it is likely just wishful thinking for the guys in Shreveport. As pointed out by PhDeac, Georgia Tech has been to the Sun Bowl in both 2011 and 2012, so they might not be the best fit. However, I think the Wuffies will be too attractive for the Sun to pass up.

Military Bowl (Annapolis): Wake Forest / Boston College winner
There is conflicting info out there regarding whether the Military Bowl selects before the Independence Bowl. Either way, there is lots of reason to believe that the Tier 2 bowls will work together to come up with some assignments that make sense geographically. So while, Georgia Tech would be a possibility here if they lose to Georgia, my best guess is that the Wake/Boston College winner settles in here.

Independence Bowl (Shreveport): Georgia Tech

Quick Lane (Detroit): Wake Forest / Boston College loser

IF GEORGIA TECH WINS:

Sun Bowl: Georgia Tech
**Very important note**: Because of the 8-win rule, in this scenario the Sun's only other option would be a 7-win Wake Forest team (if Wake beats BC).

Military Bowl: N.C. State

Independence Bowl: Wake Forest / Boston College winner

Quick Lane: Wake Forest / Boston College loser

Bottom Line for Wake fans

If Wake beats BC, then the most likely destinations are (in order): 1. Annapolis, 2. Shreveport and 3. El Paso. The most important thing to know here is that, with a Wake win, the Sun Bowl would be free to take Wake in any scenario if the Deacons are the preferred option over NCSU or GT. If the Sun Bowl passes on Wake, then it would be Annapolis or Shreveport.

If Wake loses to BC then the most likely destinations are (in order): 1, Detroit, 2. Annapolis and 3. Shreveport. To avoid Detroit, a bowl would probably need to prefer Wake over BC despite having just lost to them.

Last edited:
Has there ever been more motivation to try to win a game than avoiding having to go to Detroit in December?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has there ever been more motivation to try to win a game than avoiding having to go to Detroit in December?

Our guys should be fired up if they're aware of this possibility

We could play Maryland in Detroit. That would be a hoot.

I don't know. If the alternative is El Paso or Shreveport, I'm not sure they're that much better. But this doesn't factor in weather as I like cold weather so it's not a determining factor for me. Rather it's the shittyness/lack of anything redeeming in the cities.

On a related note, the ACC has some terrible bowl locations.

Last edited:
I don't know. If the alternative is El Paso or Shreveport, I'm not sure they're that much better. But this doesn't factor in weather as I like cold weather so it's not a determining factor for me. Rather it's the shittyness/lack of anything redeeming in the cities.

On a related note, the ACC has some terrible bowl locations.

Of those four choices, Shreveport is the only warm weather location.

Is MD the most likely opponent in Detroit? That would be a fun game to watch, on tv. I think we're losing to BC today.

Back