• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bowman Gray purchase in limbo

Dallas33

Reaction score
Winston-Salem State University's effort to buy Bowman Gray Stadium from the city was snuffed out today when state lawmakers killed the university's request for permission to borrow $7.5 million to buy the stadium.

The legislative move – sponsored by Sen. Don East, R-Surry, and pushed by Winston-Salem entrepreneur Harold Day – opens the door wider to another potential bidder: Richard Childress, the NASCAR icon from Winston-Salem who sold peanuts as a child at Bowman Gray and started his racing career there in the 1950s.

Bill Patterson, an executive vice president at Richard Childress Racing, met with Martha Wheelock, an assistant city manager, recently to talk about costs related to the stadium, he said. Bowman Gray has sentimental value for Childress. It's a landmark stock-car racing stadium and more could be done with it, Patterson said, though he declined to provide further information about what else could be done.

"We do have an interest in it," he said.

Day, who attended the meeting with Patterson and Wheelock, said he lobbied to have the university's request pulled, asking business associates in as many as 12 counties to call their state representatives and senators.

"I think we've done it," Day said. "We got enough calls in.

http://www2.journalnow.com/news/201...ssu-request-to-buy-bowman-gray-ch-ar-2358095/

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Childress just spent a couple mil buying a few hundred acres adjoining our land. Tbh, I hope he does get the stadium. He'd instantly sink money into it for some much needed renovations, and make it not just the most historic, but premiere short track in the nation.

Back