• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Brad Stevens

All the has to do to win 25-30 games per year is find one good player a year. Nont one great player, but one good player.

His conference is very weka and he will set outrageous numbers.

Last year, Stevens and Alford rolled the dice about IU. I think each had tehir eyes on that job. After the season last year and before the fall, Crean looked to be in trouble. Then he landed back-to-back monster classes.

For Stevens it was an absolute no lose. Butler was going to have a good season and if he got lucky, he figured he might even grow his mystique.

He gambled about IU and lost but his gamble on himself is going to pay massive dividends.

I actually think Duke will have a more difficult time filling K's vacancy than many believe, at least insofar as candidates who are not from the Duke "family" or "coaching circle." This may be a bit of a stretch as an analogy, but I see them having some of the same issues that the Bulls have had signing an elite free agent ever since Jordan retired; guys just don't want to have the pressure of "replacing" the irreplaceable. From what I recall, we experienced this to a similar degree in recruiting PGs after Chris left; some guys just didn't want to have to shoulder the burden of the entire program in the shadow of such a great player. Duke is an incredible basketball job, but only because Coach K made it so. In 3-5 years, the guy is going to retire with over 1,000 wins and possibly another Final 4 or two. Division I coaches have huge egos and huge appetites for large paychecks, true, but I think a guy like Stevens might rather continue winning 28 games a year at Butler until IU opens up than possibly taking the chance of "failing to live up to Coach K's legacy" at Duke, especially as long as he's pwn3ng at Butler.

Odd comparison. I think Skip was just as surprised as some on here were when CP3 left early and tried to make up for it by going after Conley and Oden who both went to Ohio State. I remember a few years back someone stated Skip told the Wake Forest basketball class at Forsyth Tech that Oden wanted to be close to his family and that's why he choose Ohio State over Wake. Conley basically was going to go where ever Oden was. I have never seen any evidence that the reason we didn't get a PG here was because of some "fear" of following in anyone's footsteps.

As far as filling Coach K's position, they may have a hard time filling it but something tells me they'll get who they want rather it be Stevens or Dawkins or whomever they want.

Never be the guy who follows the legend.

Be the guy who follows the guy that follows the legend.

Never be the guy who follows the legend.

Be the guy who follows the guy that follows the legend.

Exactly, I think in 10 years, Dawkins will have already failed at Puke, then they go out and bring in Stevens.

He fits perfectly into that system, Butler has a high academic standard and he's clearly a Xs and Os guy...

I can feel the bile rising in the back of my throat.

But UNC and Kentucky are also the biggest basketball programs in their states, and both states are basketball-crazy. Indiana, however, didn't have the same success when Knight was forced to leave.

Duke, while popular, doesn't have the consistent Wal-Mart fanbase that may be able to sustain a program when it has some bad years....

Exactly, I think in 10 years, Dawkins will have already failed at Puke, then they go out and bring in Stevens.

He fits perfectly into that system, Butler has a high academic standard and he's clearly a Xs and Os guy...

I can feel the bile rising in the back of my throat.

Really?

Sadly I think K is going to be at Duke for a while, and I believe they will be a solid program for at least 10 years after he leaves due to recruiting reputation alone.

Sadly I think K is going to be at Duke for a while, and I believe they will be a solid program for at least 10 years after he leaves due to recruiting reputation alone.

They also won't hire a total lemon, Stevens or no Stevens.

Odd comparison. I think Skip was just as surprised as some on here were when CP3 left early and tried to make up for it by going after Conley and Oden who both went to Ohio State. I remember a few years back someone stated Skip told the Wake Forest basketball class at Forsyth Tech that Oden wanted to be close to his family and that's why he choose Ohio State over Wake. Conley basically was going to go where ever Oden was. I have never seen any evidence that the reason we didn't get a PG here was because of some "fear" of following in anyone's footsteps.

As far as filling Coach K's position, they may have a hard time filling it but something tells me they'll get who they want rather it be Stevens or Dawkins or whomever they want.

I lived with a bball player the year CP3 left. He was shocked that CP left. CP called a team meeting on a Sunday night and told them he was leaving. My roommate came back stunned and amazed how much CP had changed in a few weeks.

He could have taken Wake to never before seen heights, I fully believe that...He'll leave Butler when he is ready to and will be able to name his price to almost any school in the country. At this time however, no need to jump ship. He's probably looking at back to back Final 4's as it stands!

He is commanding a premium right now. Would be very surprised to see him stay at Butler for long. He's too ambitious.

Butler is a fine school, but there's plenty of room for marginal students. Ivy League it's not. Neither is WF, but WF > Butler.

He certainly could stay at Butler. It's happened before. And, if he can get to back to back Final 4s at Butler why would he go elsewhere?

I think he takes Indiana when it's offered, but otherwise he'll stay at Butler.

Be honest, what woudl yo uhave done if you were Stevens last year? would you have stayed at Butler with four of your top six players returning or gone to a total rebuild at Wake?

This year would have stripped some of the sheen off of Stevens if he had come to W-S.

Be honest, what woudl yo uhave done if you were Stevens last year? would you have stayed at Butler with four of your top six players returning or gone to a total rebuild at Wake?

This year would have stripped some of the sheen off of Stevens if he had come to W-S.

I don't know what his thoughts were, but it definitely seems that coaches don't take the current state of a program into nearly as much consideration as you seem to think.

At the time I said that I thought Wake would be a very good fit for him, and I still think that's true, but a lot of coaches will only leave their job for a handful of the very best jobs. I think Stevens is one of those coaches. It shows his values.

Back