• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Break up California!?!?!?

Won't happen. California people love California as an entity like Texas loves Texas.

Ah yes, 10 more Democratic senators sounds like a great idea.

Give enough time, the earthquakes are going to do it anyway.

...into six states for smaller, more responsive, truly local governments
http://news.yahoo.com/billionaires-breakup-plan-chop-california-six-states-012144464.html

I had never considered this. Thoughts?
How many of the new states would be red or blue?

It would be batshit crazy.

They say it would help with water rights. It would be much worse.

Why would a smaller state be able to fix the roads with less money?

Do you think the US Congress would set up 12 Senators where there were two?

This is a perfect example of why I think the CA initiative system is fatally flawed. I allows rich people to get their shims on the ballot and cost every other CA millions and millions to set up the vote, advertising and other costs.

I'd be stunned if more than 25-30% would vote for this in CA. Most states have that many crazy people.

it is pretty crazy that a part of the country that huge has the same political power in the senate as Rhode Island

The state of Jefferson movement has been around for a while now. Won't happen, but there are a lot of people who take that shit seriously.

If you have enough money to send people out to get signatures you can get anything on the ballot.

If your signatures collectors are either aggressive enough or sweet enough, many people will sign just to get them to stop.

Doesn't fit perfectly, but the liberal/conservative split in CA used to be North/South, but now it's East/West. Barbara Boxer's old House district used to be SF, Marin County, and Sonoma County. Now it's a narrow coastal band that runs from the Golden Gate Bridge to the Oregon border. Pretty much everything North of Sacramento and East of I-5 is conservative. Population density is extremely low in those regions.

It depends on what you call south. LA is in the bottom 1/4 of the state. That's pretty far south.

Of the proposed six states:

Silicon Valley (SF) and West California (LA) would be blue states and Central California (Fresno) would be red and all three states would be ideologically pure. North California (Sacramento) would be blue, but competitive. Jefferson (far North) would be red, but competitive because of Humboldt and Mendocino counties. South California (San Diego) would be the only true swing state because of the polarization between the beach towns in Orange and San Diego counties vs inland Eastern counties.

Back