• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Browser and PC affects online shopping prices

Occasionally I'll pull up Amazon items on a different IP with an anonymous browser just to make sure prices aren't drastically different. I rarely see any difference though. Amazon applies quite a lot of pricing heuristics, but I think in most cases it's dropping them for me to encourage me to buy.

That trick (leaving the item in the cart for 24 hours) usually does work, and not just on Amazon either.

Yeah, the shopping cart trick works like a charm. I use that all the time.

I get amused when I shop rental car prices from several different machines (i.e. work, home, mobile) for the same date and airport. The price will automatically increase since their system reads that as increased interest/demand.

I never knew this. Was searching rental cars on my Mac for the Boston Airport and I could not believe the prices I was getting (high), was telling the wife about it and she pulled out her PC and got prices WAY lower from the same search service. First regret for using a Mac in years.

I get amused when I shop rental car prices from several different machines (i.e. work, home, mobile) for the same date and airport. The price will automatically increase since their system reads that as increased interest/demand.

This can happen with airfare as well when you're using non-airline search sites.

Back