• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bruce Weber: Fired... Targeting Shaka (who says no)

Wake has gotten better talent than Illinois and NC State over the last ten years. The problem is we've never had a coach that has developed a great offense and defense at the same time (Skip was getting there but that is a matter of opinion at best).

Root for Myck Kabongo and J'Covan Brown to turn pro this year.

Wake has gotten better talent than Illinois and NC State over the last ten years. The problem is we've never had a coach that has developed a great offense and defense at the same time (Skip was getting there but that is a matter of opinion at best).

That's why Wake is a desirable job. Even with the intangibles being as bad as they possibly can be right now, we can still pull in a top 20 class.

Illinois is expected to target Lorenzo Romar (UW) and Anthony Grant (Bama), but honestly those seem like reaches to me. Illinois is a good program, but not an elite one.

Jeff Goodman thinks that the eventual target might be Reggie Theus. Seems that there are several big time Illinois donors pushing for him due to his connections to the Chicago area.

Everyone in the Big Ten recruits Chicago - it isn't an advantage for Illinois

IL will not be a Top 3 Big W Can't Count program any time soon. Hell it's going to have to fight to make top half of the league.

I am on a role lately. I hope my NBA playoff picks are as good as my last several predictions, because I am leaning towards a Spurs - Heat final right now.

I am on a ROLL lately. I hope my NBA playoff picks are as good as my last several predictions, because I am leaning towards a Spurs - Heat final right now.

Even I couldn't do that typo. :)

Why? You think Rick Barnes leaves if that happens, or you think he gets fired next year when they suck?

He's clearly plateaued at Texas and the fans are not happy. They have unlimited money and won't be afraid to throw it around. Even if he's not fired after next season, he could very well see the writing on the wall and make a preemptive move himself. It just makes sense on so many levels. Just remember who invented this happening.

He's clearly plateaued at Texas and the fans are not happy. They have unlimited money and won't be afraid to throw it around. Even if he's not fired after next season, he could very well see the writing on the wall and make a preemptive move himself. It just makes sense on so many levels. Just remember who invented this happening.

I agree with Hogie here. Texas is headed in the wrong direction. They were worse in the NCAA tournament this year than they were when we beat them in the 2010 tournament.

Let's hope they decide they need a culture change...

As soon as he won a game in the tourney he was staying.

If Texas has a down year or loses again in the first round, look for Barnes to become available in one way or another.

I kind of think Shaka sees himself leading the revolution of mid-majors over their traditional power conference overlords. I mean, compare him with Larranaga, who had similar success in the same conference and then jumped to a middling major conference team. This year Miami had an ok year, was on the bubble, and lost in the second round of the NIT. Whereas Shaka is competing for CAA titles every year, threatening deep runs in the tournament, and has a fanbase as if not more rabid for basketball than most in the ACC (compare that with Miami, lol).

A few down years in a row in recruiting could blow up his grandiose dreams, though. As others have said, it would be great if that timing lined up with a Wake offer.

I kind of think Shaka sees himself leading the revolution of mid-majors over their traditional power conference overlords. I mean, compare him with Larranaga, who had similar success in the same conference and then jumped to a middling major conference team. This year Miami had an ok year, was on the bubble, and lost in the second round of the NIT. Whereas Shaka is competing for CAA titles every year, threatening deep runs in the tournament, and has a fanbase as if not more rabid for basketball than most in the ACC (compare that with Miami, lol).

A few down years in a row in recruiting could blow up his grandiose dreams, though. As others have said, it would be great if that timing lined up with a Wake offer.

Exactly, and a competitive salary and all the job security in the world. He can afford to wait for the perfect situation or turn his program into Gonzaga.

I think we overestimate the "prestige of our once proud basketball tradition". Come on. Two ACC championships in the last 40 years. No final fours.

The value of the Wake job has always been the ACC. With the continuing decline of the ACC that value is really sinking.

And all of the access to television that other conferences have that used to hardly ever play TV games. UNC-G was even on TV 3 or 4 times this year.

Back