• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Build a wall between WFU and WSSU

Dear Students, Faculty and Staff,

I learned of an Instagram post last night that has created deep concern and anger among many members of the Wake Forest community and the Winston-Salem State University community. While the intent of the authors may have been a parody of a national issue, it was deeply offensive and unacceptable.

The impact on the community is widespread and harmful, regardless of the original intent. We are gathering details about this incident. What I can share with you at this time is that the student in the image was away for the weekend and did not participate in posting the image. He is not running for Student Government President. A team led by the Dean of Students is investigating the matter further and will report their findings to me.

I am deeply troubled by this incident and have called my colleague Winston-Salem State University Chancellor Elwood Robinson, to express my concern. The message disparaged an institution whose values and mission we embrace and with whom we are building increased collaboration that brings our communities together. Chancellor Robinson is a dear friend.

I would like to thank the students who called the post to our attention through the bias reporting system and am grateful to students, faculty and staff who have shared their personal experiences with me.

I encourage each of us to redouble our efforts in the days ahead to listen to and support those who are hurting.

Nathan O. Hatch
President

Man, I guess I’m #dense because I saw that and assumed it was a joke about a wall because our president is a fucking idiot and WSSU is just the closest school to joke about.

61798908.jpg

Man, I guess I’m #dense because I saw that and assumed it was a joke about a wall because our president is a fucking idiot and WSSU is just the closest school to joke about.

You can't be serious...

Well apparently some assholes at Wake are triggered by WSSU.

Although twice this week I have seen racist dog whistle used on line.

I guess it is a trend.

Maybe if we gave them the insulted hoops coach. They would feel better

Avatar is very appropriate. Since mods won’t restrict lectro to a thread can they at least volunteer that picture for him as well?

And some assholes on the internet are triggered by everything they could remotely throw on the "racism" wall.

So making a “build the wall” reference to an HBCU is not racism. Gotcha. Maybe you need to think about why people would think it is. Maybe some aspects of this nation’s history or town/gown relationships.

So making a “build the wall” reference to an HBCU is not racism. Gotcha. Maybe you need to think about why people would think it is. Maybe some aspects of this nation’s history or town/gown relationships.

No, making a "build the wall" reference to a neighbor school is a shot at the President. Maybe you need to grow a fucking skin.

Do any of you always offended people ever think that something happens, and the parties just happen to be one race or another, or is there always a conspiracy to fit your narrative?

Weird how many things happen between people who just happen to be different races from each other.

Weird how many things happen between people who just happen to be different races from each other.

Really? That's your angle? It's a big world, and the US is becoming more diverse (what you wanted, right?) every day. Of course incidents every day happen between races. That's the weakest thing I've ever heard.

If the post had mentioned building a wall between Wake and Salem, would it be misogynastic? If it were between Wake and UNCSA, would it be "Pubs vs. Libs?" Where does it end? Sometimes shit just happens, you're not always a victim.

Of course it’s racist.

That seems to be the presumably intended point.

But I agree (or hope) the target was likely our sorry excuse for a human being (and racist) potus. Not WSSU folks.

Regardless, pretty dumb to not adequately consider (or care) how such a posting would be received.

Back