• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bum Phillips dead at 90

RJKarl

Banhammer'd
Reaction score
He was one of the true characters of the game. I think he was one of the first to use the 3-4.

I still love his statement about Earl Campbell. It was something like this,"I'm not sure if Earl is in a class of his own, but it sure don't take long to take the roll."

RIP

The Houston oilers and earl Campbell coached by Phillips were the first sports team that I really loved...I used to rock a sweet oilers belt buckle to 1st grade! Rip, bum.

He was one of the true characters of the game. I think he was one of the first to use the 3-4.

I still love his statement about Earl Campbell. It was something like this,"I'm not sure if Earl is in a class of his own, but it sure don't take long to take the roll."

RIP

I liked this quote when he was asked about Don Shula. "He can take his'n and beat your'n and take your'n and beat his'n".

A true football icon. I loved watching Dan Pastorini, Billy "White Shoes" Johnson, Earl Campbell, etc. Bum always took his hat off when the team played indoors.

Another good quote when responding to a reporter asking about Earl Campbell being slow to get up after being tackled - "he goes down slow too".

Back