• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Business Casual - What is That?

George: Smart casual, what is that?

Jerry: I don't know but you don't have it.

Don't wear khakis. Button down dress shirt and slacks/suit pants.

Beat me to it. If you're going to a social event, pressed cotton khakis may be OK, but if its business-related I would go with wool slacks and black shoes.

Don't wear khakis. Button down dress shirt and slacks/suit pants.

Agree with this plus add the blazer. It's a potential employer. I don't think you can be "too" dressed up unless you wear a suit. If he is super casual, take your blazer off. If you end up being underdressed, you will feel like a schmo or the potential employer will think you are a schmo.

I'm going to be in big trouble if any interview I go to ever has someone worrying about what shoes I'm wearing.

as long as you wear white pants I think you'll be fine.

But seriously, I agree, overdressing is always better and probably impresses them because it shows that you're taking it seriously.

Threads like this remind me of one of the great perks of my job- the collar. No deciding what to wear on interviews, meetings, around the office.

But agree with what others have said, if a possible employer is going to be there, a button down w/ khakis. Depending on the weather, a sport coat wouldn't hurt.

i wear slacks/coat to work all the time in the fall/winter, and it's business casual.

I really struggle pairing stuff up with sport coats or blazers, so I go suits 4x/week at work. Only have 2 blazers I feel comfortable wearing and they are both navy: one is a Brooks Brothers and the other is a nicer custom Camel Hair. Zero sport coats worth a crap. Tips from you fashionable folks?

There is some concern in going too dressy when they tell you business casual. This is a dinner with an associate and a partner. They're coming from work. Part of the interview process is "do I want to work with this person or does he suck?"

Dress pants, nice shoes/socks, belt, and nice button down. He's in Gainesville people.....not NYC..... it's hot down there this time of year.

Wow, I almost started this exact thread the other day.

Internship fair on Tuesday was "business casual"...I went no tie/jacket and it was fine.

Yeah, I hear you. Business casual shouldn't mean wear a suit without a tie. They probably want to know that you can dress yourself. Any idiot can put on a blue suit and a white shirt with a tie.

You should have a nice blazer, wool slacks, dress loafers, and a decent looking shirt in your wardrobe. If you don't, now is a good time to go buy them.

Dress pants, nice shoes/socks, belt, and nice button down. He's in Gainesville people.....not NYC..... it's hot down there this time of year.

He'll be inside. Wear a jacket.

I understand that the other guys might show up in cotton khakis and polo shirts, but it shouldn't be awkward. You can always take the jacket off and everything is casual.

He'll be inside. Wear a jacket.

I understand that the other guys might show up in cotton khakis and polo shirts, but it shouldn't be awkward. You can always take the jacket off and everything is casual.

If you dress like this guy, you will fit right in.

51zuci.jpg

Just be a boss. Can't go wrong with slacks, pressed simple dress shirt, and a sportcoat.

Back