• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Butch Davis fired

Uh, someone want to tell me what we should take from this?

@ACCSports
ACC Sports RT @MrCFB: Understand that with this announcement, North Carolina has decided to get out of the football business for a while

Not sure. Seems to suggest that they're going to mimic what State did post-Valvano and focus on cleaning up the program.

Not sure. Seems to suggest that they're going to mimic what State did post-Valvano and focus on cleaning up the program.

I think it means they, whether they want to or not, will not be able to get a "name" coach to come there after running off Davis and with NCAA hanging over their head.

It can't be said how awesome it is that we (and many other boards) predicted this exact cycle of events when Butch's hiring was announced. This is similar to Indiana hiring Kelvin Sampson.

Hire shady coach.
Get sweet recruits.
Produce multiple violations.
????
(deacons) profit.

"Oh you're just jealous because Butch is going to turn us into a national power and lead us to a national championship."

I think it means they, whether they want to or not, will not be able to get a "name" coach to come there after running off Davis and with NCAA hanging over their head.

I think it means that the only way UNC will ever be good in football is by having a coach that blatantly cheats. Of course, even then they weren't all that great.

Not to mention I think season ticket orders for the new "Blue Zone" just completed.

Yup, they squeezed the last bit of money out of the "Support Butch" Ram's Clubbers as they could before canning his arse.

Now, all we need are some of the "football faction" to get mad at the "basketball faction" over this mess and start spilling the goods on Roy's boys (who happen to really like the same Swahili classes and use some of the same tutors as the football team).

This is absolutely crazy! There must be an explosion on the horizon and they are desperately trying to minimize the fall-out.

can someone give a quick summary on what packpride's role was in all this mess?

Packpride uncovered the plagerism in McAddoo's paper which heavily contributed to his injunction case being denied. Packpride has further dug into Blake's released phone records and found all sorts of connections between Austin, Blake, Austin's old high school coach, Wichard (agent), and some African Studies "non-profit" located in DC (where Austin is from) that pretty much point to a "pay for play" setup. They are still uncovering connections that haven't been made by the media and I suspect they will continue to do so once the court finally forces the release of Butch's 216 phone records and emails. They've started a Twitter account @TheInfoDrop to release "facts" related to the case for the media and multiple members of the media have admitted via Twitter to following the threads over there to see what information they are digging up.

Yup, they squeezed the last bit of money out of the "Support Butch" Ram's Clubbers as they could before canning his arse.

Now, all we need are some of the "football faction" to get mad at the "basketball faction" over this mess and start spilling the goods on Roy's boys (who happen to really like the same Swahili classes and use some of the same tutors as the football team).

Most of that money is pledged and can be pulled. There are threads on IC discussing how posters are already pulling their pledges.

Maybe we can get the triple shot of major sanctions, crappy coach/team and a stadium of half complete projects for the rest of the decade. Here's hoping

I just wanted to get into this thread to say...

butch-davis.jpg
Simpsons-Nelson-haha.jpg

Schadenfreude and I-told-you-so (right from the start) are kinda fun.

The down side is that I'm gonna miss ol' Butchie, the man of a thousand excuses and nicknames, the man who knew nothing (evil).

UNC football won't be food again for quite some time - it was the academic stuff that scared the board more than anything. They won't risk the reputation of the school over athletics - especially football - and I bet this scares them off for a decade or so.

Big time football at UNC is dead. D.E.A.D.

DrDunk69
Posted: Yesterday 7:43 PM
Re: Who's the next head coach?
Here is what happened. They probably made the decision to fire Butch last week and went ahead and started calling potential coaches and have one lined up already. Why would they can Butch now when the fall camp is about to start. They have to have someone lined up with verbal terms already.

OR (God willing) this becomes another ridiculous process we can all laugh at. What semi-big coach would leave his program he's ready to take on the field in weeks? They're going to have to dig deep for this hire. Who is out of work and in need of redemption?

Most of that money is pledged and can be pulled. There are threads on IC discussing how posters are already pulling their pledges.

Yeah, I was referring to season ticket sales rather than the pledges. Fingers still crossed that this brings the fball vs bball war out into the open.

Our coaches need to be on this ASAP. We lost several targets to those pricks over the past couple of recruiting classes and there have to be several kids floating out there that might be looking for a new home now. Just recently Terrance Knox committed to them and I believe we were his second place team. Stick Galloway on this kid and go get him!

Yeah, this is all good news because it embarrasses Carolina. There is only one slight problem, boys. Carolina has talent THIS year and we have to play them on the road. I'd like to think that is a game we can win. I believe the NCAA meets earlier that week to decide on the sanctions, so it will be a three ring circus in Chapel Hill. But you can't lose sight of the fact they still have a good football team.

Back