• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Buying used laptop on eBay?

demondeachem

Reaction score
Has anyone ever done this? I'm looking to spend <$200 on a netbook so I can try to get some work done on the train every day. I imagine it would also be a convenient computer to travel with.

I am not well-versed in eBay though, so I'm looking for tips on buying used lappys through them.

Has anyone ever done this? I'm looking to spend <$200 on a netbook so I can try to get some work done on the train every day. I imagine it would also be a convenient computer to travel with.

I am not well-versed in eBay though, so I'm looking for tips on buying used lappys through them.

I would personally stay away from a netbook if it's at all possible (assuming you're talking about tiny laptops), they've been pretty much abandoned by now.

What kind of work would you be doing on it? Just email/internet stuff?

Instead of used and someone else's problem...try re-furbished or re-conditioned instead...

Was thinking about email/internet along with some basic word processing and powerpoint stuff.

Have you purchased refurbs before? I've never gone used for tech items, so I'm not sure how confident I can be in something that's a re-furb.

Was thinking about email/internet along with some basic word processing and powerpoint stuff.

Have you purchased refurbs before? I've never gone used for tech items, so I'm not sure how confident I can be in something that's a re-furb.

I'd be more comfortable w/ a refurb vs a used laptop off eBay to be honest.

Have you looked at a new chromebook or maybe a tablet + bluetooth keyboard to accomplish what you need? The former start at $199, and I think you can do basic power points on them using office web apps (and of course you can use google docs to make those things as well).

Have owned several refurbs. The seller usually provides a warranty. Never had any problems.

Hmm... I'll take another look at chromebooks. I've played a bit with the Samsung model that's priced around $250. I would have preferred to stick with Office (as much as I hate it sometimes), but it may be worth it to use Drive. I really just need something small, light, and well-built. Thanks guys.

My BIL is an IT professional and swears by ebay for laptops.

Man, I don't know. I wouldn't buy shit on eBay these days. Too many megastores/super seller types and not nearly as many independent sellers (you're better off on craiglist for those) and w/out the buyer protections that amazon is known for.

That gives me an idea, I wonder if there would be any interest in a "Wake Marketplace" thread or sub forum for wake fans/board posters to sell stuff they want to part ways with...

That gives me an idea, I wonder if there would be any interest in a "Wake Marketplace" thread or sub forum for wake fans/board posters to sell stuff they want to part ways with...

Way too much merchandise to return...would "tilt" the system!

Do not buy a netbook. That market segment is dead. Notebooks are so cheap now and tablets are so high-function, netbooks make no sense.

Well, here is my BIL's rationale: there are dozens of sellers on ebay that purchase used laptops from corporations that have leased them from Dell, etc... They come off lease, are refurbished, and re-sold. I bought one a few years ago, had no problems.

Back