• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BUZZ THE FUDGE IN!!!!

I'm suspect of Kenpom's ability to quantify a blowout loss as compared to a loss by 15, 10, 5, etc. Losing by 36 (as we did to NC State) was horrible, but it wasn't horrible because we played like our metrics say we should. It was horrible because we played like our metrics say we should until we were down by 15, and then we rolled over, McKie got thrown out, we surrendered, etc. A game like that HAS to skew the metrics, but I realize those bad minutes account for maybe 1/40th of the season's data thus far. Which then makes you question, who cares about blowout losses in the metrics? This Luck crap doesn't take into account blowout losses, does it?

How's that for circular, drunken thinking?

There is no luck, outside of officiating decisions, in most sports. It's a lazy argument, IMO.

I'm suspect of Kenpom's ability to quantify a blowout loss as compared to a loss by 15, 10, 5, etc. Losing by 36 (as we did to NC State) was horrible, but it wasn't horrible because we played like our metrics say we should. It was horrible because we played like our metrics say we should until we were down by 15, and then we rolled over, McKie got thrown out, we surrendered, etc. A game like that HAS to skew the metrics, but I realize those bad minutes account for maybe 1/40th of the season's data thus far. Which then makes you question, who cares about blowout losses in the metrics? This Luck crap doesn't take into account blowout losses, does it?

How's that for circular, drunken thinking?

Haha, I don't know what most of this means. I will say:

-"This luck crap" absolutely does take into account blowout losses. The ability to blow teams out (or, in our case, the inability to avoid getting blown out) says a lot about a team's strength.*

-We were getting absolutely demolished before Mckie got thrown out. I don't think that is a viable excuse for any part of that game.

*This FO article from a while back sums the argument up nicely. And here's the basketball data.

Last edited:
Back