• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Buzz to the Nuggets?

I don't think I've ever opened a thread hoping to see some kind of URL as much as this.

Rumor is that Memphis and the Clippers are fighting over Karl; a related rumor is that Denver wants to Hollins; so, we may get a trade of head coaches.

Rumor is that Memphis and the Clippers are fighting over Karl; a related rumor is that Denver wants to Hollins; so, we may get a trade of head coaches.

What the hell is wrong with Memphis? Hollins pulled them out of the dirt and they don't want to retain him?

What the hell is wrong with Memphis? Hollins pulled them out of the dirt and they don't want to retain him?

The Memphis front office is one of the biggest proponents of metrics in the NBA. They hired Hollinger from ESPN and are paying him a ton to do his thing with statistics. The new ownership is led by Robert Pera. He's mid 30s and comes from a techy background. Also very supportive and buys into the new metrics wave in the NBA.

Hollins is old school. He's more like the scout that believes in the eye test and feelings, trusting his instincts on players.

The two are at huge conflict with each other. Hollins was PISSED at the Rudy Gay trade. Thought ownership dismantled a good team mid season and traded his best player. Rudy is a terrible metrics player and his salary didn't support his value. Hollins had to bite his tongue after the team got on a roll. On the other hand, the front office is PISSED about playing time and a lot of Hollins rotations. For example the metrics highly favor Ed Davis over Darrell Arthur, but Hollins insisted on burying Davis and playing Arthur.

It really is a wierd situation for the Grizzlies. Ownership would probably like to find a new coach more on the same page with their philosophy. But the city of Memphis and fans love the current team (Hollins included). If they don't bring him back and performance declines next year, the fanbase will be very, very angry. I'm not sure it's a risk they are willing to take because the entire city of Memphis LOVES LOVES LOVES the Grizzlies right now and that leads to massive revinues. The ideal situation for ownership in Memphis would be for the Nets, Nuggests or Clippers to offer Hollins an enormous contract. That way, they could say they were "outbid" and couldn't afford him and move in a different direction.

Posted this on the NBA thread.

s_bzdelik_i.jpg

Please let this writer be on the search committee!

The Top 5 Denver Nuggets head coaching performances (since I've been old enough to appreciate them)...
#5 - George Karl (2004-05)
#4 - Dan Issel (1993-94)
#3 - Doug Moe (1987-88)
#2 - Doug Moe (1984-85)
#1 - Jeff [Redacted] (2002-03)

Jeff [Redacted] will go down in history as our most underrated coach. Don't believe me? I refer to his record in just two years at the Air Force Academy and to what he will do with the University of Colorado over the next three years as proof.

Watch out Big 12!

http://www.denverstiffs.com/2008/03/...-coaching.html

The comments are hilarious.

I'm still holding out hope that the WNBA will come calling for Bz, although I think the Australian Women's National Basketball League is the more likely landing spot.

Back