• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Buzz Williams

Whit Babcock (their AD) is the antithesis of Wellman. He prodded Beamer out the door before things got any worse but worked a deal to keep Beamer's best coordinator. He hired a football head coach who won 10 games his first year. He ran off the women's bb coach from the previous administration and hired a successful replacement who, in his first year, has VT women undefeated and in the Top 20. And, he somehow convinced Buzz Williams to come to Blacksburg to replace a guy who the previous AD had hired and who Babcock fired after only two years ... none of this let a mistake run until the program is decimated like a certain Wake AD is prone to do. And, to the point of this thread - yes, Buzz Williams is a helluva coach and a helluva man.

True all that. But we have to have a Prez & administration who are going to make the AD make changes or by this time change the AD for just his poor decision in getting "named redacted" as bball coach first and then not firing him after 2 years when it was very apparent he couldn't do the job! But remember, this is the guy who kept Jim Caldwell at least 2 years too long. And while he has shown he is a very good NFL coach, back then he was NOT a good college coach [he was about 17% ACC record & about 32% overall record]. He fired a 600 win & 3 time ACC baseball champ baseball coach in 2004 [608-382 in 17 seasons] and we see what baseball has done in the 12 seasons since--142-142 & 61-87 for Ron Rembielak and 196-198 & 85-124 for current coach Tom Walter.

We as an overall school have to want to win from the President, Trustees and AD on down to the admissions department making everybody on the same page. Until that happens, forget it. Hatch is just a major fund raiser and Wellman is just coasting because Hatch does not oversee what he does, obviously. ACC TV monies have made up for all those empty seats in BB & T Field and the LJVM for the last 7-8 years at both venues.

What I appreciate the most about this video is that Buzz did this last spring, before all of the Colin Kaepernick publicity. Its more genuine than just being reactionary.

Buzz Williams got handed a worse situation than DM and they are a top 25 team. They are also doing this without big name recruits. Coaching matters a lot and we don't have it. Props to VT for showing what a real rebuild is supposed to look like.

He has something of an advantage over Manning by being able to stock up on transfers and JUCOs. Three of the 8 in his regular rotation fall into those categories. The similarity between the programs was shown today when Seth Allen's minutes (out with a concussion) were taken by a walk-on.

Good point on the JUCOs. As I understand it Wake won't take Jucos unless they would have qualified out of HS. Does anyone know how many other ACC schools restrict Juco recruiting?

Its worse than just the qualification issue. Wake rarely accepts JuCo credits so transfers should be Jr's to meet NCAA requirements, but have almost no credits that Wake recognizes so they would be ineligible. Thus they don't come to Wake.

Last edited:
Guess Buzz didn't notice that not all of the military he was talking about were men. I know I'm on an island here, but I did not like it as much as most of you. Do this behind closed doors. Why did this need to be filmed? If I'm one of his players and he does this with a lot of cameras, I'm thinking it's contrived. And acknowledge there is a woman, who probably went through a lot more than many of the men she was standing with.

Last edited:
VTech 1-2 in ACC same as Wake. VTech 41 kenpom, Wake 43. Makes you wonder!

VT won at home and lost 2 on the road. They're in better shape than us especially since their home win was against the highest ranked team in the conference. Meanwhile we lost a home game to an unranked opponent.

Wake top 5 OOC schedule, VTech weak OOC schedule. VTech beat Duke without Grayson Allen, lost by 30 to State and gave FSU basically no challenge today. See the difference?

Not sure of your point.

Still think VT will finish up at least .500 in conference and make the tourney. And FSU isn't a bad loss. FSU is better than VT and will finish in the top 3-4 in the ACC. FSU gets after it on the defensive end and has Louisville type length and athleticism. And this year's backcourt has them scoring more consistently on offense, which hasn't exactly been a trademark of Hamilton's past teams.

FSU and VT are both good teams. Any one of FSU's athletic wings would significantly improve our team.

FSU and VT are both good teams. Any one of FSU's athletic wings would significantly improve our team.

Has FSU ever won the ACC regular season or tourney? Seems like they won the tourney once. But yeah, this FSU team could do either, and that UVA/FSU game here last week is the best game I've seen live so far this year. This is the best FSU team since they started Ward, Cassell, Sura, Dobard and Edwards. That 91 or 92 team was my favorite FSU team ever. I think they lost to that Kentucky buzzsaw that year in like the elite 8.

Not sure of your point.

His take is that VT's OOC schedule was so weak, that they are probably going to have to win at least 10 ACC games to make the NCAA's. Its feasible that Wake could get in at 9-9.

He could have brought the vets in to explain how war sucks. Nothing good about it and why we need to remove ourselves from the endless wars we are currently engaged in. The fucking national anthem has nothing to do with being respectful or a patriot.

My point is people are calling for Manning to be fired and making Buzz Williams to be perfect. You could make a case were a better team right now despite the records.

Has FSU ever won the ACC regular season or tourney? Seems like they won the tourney once. But yeah, this FSU team could do either, and that UVA/FSU game here last week is the best game I've seen live so far this year. This is the best FSU team since they started Ward, Cassell, Sura, Dobard and Edwards. That 91 or 92 team was my favorite FSU team ever. I think they lost to that Kentucky buzzsaw that year in like the elite 8.

Don't think they have won the regular season, but they won the tourney in 2012, beating Carolina. Played in the tourney final in 2009 (I think that's right) and lost to Duke at the Georgia Dome.

You might mean '93 SE Regionals in Charlotte where Kentucky annihilated Wake and FSU took WKU in a really exciting game. I sold my tickets to big blue army fans and bolted before the finals. However, this could have also happened in years prior. Too long ago.

Last edited:
Back