• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Buzz

We definitely would've lost that game last year. I think Tony Chennault is a huge factor, CJ not having to handle the ball all the time keeps him much more fresh. Put the ball in his hands to make a play last night was the right call and he took advantage of worn out Nebraska team. Love how this team plays together unlike last year and the foundation is being laid for sure. One game doesn't make up for everything, but perhaps there was more going on behind the scenes with personnel last year than anyone realized.

Happy about the win, but still firmly bzzzout. One game does not a coaching career make.

Also, it took a buzzerbeater to defeat a team picked to finish 11th in the big 10.

Can people please stop comparing wins this season to last season, the lowest season in recent memory of Wake basketball?

That isn't the proper barometer to determine the success of this team. Never has been, never will be.

With the score tied and in a timeout, I said to my wife, Bz is supposedly an Xs-n-Os coach, so we should win this if that's true.
But then their D was stupid bad and CJ got away with a travel so still up in the air :D

Can people please stop comparing wins this season to last season, the lowest season in recent memory of Wake basketball?

That isn't the proper barometer to determine the success of this team. Never has been, never will be.

What are we supposed to compare this season to then - one of our best years? That wouldn't be fair. If you are going to judge coaching ability, you have to look at what the coach does with the resources at hand. In our case, the most obvious thing to do is look at how our team played last year and compare it to how we are playing this year. Much of the personnel is the same so you judge whether the team, and those same players, have improved or not.

I don't think there is any question that this year's team is miles ahead of last year's team. Whether you want to give Buzz any credit for that or not is up to you.

No one is happy with the fact that we are celebrating a close win over a projected bottom-feeder from the Big 10 - NO ONE. But, given what the program has been through the past couple of years, the current talent level, having only 8 active scholarship players, etc. - seeing marked improvement is something to celebrate. It gives reasonable people hope that, with the influx of upgraded talent next year and a little luck going forward, perhaps we can get back to where we used to be.

I think what dv7 is saying is that we shouldn't be happy because we aren't having the worst season in the history of the program. We aren't out of the shithole yet.

Improvement is a different thing. Hopefully we can keep it up.

But, given what the program has been through the past couple of years, the current talent level, having only 8 active scholarship players, etc. - seeing marked improvement is something to celebrate. It gives reasonable people hope that, with the influx of upgraded talent next year and a little luck going forward, perhaps we can get back to where we used to be.

1) Past couple of years? Last year was the only bad year I remember. There seems to be some revisionist history going on around here in which we've been bad for a while and everyone knew well before last season started that we were going to be epically bad.

2) I am very happy to see improvement this year, but it seemed to take place in the off-season. It worries me that we didn't show any improvement last season while Bzz was working with the players every day. Won't really be able to see the full picture until we see whether we've peaked for the season (as we did last year at this time), or not.

3) Hold on now. You don't get to define what "reasonable" people think. I know quite a few reasonable people who still don't have much hope that we will get back to where we used to be under Bzz's direction.

Only got to see the last 10 minutes of the game but what I saw was encouraging. Couple of strong defensive stops, couple of good looks where shots didn't fall, and that last play was drawn up beautifully. AND IT DOESN'T WORK if Carson doesn't set a strong pick at the top of the key. Great, great finish from CJ.

This team still has a long way to go, but they're playing good team basketball and they look like they're having fun again. Hopefully we'll keep improving and regardless of the record at the end of the season, we'll be able to say that our guys hustled a lot, improved as the season went on, and are hungry for something more with a talent infusion in 2012

1) Past couple of years? Last year was the only bad year I remember. There seems to be some revisionist history going on around here in which we've been bad for a while and everyone knew well before last season started that we were going to be epically bad.

2) I am very happy to see improvement this year, but it seemed to take place in the off-season. It worries me that we didn't show any improvement last season while Bzz was working with the players every day. Won't really be able to see the full picture until we see whether we've peaked for the season (as we did last year at this time), or not.

3) Hold on now. You don't get to define what "reasonable" people think. I know quite a few reasonable people who still don't have much hope that we will get back to where we used to be under Bzz's direction.

I was just saying it seems like our run of bad luck goes back at least a couple of years.... ever since the curse of the nut punch was placed upon us...

And, all I said was that reasonable people have hope that PERHAPS we can get back to where we were - if that is a light at the end of the tunnel, it is still very far away, very dim, and could still just be another train...

Happy about the win, but still firmly bzzzout. One game does not a coaching career make.

Also, it took a buzzerbeater to defeat a team picked to finish 11th in the big 10.

You'd think this part is a joke....

Well PSU was projected 12th (and they beat BC in Boston) and Indiana was projected 10th (and they beat NCSU in Raleigh). Minnesota (9th) beat VT and Northwestern (7th) smoked GT. It sounds like we fared better than a lot of our ACC brethren.

Back