• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bz Says He Must Win! Oh Really Now!

Buzz searching for pointers from other coaches reminds me of this old gem:

dino_lecture.jpg

Was that about the time you adopted this "grand experiment" line of reasoning with Bzzzz I see.

For the record, I said when Bzzzz was first leaked that it would be one of the biggest mistakes our program could ever make with a ceiling being a multi-year process to get us back to where we were at the time and the floor being an absolute disaster. Probably both are true still and not mutually exclusive since I didn't figure our bubble year would be followed by having to turn over 60% of the roster.

I have tried to be fair during his rare fleeting moments of success here, but they have quickly passed
One is either fair or not. IMO "Trying" to be fair is just an excuse for not wanting to be fair...but there is a lot of that going around so you're in good company....well, the numbers favor you for sure.

My take that this is Wellman's grand experiment to correct all the "problems" with Dino....by hiring the bball version of Grobe to instill the culture and fundamentals that were "lacking".....started at day 1 of Bz's tenure so you tell me. That's the only rationale I could come up with that explained everything and things since has followed that theory to a "T". Wellman put Bz in a bad position for bad reasons on top of the issues Bz has himself. My take that this was a southern WASP vs northern non-WASP thing more than anything is the reach...but IMO likely played a role.

Considering we were near one of the high points of the program at the time of the switch, having canned the most successful coach by record, your prediction that we'd either get back there or have absolute disaster, covers just about all the possibilities other than an Elite 8 appearance...doesn't it? Most people seemed to think a ceiling was lower...more like our version of Sendek....and that absolute disaster did not mean losing to multiple >200 RPI teams (and lose badly), more like the typical historical lows of an average ACC team maybe leaning towards the bottom of that range (RPI wise). I don't think people expected worse than Stack. We had program momentum.

No FIFY is necessary. I meant that. You cannot rely on that one postseason at Air Force or half of a season at Denver, to overshadow decades worth of crap work, since UMBC. This has been repeated countless times, since the hire.
Repeating something countless times means it's true!

Repeating something countless times means it's true!

Apparently, not to someone that is living in revisionist history. You said no one predicted this coaching disaster would be so bad. My point is that people were pointing to his piss poor coaching record from the very beginning of the hire, as a sign to just how terrible he would be in a much more competitive ACC. I know you don't want to acknowledge this, but I'm sure you can find someone that can bring up postings from TOB from 3 years ago that can say exactly that.

The sky is blue.

I think his point is that people thought it would be a dumpster fire, but they didn't predict how hot the fire would be.

Back