• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bzzzz v Staak - By The Numbers

NashvegasDeac

Reaction score
Sorry if this is a Haas, and hope my formatting works, but after going to my 2nd game of the season yesterday while visiting family in W-S, and talking to my folks today (who are long-time Deacon Club members and very much over Bzzz AND Wellman), I thought I'd compare Bzzz's performance over his first 3 seasons with the performance of the previous "worst" coach we've had, the infamous Bob Staak, over his 4 horrible seasons at the helm. For Bzzz's numbers, I assumed we're going to lose out the last 5 games on our schedule - hate to say it, but I think it's a safe assumption.

The numbers speak for themselves ...

OVERALL
Staak - 45 wins/69 losses (avg 11 wins/17 losses) - 39.5%
Bzzz - 32 wins/61 losses (avg 11 wins/20 losses) - 34.4%

ACC
Staak - 8 wins/48 losses (avg 2 wins/12 losses) - 14.3%
Bzzz - 9 wins/41 losses (avg 3 wins/14 losses) - 18%

Off top my head they each have/had one signature win..... pretty sure Staak won a game v UNC and of course Bz has the State game. I'd be interested in the scoring differentials... I dont recall his many blow out losses and loses to this many inferior teams, stand to be corrected though

It is sad that NC State is our "signature" win.

Yeah those signature wins are not comparable. Huge advantage Staak.

And the ACC records aren't comparable either. Much better league than it is now.

NC State has emerged as a very average team. In addition, they played Sunday evening and then played us on a Tuesday with barely 48 hours rest.

So, I'm not sure I would consider the NCSU game as a "signature" win.

State is not a signature win. Let's get real. I believe Staak beat a top 5 team. This is so fucking depressing.

Hey Dino? Any signature wins during the regular season? Fuck you buddy... here comes your replacement.

It's totally Bz's signature win. It's just a signature win that is as impressive as Bz himself. It tells you all you need to know.

Exactly. The ACC, and College Hoops for that matter, SUCKS BALLS compared to when Staak was here.

And the ACC records aren't comparable either. Much better league than it is now.

Another signature win for Staak, arguably more impressive than the UNC win, was against Clemson in the ACC tourny. "Clemson, orly?" you younguns may ask. Yes, Clemson, 25-6 that year with Horace Grant.

Who cares about signature wins if you just end up with a losing record every year?

Not much better league. More like not even comparable league. Deano, Relationships, Valvano, Driesell (but then Wade), Cremins in his prime, Holland and even Cliff Ellis had Horace Grant and Elden Campbell. Today's ACC is a complete joke. I welcome our Syracuse, Pitt and Notre Dame overlords. And to say Notre Dame will be 1 of the ACC's overlords in BASKETBALL shows how much of a joke the conference has become.

Seriously. Lightning in a bottle isn't impressive.

You are a young man and don't remember those days, so I'll confirm this. Those days sucked. They only served to make the Rodney/Chill/Duncan era even greater than we could have imagined. I was a guest on the bench at Duncan's first home game against Fairfield, I believe, and he was a recruiting afterthought. But I've never seen a guy so fucking intense in warmups. He had no clue if he would even play but the kid was all business. Sorry... I'm losing sight of the incredible strides Bzz is making in the culture of the program under Herr Wellman... just strolling down memory lane.

This unwiped era of Wake basketball should be blacked out from the history books.

I was there too.... sucked. AND we had to go to GSO for games. At least we were still going to games....

I was there too.... sucked. AND we had to go to GSO for games. At least we were still going to games....

Nothing like bussing to Greensboro for a "home" game against Michael Jordan and James Worthy. Boy, that was fun.

yeah.... but then the Joel opened and we had brought GDO in. Good times in the 90s.

I never ever dreamed that we would find ourselves in a position once again where we might compare our situation to the one under Staak ... and then conclude that Staak was better. Unbelievable.

Back