• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Cable Modem/WIFI Router Question

GaDeac

Reaction score
My wife and I are moving and I am trying to determine what I am going to need to set up WIFI at our new house.

We have always had AT&T DSL and I have a great WIFI router that I purchased about eight months ago. When we move, our only choice for internet/television will be Comcast. I am hoping to not have to rent the modem from Comcast, and had a question...

If I purchase a cable modem that works with Comcast internet, can I use my current WIFI router with that modem. Or, since I am moving from DSL to cable internet, do I have to get all new equipment?

We currently live in a large house and I bought a NETGEAR Nighthawk R7000-100NAS, which gives us great coverage over the entire house. I'm now moving into an apartment, but was hoping to keep the signal strength of the Nighthawk without having to buy new equipment.

Any help on what to buy, if I do need to buy all new equipment, is appreciated as well. I've always lived in a small town and haven't had to worry about cable internet before.

Thanks Racer. I had seen where you had recommended that modem on another thread and am thrilled it will work with my current router.

'a modem almost routed' is goddamn gold

Back