• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Calling: Mike Olson...

Is Souza really projected to be a starting OG?

Olson is a monster! I'm really excited to watch the D this year.

I think we will see more quality depth...we are not loaded with experience but we have many more nimble footed-big bodied kids than at any time in Grobe's tenure.

LT - Frank Souza 6'4-300 RS JR -- Dennis Godfrey took some time to get past nagging injuries and position shuffles. He landed at LT as a JR much like Souza. Frank is ox-strong having recorded a 350 lb clean and jerk in HS. Alabama had an offer for Frank but only as an OL. As it was he received over 20 offers including Auburn. The guy has the physical qualifications and may have found his natural fit.

LG - Antonio Ford 6'3-317 RS Soph. -- Pahokee product has long been considered a "cant miss" prospect. Pro football build and another kid who was close to being quick enough to be a college DT but realized his future lay on the OL. Over 25 offers from the likes of Tennessee.

C - Garrick Williams 6'4 - 313 RS Sr -- played as well or better than any other WF lineman in Bowl game versus Mississippi St. (an Miss. St. DL with NFL talent across!) -- perfect fit for the new coach. Himebaugh was a team Captain for USC while playing Center. Garrick follows a lineage of 2 star OL's @ WF who grind until they become All-League candidates. That is Himebaugh's aim...to see Garrick follow Russell Nenon and Blake Lingruen and be the leader of this unit. The relationship of ex-Center to Center is a perfect segueway for Himebaugh to begin his career.

RG - Daniel Blitch 6'6-320 RS Soph -- brawny Georgian has the body and attitude to write his own ticket. Daniel has the chance to be a 3 year starter and joins the triumvirate of Ford and Summers as 'anchors' for Himebaugh's first wave of protege's. Teams with Summers on the right side to give WF a real nasty look.

RT - Colin Summers 6'5-325 RS Soph -- big boy with a fighter's mentality on the gridiron. Mauler with size and smarts who also plays till the whistle. Brings a different mindset for WF...usually the big kids at Wake are a bit more staid and laid back (think Louis Frazier) whereas Colin is not afraid to get into a skirmish. Great guy to go to battle with.

I think we will see more quality depth...we are not loaded with experience but we have many more nimble footed-big bodied kids than at any time in Grobe's tenure.

LT - Frank Souza 6'4-300 RS JR -- Dennis Godfrey took some time to get past nagging injuries and position shuffles. He landed at LT as a JR much like Souza. Frank is ox-strong having recorded a 350 lb clean and jerk in HS. Alabama had an offer for Frank but only as an OL. As it was he received over 20 offers including Auburn. The guy has the physical qualifications and may have found his natural fit.

LG - Antonio Ford 6'3-317 RS Soph. -- Pahokee product has long been considered a "cant miss" prospect. Pro football build and another kid who was close to being quick enough to be a college DT but realized his future lay on the OL. Over 25 offers from the likes of Tennessee.

C - Garrick Williams 6'4 - 313 RS Sr -- played as well or better than any other WF lineman in Bowl game versus Mississippi St. (an Miss. St. DL with NFL talent across!) -- perfect fit for the new coach. Himebaugh was a team Captain for USC while playing Center. Garrick follows a lineage of 2 star OL's @ WF who grind until they become All-League candidates. That is Himebaugh's aim...to see Garrick follow Russell Nenon and Blake Lingruen and be the leader of this unit. The relationship of ex-Center to Center is a perfect segueway for Himebaugh to begin his career.

RG - Daniel Blitch 6'6-320 RS Soph -- brawny Georgian has the body and attitude to write his own ticket. Daniel has the chance to be a 3 year starter and joins the triumvirate of Ford and Summers as 'anchors' for Himebaugh's first wave of protege's. Teams with Summers on the right side to give WF a real nasty look.

RT - Colin Summers 6'5-325 RS Soph -- big boy with a fighter's mentality on the gridiron. Mauler with size and smarts who also plays till the whistle. Brings a different mindset for WF...usually the big kids at Wake are a bit more staid and laid back (think Louis Frazier) whereas Colin is not afraid to get into a skirmish. Great guy to go to battle with.

I think we will be pleasantly suprised with our OL play this year. Got to know Daniel and his father, great guys.

I would never doubt you my man lectro!

But my Intel tells me if Chase does a couple things this summer to get back in good graces he will be back at LT and Frank will go to RG next to Colin.

All eyes will be on this group this summer!

I think we will be pleasantly suprised with our OL play this year. Got to know Daniel and his father, great guys.

We best be surprised or we will have a very disappointing season! Hope you are correct.

Is Kevin Sousa #2 QB? Or is it Cross? I admit to being fascinated with Sousa's size and mobility; however, I understand that his passing skills are behind. Anyone know how he is progressing and the likelihood that he will get substantial playing time this season?

Also, any information on Airyn Willis?

I would never doubt you my man lectro!

But my Intel tells me if Chase does a couple things this summer to get back in good graces he will be back at LT and Frank will go to RG next to Colin.

All eyes will be on this group this summer!

Its gonna be a fight for positions... Dylan Heartsill is healing up -- took some good shots and got dinged but it was an important step for him to get back. His prognosis remains 100% recovery expected. Thus far nobody has been able to displace him (as long as he's healthy). I suspect he, Chase, Souza, and Bolling will have a heated competition for that LT spot.

Summers problem is he can't stay on the field. He is also better suited for guard than tackle. Chase will start as long as he keeps his 'i's dotted and 't's crossed.

Summers problem is he can't stay on the field. He is also better suited for guard than tackle. Chase will start as long as he keeps his 'i's dotted and 't's crossed.

Agreed but I think that move was out of necessity more than anything. He is a big hulking guy that can certainly play, but I would be surprised if his future is at tackle.

Agree, Colin is a G. We look pretty good with Souza, Ford, Irby and Summers at G.

I also think WF has one of the top 3 LB units in the ACC...

Our LB's are sick with it...can't wait to see them popping some people

This could be a fun year, not only because we have lots of talent but because no one outside Winston-Salem believes in us. Shock the world circa 2006, gentlemen.

We best be surprised or we will have a very disappointing season! Hope you are correct.

Is Kevin Sousa #2 QB? Or is it Cross? I admit to being fascinated with Sousa's size and mobility; however, I understand that his passing skills are behind. Anyone know how he is progressing and the likelihood that he will get substantial playing time this season?

Also, any information on Airyn Willis?

I think Kevin will likely be 3rd or 4th string behind Cross and Patrick. He missed a lot of last year with the torn tendons and has some time to make up for.

I actually worry about him transferring sometimes. By the time he becomes serviceable he is going to be a junior and Cameron is going to be ready to take over for Price as RS-Soph that kid has a ton of potential.

^That sounds exactly like what people were saying about Cross when Souza was signed. Kevin has plenty of time to learn the QB craft and WF will have a fine QB after Price leaves. These sort of things will sort themselves out and it's better to have several guys with potential like WF has on the roster. Grobe and Co have shown they know how to coach and recruit a QB and given the caliber of recruits Kevin and Cameron were, they are bound to have another ready to step up when the time comes.

It is good to have kids like Cross who are willing to stay even though they may only see the field barring injury. But I wouldn't blame the kids if he took the route of Ted S. and the kid who went to UCF to try to start somewhere his senior year. BTW Where did Ted go?

Lectro Brother , Mike Olson is all over the field. You see #41 flying in on almost every play he is involved in. Hes got the talent just flown under the radar. He will turn many heads this year.

Lectro Brother , Mike Olson is all over the field. You see #41 flying in on almost every play he is involved in. Hes got the talent just flown under the radar. He will turn many heads this year.

Indeed, and put brother Jackson on the outside where he won't get swallowed up...not enough ass for an inside backer but a perfect OLB makeup. Got to have him run through the ball and be in on every play like Olson. I think Justin's move to his natural position added to his being immersed in the schemes the last 3 years will lead us to see a guy who is 'playing' instead of thinking. -- My optimism springs from having watched the light 'go on' for so many rising Juniors these last 12 years. If a guy comes in and works the program and is able to stay with it then he typically shows up in year 4 as a redshirt JR. -- This is extremely important, in my view, with regards to the type of 2 star athletes the coaches bring in. Some staffs would prefer the most sound player as a 2 star...hoping to bring him in and he'll improve athletcally...this staff at Wake likes to take flyers on pure athletes...the kid may play multiple sports or has come to football late (OT Will Smith for example) and the staff thinks "if we can work together with this guy and he is hungry then by year 3-4 he should show up..."

A guy like Jyles Tucker was a 2 star football player...but he was a 4-5 star athlete. He stayed in the program. 2 star WR (38" vert) Kevin Smith had as much upside and even more hops than Tucker but he was unable to stay in the program and get his 'doctorate' in football.

Eric Berry was a 2 star from Nansemond River and averaged a whopping 22 tackles a game in top level Tidewater Football. The guy was built and could toss guys aside and stone people at 6'2-255... I thought he was a better football player than either 2 star Arnoux or 2 star Curry. But alas, Eric was unable to stay in the program.

So, when you see a guy who used to be 210 pounds on a 6'4 frame...a guy who averaged 20 points and 10 boards in Atlanta and who also had nearly 20 sacks as a SR DE... a kid who was also wanted by another school that takes high caliber raw ath's (Louisville)...a kid with strong character and active parents...well, when you see that 6'4 kid coming on as a 275 pound RS JR. then you are looking at Kris Redding. He has stayed in the program and 'now' is the time when the 3rd and 4th years emerge. Neither Tucker nor Smith did squat prior to the RS JR year...

Now then, I'm not saying "all of these guys are destined to emerge" or "they are all going to be superstars", but pick up your heads and look at this list:

Steven Chase** -- Grayshirt/former 235 lb TE/athletic kid now 315 and 6'7
Frank Souza -- touted OL wanted to be DL/ 300-310 RG /25 offers and Bama 'if play OL'
Duran Lowe -- TB -OLB, coach stated 'best ath I've seen in 13 yrs of Fla. coaching
Devin Bolling -- 265 pound ath new to game -- Virginia Tech offered as an ath -- now 305 pounds/6'5 T
Daniel Vogelsang** -- ex TE/Grayshirt/225 pound hard nose/UK & Cincy wanted as H-Back/ 275 pound DL
Justin Jackson -- Touted / NCSU, Clemson, UNC
Michael Campanaro -- Touted / Under Armour AA
Daniel Mack -- Touted / 25 offers
Quan Rucker -- Touted / Clemson, UNC, State, etc.,
Kris Redding -- see above
Mike Olson -- 2 star 185 lb LB/ William & Mary/ Today: 240 plus lbs/4.65 40/37"vert
Josh Harris -- 2 star from lone star/ dynamic speed/ high ceiling ath looks to put "nagging" behind.
Nikita Whitlock -- 5A Texas POY on D/ incredible conf. hotbed- pro's Stafford,Ware,etc., -- only WF offer.
Tommy Bohannon * -- powerlifting champ/nimble footed and soft handed/ Nebraska finished 2nd
Whit Barnes -- Decorated NC footballer/Shrine/ looks to fulfill "depth-utility" role of Chance Raines. 6'3-290

I 'see' us eventually pointing back to this class as having started 'another ACC Championship and Bowl run' that will exceed what was accomplished by the previous era.

Heard some not positive things about the O-line today. Hoping its just overblown because they truly are going to be the key to our season. Lot of young guys without leadership on the unit results in some bad attitudes and immaturity, but hopefully they will grow up fast.

Heard some not positive things about the O-line today. Hoping its just overblown because they truly are going to be the key to our season. Lot of young guys without leadership on the unit results in some bad attitudes and immaturity, but hopefully they will grow up fast.

OK, spill it. What is the bad news?

OK, spill it. What is the bad news?

Nothing mindblowing. Just the guy I was talking to said he had become frustrated with a lot of the group. Garrick works hard and tries to lead by example but is not a real vocal guy. There is a leadership void and too many of them are big but soft and lack a killer instinct when it comes to putting their time in to get better on and off the field. They complain. Etc. All things that were not apparently a problem last year when guys like Looney were around to tell them to get in line or they'd have a problem. I think its something that they can grow out of but I believe it. When you look at it without the sunshine lens we are looking at a guy who got kicked off and then let back on, a ton of very young players, some converted D-linemen who could not crack the depth chart, and a soft spoken, solid center. I think we'll take some lumps this season.

Back