• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Camp being out has clearly blown Price's mind

Price is nowhere close to Skinner. It's sad that our recruiting has fallen off so bad that he literally has no competition for his starting job.

I guess I was the only one watching him throw off his back foot without pressure or sidearm swing passes. Pressure doesnt help, but he wasn't under seige yesterday or anything.

He needs to get back to basics.

Exactly. One play on either the last or 2nd to last drive, it is a screen which is scripted for the lineman to be let up field, Price freaks out and sails the pass well over Harris' head. That is how the play is designed. If we could execute some of these, then we would slow that rush down.

Price is nowhere close to Skinner. It's sad that our recruiting has fallen off so bad that he literally has no competition for his starting job.

Well, Sousa was supposed to be comp, but he apparently isn't ready. Maybe Cameron next year.

Well, Sousa was supposed to be comp, but he apparently isn't ready. Maybe Cameron next year.

Yea hopefully, but I seriously doubt it. It would be nice if there was someone to push Price.

I've never been a huge Price fan, but decided yesterday that I probably haven't given him enough credit. He was asked to fill some big shoes. He does falter at times, most notably the bowl game. But he's smart, he has a decent arm, and he keeps his wits about him even as he's being chased around the backfield.

One of the most important traits of a QB is unflappability, never getting too high or too low. I even prefer it when they just go jog up and get a basic high five after a TD pass, rather than running up the field like a chicken with its head cut off. Some people want to see excitability in their QB, and that's fine; I just happen to like those QB's who simply get the job done and act like they've been there before when something goes right. They have to be the "oldest" player on the field. Price strikes me as having this sort of maturity and even-keeled nature.

Tanner's fine. He's got zero support. The staff is busy plugging so many leaks in the dam that I'm sure he's not getting the attention he's had in seasons past. I hope we are able to make something of the rest of his time at WF but I'm not optimistic.

Feel for the kid as he passed up chances to play at several schools that are having excellent years. Meanwhile we have the big pile of shit that is Wake sports.

Tanner's fine. He's got zero support. The staff is busy plugging so many leaks in the dam that I'm sure he's not getting the attention he's had in seasons past. I hope we are able to make something of the rest of his time at WF but I'm not optimistic.

Feel for the kid as he passed up chances to play at several schools that are having excellent years. Meanwhile we have the big pile of shit that is Wake sports.

How do you know that he would have been playing at those schools? I'm guessing those schools have recruited touted QBs every single year.

Price has only fallen off because the rest of the team is hot garbage at the moment. Once Camp is in and the O-Line is (hopefully) back, we will see him better. A QB behind a shaky O-Line is usually not a pretty sight. Even Peyton Manning behind our O-Line would be a little off his game.

I don't think some here understand that it's virtually impossible to put "touch" on passes, or even be close to accurate, when you have absolutely no time to throw the ball. It's also helpful to have WRs on whom you can count.

This.

Tanner is a very good quarterback. If he had time to throw and receivers who would actually CATCH the ball he would look great. This team has problems and the quarterback isn't one of them.

Tanner is not getting the job done this year. Who cares what he did last year? This year he's playing like garbage, just like everyone else around him.

Yeah. For example, each of the 2006 QBs led a team to a bowl and their best seasons in awhile.

Price is a very good QB.

he has NO offensive line and his WRs drop 5-10 passes a game (last i heard was 7 or 8 at the Maryland game). the running game is not giving him any help either by blocking or running effectively to slow down the blitz.

i am not sure that any QB can excel in this circumstance.

Tanner is not getting the job done this year. Who cares what he did last year? This year he's playing like garbage, just like everyone else around him.

Yeah, but we know the man that can turn him into the next Peyton Manning, let's make it happen OGG!!!

It is hard to catch wounded ducks thrown with absolutely no touch. He fires wobblers around like a 50 caliber BMG.

Price is a very good QB.

he has NO offensive line and his WRs drop 5-10 passes a game (last i heard was 7 or 8 at the Maryland game). the running game is not giving him any help either by blocking or running effectively to slow down the blitz.

i am not sure that any QB can excel in this circumstance.

To the punk who negrepped me and said "give it up." I will never give it up until our man is back on the sidelines at BB&T field, never!!!!

It is hard to catch wounded ducks thrown with absolutely no touch. He fires wobblers around like a 50 caliber BMG.

Exactly, just like Peyton used to throw until the man tutored him into the QB he is today. He can do like for us, we need to bring him back before Sousa transfers!!!!

Given our 2nd half offensive performance hard to defend any offensive player or coach, but I will try.

WF's o-line was weak when the year started (having lost 4 starters from last year, and 4 additional players in the Spring/Fall that may have started). Then, Souza was suspended, and Ford was injured. Losing two OL starters just before/during game is devastating for any football program; for this WF football team, the loss of Souza and Ford was a complete disaster. So, WF's o-line was down to the nubs and played like it.

WF lost its only threat at receiver when Camp went out. Rather than step up, the receivers/flankers outside of Davis (who is banged up) played like they would rather be doing anything else than play football. Sherm Ragland may turn out to be a complete stud, but he is simply not ready to play D-1 football right now (stated with the understanding that a lot of great college receivers are not ready as frosh - like Kenny Moore). WF is playing a walk-on at TE, and he plays like a walk-on. The fact is that there are many/most 1-AA football programs with a better current supporting cast for their QB. On top of the worst cast of receivers (with Camp out) in the last 30 years of WF football (even when WF was awful, it always had a solid WR/TE corps), unlike Deandre Martin, Josh Harris does not catch the ball well out of the backfield.

In sum, the best WF receiver on the field on Saturday was Tommy Bohannon, who has solid hands, and at least is not afraid to get hit after catching a pass. When your most dangerous receiving threat is your FB and your OL is in shambles, you are not going to score points even if Tom Brady is your QB.

With all that said, it is simply impossible to know if Price has regressed. Last year, he was throwing to an NFL WR (Givens) a stud FL (Camp), two senior TEs, behind a veteran OL. Every QB in America would appear to have taken a step back given these circumstances. Further, WF could have recruited the best cast of QBs over the last 3 years, and with these circumstances WF would not have scored in the 20s last Saturday.

Last edited:
Back