• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Campus Updates

You're missing the forest for the trees. Business school grads may add marginally to your endowment, but Wake is never going to grow its profile and national rankings without increasing its grad/research programs, including the hard sciences. Maybe that's not the goal at this point, but Wake will be stuck in the mid-20s until the focus switches.

Wake's national ranking has nothing to do with research (at least as far as USNWR is concerned). The only place where this could be true is when they have guidance counselors rate the school, and they don't really know much about graduate programs for the most part. If research was that important to rankings, there is literally no way in hell that Wake makes the top 50, certainly not ahead of Michigan or UNC. We aren't being ranked highly in spite of a lack of research, we are ranked highly because we are perceived to be a top school. Wake doesn't want to be a research-oriented institution either; instead, they focus on undergraduate education and are ranked highly for having teach-first policies. Honestly, if Wake is looking to expand any programs it should look first at computer science and math (including it's new stats major). Those will be critically important to have around as computer science is the most in demand major and pays well, while math and statistics are versatile degrees that will also increase pay.

For reference: Wake's undergraduate teaching ranking http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandr.../national-universities/undergraduate-teaching

EDIT: Also, here's the USNWR national university ranking criteria http://www.usnews.com/education/bes...us-news-calculates-its-best-colleges-rankings.

Basic Breakdown goes like this:
22.5% Undergrad reputation (this is supposed to be peers measuring how committed professors at other institutions are to teaching along with guidance counselors scores which hurt Wake because we aren't as well known as say a UNC)
20% retention rate
20% faculty resources (measures student:faculty ratio, faculty salary, and how many have the terminal degree in their field (typically a Ph.D.))
15% student selectivity (ACT/SAT scores, top 10% of graduating class, acceptance rate)
10% financial resources (how much does a college spend on each student)
7.5% graduation rate
5% alumni giving rate

As you can see, research isn't really supposed to be involved in USNWR rankings. If it is, it would have to come into play with the undergrad reputation but the questionnaires they send out for those aren't supposed to be designed to measure that. Where we get hurt, I think, is that our endowment isn't the size of the universities in the top 20 (less funding per student), we aren't as well known as some (lower guidance counselor score), and our selectivity rate would be well below average for a top 20. That's why Wake will remain where it is. Although, the admission rate did drop from 40 to 34 percent so that should help some, our retention and graduation rates are fine, our faculty resources are pretty good and with all these budget cuts we might be able to spend more per student then some other public universities. So who knows. But if Wake wants to break into the top 20, it will need to become much more selective and increase brand recognition.

Last edit, I swear. If you look at Emory (currently ranked 20th) they have a score of 82, while Wake has a score of 77. So if we want to break into the top 20 we'd have to break an 82 (assuming other schools scores don't go up with us). It'd be really hard to improve any one of those categories enough to get us the five points to enter the top 20. Our best bet is to try to increase them all. It's a lot easier to increase faculty resources, student selectivity and undergrad reputation by a couple points each than it would be to vigorously increase either one. In any case, it'd be fairly difficult to go up 5 points, that's a pretty wide gap.

Last edited:
Some new photos of the North Campus dorms and dining hall. The dorms open in a few weeks and the dining hall in time for spring semester.

North%20campus%20dorm%2012-L.jpg

North%20campus%20dorm%2010-L.jpg

New%20north%20dorms%2003-L.jpg

North%20dining%20hall%2010-L.jpg

North%20dining%20hall%2011-L.jpg

Is there any grass left on campus? I feel like when I go back next I won't recognize the place.

Is there any grass left on campus? I feel like when I go back next I won't recognize the place.

No major construction on the upper or Magnolia quad that I know of, besides the post office being converted into a restaurant

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

The two new building projects were mostly on top of parking lots / roads I believe. I don't think they cut down any mature trees for Farrell either.

No major construction on the upper or Magnolia quad that I know of, besides the post office being converted into a restaurant

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Also, they are redoing the entrance to Greene on the Mag Quad. So that whole area right there is currently blocked off. But apparently it's just infrastructure construction, it should look basically the same when it's done.

The master plan shows the entrance road from Reynolda Road being moved back to its location in the 70s and before, i.e., straight up the hill to Taylor.

Any movement on that?

I am not a big fan of all the new buildings. Way too much brick now. Campus seems way too crowded.

Every person that is 10 years or more removed from Wake says this. I think everyone expected the school to stay exactly the way it was when they graduated. No new buildings. No expansions. No changes. Lock it in a time capsule so everyone can reminisce about the good ol' days when they visit, without having their memories intruded upon by a building that wasn't there when they were drunkenly fingerbanging Mary Jane Rottencrotch through her KKG panties on Davis Field.

Haven't seen any of this in person just the pictures, but it seems like they haven't done as good a job coordinating architecture, building materials, and colors with the rest of campus as they've done with new buildings in the past. Brick and roof shingles both look too dark to me.

Also, they are redoing the entrance to Greene on the Mag Quad. So that whole area right there is currently blocked off. But apparently it's just infrastructure construction, it should look basically the same when it's done.

Yeah Green is apparently settling in a weird way and has started to tilt towards Carswell

Every person that is 10 years or more removed from Wake says this. I think everyone expected the school to stay exactly the way it was when they graduated. No new buildings. No expansions. No changes. Lock it in a time capsule so everyone can reminisce about the good ol' days when they visit, without having their memories intruded upon by a building that wasn't there when they were drunkenly fingerbanging Mary Jane Rottencrotch through her KKG panties on Davis Field.

Sure, part of it is nostalgia. But a large part of it is the campus losing its charm. There is nothing charming about a bunch of oversized brick buildings crowded into a space where they don't all fit. It is another example of greed/money taking over. You can't tell me that campus wasn't much prettier 10 years ago.

Sure, part of it is nostalgia. But a large part of it is the campus losing its charm. There is nothing charming about a bunch of oversized brick buildings crowded into a space where they don't all fit. It is another example of greed/money taking over. You can't tell me that campus wasn't much prettier 10 years ago.

There's nothing charming about a swathes of concrete either. That's mostly what they're covering up. These four buildings aren't using green space people really care about (mainly just some of what's in front of Polo..although in the end I imagine most of that will remain, albeit in a courtyard. The Quads, Davis Field, and Water Tower Field are all safe.

Farrell does look ridiculously mammoth though..hope they have figured out some way to landscape that will minimize that.

There's nothing charming about a swathes of concrete either. That's mostly what they're covering up. These four buildings aren't using green space people really care about (mainly just some of what's in front of Polo..although in the end I imagine most of that will remain, albeit in a courtyard. The Quads, Davis Field, and Water Tower Field are all safe.

Farrell does look ridiculously mammoth though..hope they have figured out some way to landscape that will minimize that.

I hear you on covering up the parking lots but the height of the buildings closes everything in and makes it feel cramped. If the buildings weren't as tall it wouldn't be as bad. There are certain parts of campus now where you can't see the sky unless you look straight up.

From what I've heard, Poly Sci and Econ (two of the most popular majors) will move into Kirby. Also, as far as hard sciences go, biology doesn't pay well, chemistry is alright but physics makes a lot more. For reference: http://www.payscale.com/college-salary-report-2013/majors-that-pay-you-back . Engineering pays well, but management pays much better. The business school is a good investment on this part, because if those students go into finance, accountancy or return for an MBA, then those alum will most likely make six figures.

which one is kirby? i've been funneling my donations (not that it matters much as i'm sure everything gets comingled) towards carswell/econ dept improvements

Haven't seen any of this in person just the pictures, but it seems like they haven't done as good a job coordinating architecture, building materials, and colors with the rest of campus as they've done with new buildings in the past. Brick and roof shingles both look too dark to me.

The brick takes a while to cure and weather to the wake color. It's def the same custom mix.

The shingles on the Residence Halls are not slate like other buildings -- cheaper.

The roof of Farrell and Dining are copper like other major administrative buildings

Saw that the front columns were slanted for a few years -- wondered when something would come of it

I hear you on covering up the parking lots but the height of the buildings closes everything in and makes it feel cramped. If the buildings weren't as tall it wouldn't be as bad. There are certain parts of campus now where you can't see the sky unless you look straight up.

Come on now, don't talk about Wake like it has turned into Manhattan. Pretty sure Reynolda is still the tallest building on campus*. The only place buildings remotely tower over you is between Green and Kirby.

*Excluding Wait's steeple obviously.

The brick takes a while to cure and weather to the wake color. It's def the same custom mix.

The shingles on the Residence Halls are not slate like other buildings -- cheaper.

The roof of Farrell and Dining are copper like other major administrative buildings

Thanks

Back