• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Campus Updates

which one is kirby? i've been funneling my donations (not that it matters much as i'm sure everything gets comingled) towards carswell/econ dept improvements

Kirby is where the undergraduate business school currently is before it moves into Farrell Hall. It's the building that is connected to Manchester.

Sure, part of it is nostalgia. But a large part of it is the campus losing its charm. There is nothing charming about a bunch of oversized brick buildings crowded into a space where they don't all fit. It is another example of greed/money taking over. You can't tell me that campus wasn't much prettier 10 years ago.

I mean you can call it greed/money if you want but in the coming decades Wake is faced with two different paths to go, expand to become a more "national" university or fall further behind schools in the same price range. The rising cost of higher education, especially at a school like Wake, means that if you want to stay an uber expensive private university then you need to be a national brand. Wake has traditionally been more regional and for years has been building its national reputation. In my circles it is becoming more well known but certainly not to the degree as many institutions we might consider to be peer institutions. The response of Wake to this issue has been one of expansion.

It seems the vision for the campus is major expansions designed to not only increase enrollment but also seek to enhance the reputation of the various departments and schools. Since I have not been back to campus in years I cannot say how these changes will affect the charm and feel of Wake that many of us hold near to our hearts but I do know I would prefer Wake continue to improve its renown and prestige. Every week somebody on these boards mentions how it does not make sense, financially, to go to Wake for many people. To change that either costs can go down (no way this is done in a way that does not affect educational quality) or you transform Wake into a school worth paying extra for. Stanford is worth it versus UNC because of what a Stanford degree means, for example. Will these expansions automatically make us equal to some of our more prestigious peers? Of course not but increasing enrollment and building new/expanded facilities lays the foundation for that type of change. And the reality, IMO, is that much of what many of us enjoyed about our time at Wake does not necessarily have to go away with it becoming a bigger school.

As a side note buildings matter more to faculty, a key component of increasing renown, than some people may realize. It is not the primary factor in recruitment decisions but nice buildings and the correlating commitment it shows by the school to that department can matter. It matters especially in the hard sciences, something Wake is going to have to invest more in moving forward.

Last edited:
I don't understand how these new residence halls weren't eating up grass, did they downsize the size of Q or something? Farrell was made on the old parking lot next to the computer building? Thats a ton of parking gone, where did it go?

I think the new Halls did take out a fair amount of grass between Q & Polo.

None of these buildings seem to match up with the master plan, either

Updated Master Plan contains them : http://facilities.wfu.edu/build/master-plan/

As for the trees, where Farrell got built was essentially just an open field with a few small trees next to some large trees and a picnic area. The trees and picnic area are still there. They rerouted the road to go through the Worrell parking lot so part of where Farrell is was roadway. The new dorms took up only a small amount of northern q and a little bit of open field. I don't know which computer building you are referring to, but computer science has been in Manchester for a while. The parking next to there was eliminated when Greene was built a decade ago.

Is there any building on campus more than three stories (four if you're on the backside of a building that is built into a hill)? I don't think anything "towers" over anything.

Good amount of trees there too, right? did they eat into Q at all?

Combination of the green space in front of Polo, the trees in front of Polo, and N Q. They closed down Q north of the road through it for construction (IIRC), should get some of it back.

I believe that sophomores are no longer allowed to park on campus. This wasn't true when they did the initial closings (spring of '12) and things were rough but still doable.

Is there any building on campus more than three stories (four if you're on the backside of a building that is built into a hill)? I don't think anything "towers" over anything.

I will say that the floors in the new buildings are much taller. See ZSR for the most obvious / extreme example of new versus old ceiling heights.

Updated Master Plan contains them : http://facilities.wfu.edu/build/master-plan/

As for the trees, where Farrell got built was essentially just an open field with a few small trees next to some large trees and a picnic area. The trees and picnic area are still there. They rerouted the road to go through the Worrell parking lot so part of where Farrell is was roadway. The new dorms took up only a small amount of northern q and a little bit of open field. I don't know which computer building you are referring to, but computer science has been in Manchester for a while. The parking next to there was eliminated when Greene was built a decade ago.

Old comp sci building used to be whats now called "alumni center" right?

ugggg, this new master plan looks terrible compared to the old one. The "campus map" implies the two new residence halls aren't even lined up with one another where the new master plan implies symmetry

Last edited:
Old comp sci building used to be whats now called "alumni center" right?

ugggg, this new master plan looks terrible compared to the old one. The "campus map" implies the two new residence halls aren't even lined up with one another where the new master plan implies symmetry

That was the old Information Systems building, not the Computer Science building. Administration versus academic.

so now is IS in manchester, or its still in the same place?

Last edited:
Information Systems is now split. Most of the department is at the University Corporate Center (the old Reynolds HQ building by BB&T Field) and the service desk is at ZSR (first floor, right off the atrium in the new wing). IS originally moved as the initial plan was to expand / remodel Worrell, connect it to the IS building, and move the undergrad / accounting programs there, along with the business graduate programs (I guess the law school would have remained in Worrell as well, not sure). Then the money came through to do a standalone facility so they're doing that, but IS had already moved. As such, they then moved a laundry list of admin departments to the IS building (now Alumni Hall), including development / alumni relations, HR, and parking management (the bastards). It was all kind of clumsy tbh.

Wake's admin has been ballooning...

The Computer Science department remains at Manchester, where I believe it has always been.

I hope the campus map is wrong..why would they not at least align the buildings with one another? I guess it would have to be a topography issue, but still seems like it would be smarter to spend the money to move the necessary dirt.

Information Systems is now split. Most of the department is at the University Corporate Center (the old Reynolds HQ building by BB&T Field) and the service desk is at ZSR (first floor, right off the atrium in the new wing). IS originally moved as the initial plan was to expand / remodel Worrell, connect it to the IS building, and move the undergrad / accounting programs there, along with the business graduate programs (I guess the law school would have remained in Worrell as well, not sure). Then the money came through to do a standalone facility so they're doing that, but IS had already moved. As such, they then moved a laundry list of admin departments to the IS building (now Alumni Hall), including development / alumni relations, HR, and parking management (the bastards). It was all kind of clumsy tbh.

Wake's admin has been ballooning...

The Computer Science department remains at Manchester, where I believe it has always been.

So whats going in Worrell if all business is going to Farrell?

Thanks btw

I hope the campus map is wrong..why would they not at least align the buildings with one another? I guess it would have to be a topography issue, but still seems like it would be smarter to spend the money to move the necessary dirt.

Any boots on the ground to confirm/deny if the map is right?

So whats going in Worrell if all business is going to Farrell?

Thanks btw

My understanding is that the law school will take over the whole thing. I'm not sure what they will be doing with all the new found space.

I would think part of the plan would be to do a phased remodel, but not sure if the money is there for that.

"The recent decision by the Wake Forest Schools of Business to vacate the Worrell Center presents the Law
School with an historic opportunity. The Law School will occupy the remaining space in the Worrell Center and
will renovate the space for new classrooms, study space for students, faculty offices and attractive new space
to house all of the Law School’s six clinics. The Worrell Center will receive a new front entrance to give it an
updated appearance and to welcome guests of the Law School. The entire project will take approximately three
years and, when completed, the Worrell Center will be an inspiring home for legal education at Wake Forest."

Not finding any more detail on these plans.

Last edited:
Back