• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Campus Updates

Just got an e-mail from the Schools of Business. Reinemund retiring as Dean in May.

Just got an e-mail from the Schools of Business. Reinemund retiring as Dean in May.

Here's the text of the email...do we know why?

Dear WFUSB Alumni,

It has been an honor to serve as the Wake Forest Dean of Business for the past 5½ years. I came to an outstanding university in 2008 and thanks to the dedication and commitment of our faculty, staff, students, alumni, parents and friends of the School, we have made the unified Wake Forest School of Business truly a world-class institution. Our shared vision of achieving excellence in education at Wake Forest and providing an exceptional experience for our students and alumni has been, and will continue to be, a primary focus.

Our student body continues to evolve as a dynamic and diverse group of intellectuals with a wide variety of personal passions and talents. Now, and in the upcoming years, it will be exciting to see how they will take advantage of all that is here to equip them — academically, ethically, socially and physically — to positively and powerfully impact our country and our world.

I want to share that I will be stepping down as Dean of Business at the end of this academic year. At that time, I will serve Wake Forest as Executive-in-Residence and assist our students as they set out on their journey to make a meaningful difference in whatever they choose to do.

The involvement and support of Wake Forest alumni and friends remains as vital as ever to our mission. We appreciate all that you do to help form valuable bridges that connect our students to the world.

Best regards,

Steve Reinemund
Dean of Business
Wake Forest University
School of Business

I assume because he has more money than he could ever spend from his Pepsi days and just wants to live the good life. He's 65.

Email from Hatch this morning. I bolded and added headlines in italics for relevant parts

Dear Students, Faculty and Staff,

Welcome back! I hope you enjoyed a restful break surrounded by friends and loved ones. Last year was a significant year in the life of the University, and 2014 looks to be just as promising. As we begin a new semester, I would like to offer a few important updates to the State of the University address I provided in November.

University Leadership

After nearly six extraordinary years of service to Wake Forest University, Steve Reinemund has decided to step down as Dean of the School of Business at the end of this academic year. Dean Reinemund has demonstrated genuinely transformational leadership since he came to Wake Forest in 2008. His accomplishments include integrating Wake Forest’s undergraduate and graduate business education, establishing the one-year Masters of Arts in Management program, and, most recently, overseeing the completion of Farrell Hall.
I am pleased that Dean Reinemund has agreed to remain an Executive in Residence, a role that will allow him to teach classes, mentor students and bridge connections. We will begin a national search for his replacement immediately. Vice Dean and Professor of Management Charles Iacovou will continue to manage the daily operations of the School of Business.

I am pleased to announce that Jacque Fetrow has been reappointed to serve a second term as the Dean of Wake Forest College. Dean Fetrow’s exemplary efforts in this position have helped move the vital work of the College forward, and I am grateful for her continued leadership.
School of Law Dean Blake Morant was recently appointed to two prestigious national positions. U.S. Supreme Court Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr. appointed Dean Morant to the Federal Judicial Center Foundation Board. Dean Morant was also named the president-elect of the American Association of Law Schools.
Vice Provost Jennifer Collins was named Judge James Noel Dean of Southern Methodist University’s Dedman School of Law. After 10 years as a critical member of the Wake Forest community, she will begin as Dean at SMU on July 1, 2014. You can read more about Vice Provost Collins’s impact at Wake Forest in Inside WFU.
Finally, Wake Forest football fans across the country are celebrating the arrival of Dave Clawson as our new football coach. Coach Clawson is a proven winner and leader who has had great success at every institution he has coached. Coach Clawson spent the last five years coaching at Bowling Green State University in Ohio, where he guided the Falcons to the Mid-American Conference championship.

Wake Will: The Campaign for Wake Forest

Last fall, after the successful launch of Wake Will on our campus, we traveled to various cities in North Carolina to announce our plans for the future of Wake Forest. This semester, we will visit key regional cities to inform our alumni, parents and friends about the campaign. We will be hosting events in Charlotte, New York City, Washington D.C., Atlanta and Raleigh. To date, we have raised $343 million toward the $600 million goal for the Reynolda Campus. You can help us maintain momentum by using #WakeWill when celebrating Wake Forest through social media.

Addressing Space Issues and Evolving Plans for Reynolds Gym (postponing and expanding the project. New Athletic facilities behind Miller. HES moves to Worrell

Over the next five years, the Wake Will campaign will turn several of our ambitions into reality. We are aggressively pursuing donor support for a major renovation of Scales Fine Arts Center, as well as for Salem, Tribble and Carswell Halls.

As part of the Wake Will campaign, I have spoken about the need to make wellbeing a pivotal component of the Wake Forest experience. Part of this commitment will be realized through the renovation of Reynolds Gym. Conversations with students, faculty, Athletics Department staff and donors, as well as architects and space planners have generated important changes to the initial scope of the project.

Most significantly, the renovated Reynolds Gym will no longer house elements of the Athletics Department and Health and Exercise Science as once planned, allowing more usable space for the health and fitness needs of the total campus population.

To accommodate this change, we will construct a sports performance center for varsity athletes as part of a new facility behind Miller Athletic Center. This new facility will accommodate the year-round training needs of more than 350 student-athletes competing in 16 sports and include space for coaches’ offices and team meeting rooms.

The move of the School of Business into Farrell Hall and plans to renovate Worrell Professional Center allow the Health and Exercise Science Department to take advantage of new academic space in Worrell. In addition to significantly upgrading the conditions for Health and Exercise Science faculty and classes, this move continues the University’s investment in the north part of campus, which, in addition to Farrell Hall, included renovations to the student apartments and Spry Soccer Complex, and completion of our new Magnolia and Dogwood residence halls and a new dining facility.

An October 2013 article in the Old Gold and Black referenced ambitions to break ground on Reynolds Gym renovations in 2014. The changing scope of plans requires additional design work, which may postpone construction.

This is an exciting time in the life of our community. As we enter a new semester and begin a new year, I hope you will take every opportunity to work diligently, make meaningful connections and explore how you can best use your talents and abilities to lead lives that matter.

Best regards,

Nathan O. Hatch

President

The move of the School of Business into Farrell Hall and plans to renovate Worrell Professional Center allow the Health and Exercise Science Department to take advantage of new academic space in Worrell. In addition to significantly upgrading the conditions for Health and Exercise Science faculty and classes, this move continues the University’s investment in the north part of campus, which, in addition to Farrell Hall, included renovations to the student apartments and Spry Soccer Complex, and completion of our new Magnolia and Dogwood residence halls and a new dining facility.

I thought the Law School was completely taking over Worrell - at least that is how it has been sold to the alumni. I wonder if we're behind on fundraising for the renovation and so they are going to give space to another department and get additional funding that way. Complete speculation on my part.

I don't know what other people think of Reinemund, and it remains to be seen if the integration is a success or not (the measuring stick being the rankings of the MBA program), but Reinemund expressed personal interest in me and my career and was instrumental to me landing a fantastic opportunity. So, I'm sad to hear of his retirement from that perspective.

I thought the Law School was completely taking over Worrell - at least that is how it has been sold to the alumni. I wonder if we're behind on fundraising for the renovation and so they are going to give space to another department and get additional funding that way. Complete speculation on my part.

i could never figure out how the law school was going to fill that space anyway. Then last year Dean Morant announced they're reducing class sizes - so this is not totally surprising to me.

In the photoblog, there are back-to-back pictures. The first with a group of people lined up in front of the chapel. The second with a group of people on the quad with their back to Reynolda. Since they were back-to-back in the blog, it almost seemed like they were facing off.

It's a slow day at the office, ok?

Anyone going to Hatch's "State of the University" address today? Wanna report back?

My takeaway from that photo blog:

Professor Louden got a new golden retriever! Nice. Good for him.

Anyone going to Hatch's "State of the University" address today? Wanna report back?

I wasn't able to go, but here's a picture.

nathan_hatch_x300.jpg

Back