• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Campus Updates

I think that's nice and certainly could be true. But I don't think that's how students (especially minority students) think and it's clear that's not how they react.

Good thing we have a 3:1 chaplain ratio then

Realize that some people are complete assholes, punish them if they are caught, and decide that one idiot doesn't mean that the campus is full of hateful bigots.

I would also add that talking about it might actually help people learn things, even if what they learn is that some people are complete assholes. I mean, people do go to college to learn still, right?

I think im just still pissed we got chastised by good ole nathan O for celebrating a rolled quad at redacteds firing

/keeper. We have an associate chaplain for muslim life? Is this a paid position? Does that mean theres also a head chaplain for muslim life? We cant have more than like ten muslims currently enrolled, is this why it now costs $60k/year? /keeper

I know that this is on jest, but the chaplain structure at wake is that there is one head campus chaplain and the an associate chaplain for different denominations/faiths.

Ummm...

Brian Neal @BrianNealNews · 8m
Wake Forest University says a man in an orange SUV pointed a handgun at a student on campus tonight.

That's higher ed now. You can't properly welcome and be inclusive of people of difference without having a representative for them.

Back in my day we didnt have a lgbt center and when one of our roommates came out, we added some gay jokes to our list of inside jokes that our group thought was funny and life moved on.

This is a Wake Alert message:

At about 6:25-6:30 p.m. this evening, a man in an orange SUV pointed a handgun at a Wake Forest student on campus in Parking Lot "J". University Police believe the suspects have left campus.

A Wake Forest student was returning to his vehicle on campus in Parking Lot "J" behind Collins Hall and South Residence Hall at about 6:25-6:30 p.m. on Dec. 11. The student noticed 4 or 5 males in an orange SUV. The orange SUV hit the student's parked car as the driver pulled out of the parking space.

When the student approached the orange SUV, one man in the SUV pulled out a handgun. The student ran and called University Police. University Police conducted an immediate search and believe the suspects are no longer on campus.

The suspects in the orange SUV are described by the student as "college-aged" males. Two or three of them may have been white males and two or three of them may have been black males.

If you have any information about this incident, please call University Police at 336-758-5591.

Office of Communications and External Relations

So hatch is responsible for all the administrative bloat and doesn't think having winning athletic teams is important..... Time for a new billboard

Interesting info. Looks like most of the increase in diversity comes from Asian students, presumably international students. The percentage of black and Hispanic students is still small.

I visited campus last week for the first time in at least four years. The changes were stunning. Some looked like good moves. Some seemed like wastes of money.

Interesting info. Looks like most of the increase in diversity comes from Asian students, presumably international students. The percentage of black and Hispanic students is still small.

I visited campus last week for the first time in at least four years. The changes were stunning. Some looked like good moves. Some seemed like wastes of money.

can you expand on this?

At most schools, international Asian students are not counted as "diversity" students in the sense of % students of color.

I remember maybe 3 or 4 Asians. It was a culture shock between my time at Science & Math and Duke.

Leebs, Farrell Hall looked great. Every campus needs a modern showcase academic building that can fulfill needs of all students and faculty outside of its intended discipline. Farrell Hall looks like it can fulfill that. It looks good overlooking Poteat Field and pointing toward the new residential campus. My boys and my friends' boys had a great time playing on Poteat Field. Brought back memories.

I'm not a big fan of expanded enrollment, but if you're going to do it, do it like Wake has done it. The Polo campus (or whatever it's called) looks good from Wingate although it was a huge shock. I didn't go up there to see it up close though.

I definitely like that the interior of campus basically looks the same. Passing a pizza place named for Ken Zick was a trip.

Seeing the new indoor football practice facility reinforced my opinion that it's a waste of money. It's a monstrosity that while I'm sure will have a nice brick facade, looks very out of place on campus. A friend of mine called it "the future indoor field hockey stadium."

I also think it will be outdated by the time it's built. It captures an old Zeitgeist and doesn't seem to mesh with where college sports is headed. I think the next big spending projects in college football will be player compensation. The move is gradual, but if you have to ask what Alabama and Oregon will be spending millions of dollars on in 10 years, it's going to be paying players in some form or fashion. I just don't think it's a good look to complete a $21M building project and claim we can't afford to pay players. $21M can pay 85 scholarship athletes $20K a year for over 12 years. Now that's only 12 years, but the McCreary Indoor Center will probably need renovations or updates in 12 years away. The programs ready for the future are the ones that upgraded their facilities years ago and realize that player compensation is coming and are ready to embrace it.

Interesting, thanks for the info. I've kinda been on that same page regarding the indoor practice faculty for several years now, but people who know plenty more about football than I do insist that it's fundamentally important to recruiting.

I mean, I live like half a mile from one of these monstrosities -- a much uglier one than ours will be, I might add -- but it seems a little more necessary in a place with extreme weather. It's over 100 right now, and football is definitely practicing indoors today.

It's important now, but it won't mean much down the road if the university can't provide a competitive stipend when that time comes.

Back