• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Campus Updates

Why are Wake kids such pussies about moving downtown. I live on West End and it rocked.

With no choice but to live on campus, junior year, the wants of the students is not the driving force for decisions. However, less kitchen space means more spending money at places on campus.

I think that's a pretty sad statement. The needs of students should be Wake's first priority. I'm sure some people will say I'm being ridiculous, but having a mini fridge in a room and sharing a kitchen with 30, 50, or however many people on a hall just doesn't sound very appealing at all to me. One of the best parts about moving off campus (aside from having my own room and not having to share one shower with ten guys) was having a living room, kitchen, basement, etc. to hang out in.

Why isn't Wake building more apt style housing like Polo? That is much more appealing to upperclassmen.

Why are Wake kids such pussies about moving downtown. I live on West End and it rocked.

I don't think they are. Wake is instituting a 3 year residency requirement. I was glad I lived close to campus and all of my friends after I moved off campus. There is plenty of time to live downtown in a city after you graduate.

This is a guess, but if you think of housing as having some correlation to year in school, I feel like these new dorms would be for sophomores/juniors like the quad dorms (which have even fewer amenities). That leaves Student Apts, Polo, and Martin for juniors/seniors.

I'm just not sure how often people want to cook for themselves. I guess in theory, this should give the cooks more opportunity to get a residence hall room with a kitchen.

I found that Wake had lost a lot of that small school charm when I was there the last time. I realize that things change and get bigger, but there was a certain vibe that Wake had when I was there in the early 90s that simply doesn't really exist anymore. It's too bad.

yeah, i get the feeling i'd hate going to wake now

This is a guess, but if you think of housing as having some correlation to year in school, I feel like these new dorms would be for sophomores/juniors like the quad dorms (which have even fewer amenities). That leaves Student Apts, Polo, and Martin for juniors/seniors.

I'm just not sure how often people want to cook for themselves. I guess in theory, this should give the cooks more opportunity to get a residence hall room with a kitchen.

esp with the dining reqs

A real kitchen is just in general so much more convenient, even if you don't actually cook that much.

Microfridge freezers are tiny, and the microwaves suck. It's kind of shocking that within a 5 year period Wake will have built resident halls with 700 more beds without any of them being apartments.

A real kitchen is just in general so much more convenient, even if you don't actually cook that much.

Microfridge freezers are tiny, and the microwaves suck. It's kind of shocking that within a 5 year period Wake will have built resident halls with 700 more beds without any of them being apartments.

But keep in mind they did just renovate Faculty apartments.

The article says they will be constructed west of Farrell Hall. As far as I can tell, that equals Lot Q. But no mention of replacing the parking in Lot Q (building a deck, etc.). Even if they are going to build a deck, there will be a serious lack of parking while it is being constructed.

Does anyone have any details on the plan for parking?

But keep in mind they did just renovate Faculty apartments.

True. That was what, 300-400 beds? (that's an out of my ass guess, but 9 buildings are open to students so figure about ~50 per).

The article says they will be constructed west of Farrell Hall. As far as I can tell, that equals Lot Q. But no mention of replacing the parking in Lot Q (building a deck, etc.). Even if they are going to build a deck, there will be a serious lack of parking while it is being constructed.

Does anyone have any details on the plan for parking?

I'm thinking more northwest than north. If you look at the profile it looks like they will be at the edge of Q (the ground is slopping down while Q is, of course, flat).

Parking will be severely impacted during construction, especially if they haven't done everything but the finish out for the business building by then.

Kitchens are expensive. You bitch about the cost of Wake Forest then you bitch because you don't have $1,000 worth of appliances that have to be replaced every seven or eight years that you don't have to share with more than seven other people.

Coveting is prohibited in the Ten Commandments.

So something like this I assume:

rl9vfs.jpg

That seems logical to me HP. The only concern is that area is a massive drainage gully, that would have to be piped and filled over. Shouldnt be a problem though, thats exactly what we did when we built Groves.

I don't think so. Pretty sure the location is on the other side of Q. Closer to Spry and the new Farrell Hall.

If you look at a parking map, lot R2 won't exist anymore I know that.

I don't think so. Pretty sure the location is on the other side of Q. Closer to Spry and the new Farrell Hall.

Not based on this:

http://www2.journalnow.com/news/201...e-go-ahead-to-construction-of-dor-ar-1906810/

The residence halls, which will be a combined 150,000 square feet, will provide housing for 480 upperclassmen. They will be built on 10 acres between a large parking lot off Wake Forest Road and Polo Residence Hall.

This puts them in line with the main "North-South" axis of the campus.

Yeah, it's going basically where R2 is now.

Back