• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Campus Updates

Considering taking the offer. I have to do extracurricular on weekends so it'd be a pain, but $300 to spend at my leisure?

Hard to say no.

I got out of class yesterday, to find that my car had a fence built around it and a sign that said that any cars parked within that area would be towed. They hadn't informed current students of ANY of this. I guess that had we been keeping up with the schools' website and stuff, we would've known that they were even building new dorms, but there was no communication to students to inform us.

Even though I live on campus, I still have a VERY difficult time finding any parking. Last week when I was returning from volunteering, I drove around campus for half an hour looking for a spot. There were no parking spaces open in Q, none in Z, none near Polo. My second time through I was able to find a space behind Collins. So to discover that there are suddenly, without any warning, 350 fewer spots available to students is really quite frustrating.

Also, the walkway to Polo is fenced off. It would suck to have to live there, because it looks like they will have to walk 3 times as far / along one of the busier roads on campus. It wouldn't be so bad, but there was no warning for any of this. Most students are pretty upset. I think we all recognize that the changes will make the campus nicer (even though it will dramatically change the feel of a lot of campus life), but it is really annoying that there was very little prior communication of any of this, and that there are no instructions for what to do. It's not like Wake is like "Hey, we just took away 1/3 of your parking spaces, but we're opening up this other lot for you to park in, or giving you some guidance about where to park." No, it's more like "well, sucks for you that you bought one of our overpriced parking stickers. Now please move out of our way while we do some new conniving act in order to increase revenue."

As of about 3:00pm today, 80 students had returned their passes. Mostly all of them taking the $300 and moving out to the UCC.

No, it's more like "well, sucks for you that you bought one of our overpriced parking stickers. Now please move out of our way while we do some new conniving act in order to increase revenue."

Can something that's been in the Master Plan really be considered new and conniving?

Overall, while the on-campus parking IS lacking, it's not like there are no other options. UCC parking is a plenty-viable option and shuttles run consistently... it's just not as convenient so people don't want to do it and just end up crying about the lack of parking. There IS parking, it's just requires a little more forethought in scheduling your day.

Heard a story today about the kids in Polo getting a warning to remove their bikes from the racks. When they went to do it, however, the rack and the bikes had all disappeared. Not sure if campus people loaded the rack bikes and all onto a truck or if they cut all the locks, but I would be furious.

I got out of class yesterday, to find that my car had a fence built around it and a sign that said that any cars parked within that area would be towed. They hadn't informed current students of ANY of this. I guess that had we been keeping up with the schools' website and stuff, we would've known that they were even building new dorms, but there was no communication to students to inform us.

Even though I live on campus, I still have a VERY difficult time finding any parking. Last week when I was returning from volunteering, I drove around campus for half an hour looking for a spot. There were no parking spaces open in Q, none in Z, none near Polo. My second time through I was able to find a space behind Collins. So to discover that there are suddenly, without any warning, 350 fewer spots available to students is really quite frustrating.

Also, the walkway to Polo is fenced off. It would suck to have to live there, because it looks like they will have to walk 3 times as far / along one of the busier roads on campus. It wouldn't be so bad, but there was no warning for any of this. Most students are pretty upset. I think we all recognize that the changes will make the campus nicer (even though it will dramatically change the feel of a lot of campus life), but it is really annoying that there was very little prior communication of any of this, and that there are no instructions for what to do. It's not like Wake is like "Hey, we just took away 1/3 of your parking spaces, but we're opening up this other lot for you to park in, or giving you some guidance about where to park." No, it's more like "well, sucks for you that you bought one of our overpriced parking stickers. Now please move out of our way while we do some new conniving act in order to increase revenue."

They are being a bunch of wankers by starting this in the middle of a semester. The last time they did anything to Q lot that effected parking was during the summer of 2004 when they built that walkway to Polo. Since most of Q is empty during the summer it wasn't a big deal.

They are being a bunch of wankers by starting this in the middle of a semester. The last time they did anything to Q lot that effected parking was during the summer of 2004 when they built that walkway to Polo. Since most of Q is empty during the summer it wasn't a big deal.

The timing is unfortunate, but they had to start now so that they will be ready for occupancy for Fall of 2013.

Heard a story today about the kids in Polo getting a warning to remove their bikes from the racks. When they went to do it, however, the rack and the bikes had all disappeared. Not sure if campus people loaded the rack bikes and all onto a truck or if they cut all the locks, but I would be furious.

If true that definitely is awful. This has all been rushed and the communication hasn't been very good.

in 30 minutes, wouldn't it just have been easier to park in the UCC lot and walked? i mean, i'm all for convenience if it's going to save you time. but it really doesn't make any sense to spend 30 minutes trying to find a close parking spot when you could presumably just park far away and walk in less time.

Yeah Doofus' car got fenced around and he got bitched at for "parking" in the area. Doofus was none too pleased since they built the fence around his car.

My girl's taking the offer. She just bought a parking pass for the second semester because she was abroad (for 250) and is selling it back for 300, she picked it up and immediately sold it at the same time. Suck it Wake

Upon seeing that link, the single kitchen for the whole floor seems even more insufficient than I was originally thinking. Hopefully they will at least have a micro-fridge (or a few) per suite.

Don't students bring their own mini-fridges anyway? I wouldn't want to put my beer in a community fridge.

Don't students bring their own mini-fridges anyway? I wouldn't want to put my beer in a community fridge.

bring their own? pshhhh at wake they give us that stuff for free!*

*yeahhh $45K tuition

Back