• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Candid look at this team...

Lectro

Banhammer'd
Reaction score
The last few days have seen a good deal of "wood-shedding" the coaching staff for going uber-conservative and taking momentum out of Deacon hands.

That's done and it was deserved imo. Point made and hopefully taken.

Now, for some other 'realities'...

(A) The starting QB with 300 yards and 3 TD's in 3 quarters is a good one. The verdict on the game comes down differently if he remains on the field.

(B) We have no backup QB who can win games. The sacks and interceptions that so filled the preseason scrimmages were, in fact, reality.

(C)Coach could have sent him back in but must've known... "if Tanner is hurt for any extended time then we are toast and we have not played a single conference game." It was a tough call and he err'd on the side of caution.

(D) The "talent" on this team that we've so often speculated upon is REAL. We have a strong nucleus on offense and the D is rounding out. Coaches went conservative with Justin Jackson in his first game back. His dad may be miffed but I think it is appropriate. The staff turned him loose at the start of his career and decided to ease him back in to live action.

(E) Nikita Whitlock is the type of player-mentality-motor that you can build a D around.

(F) Jimmy Newman is a good kicker. He had a shaky day. Punting game is woeful.

(G) Zachary Allen was really missed. Get well Ziggy...we can't change the nature of this D to a "Speed-disruptive type" unless we get you, Mike and JJ on the field at the same time.

(H) Campanaro and Givens are loving what Lonnie is bringing to their development. Nevertheless they both combined for "ZERO" carries last Thursday night. C'mon Staff.

Now then, understanding our "seniority rules" and how that is a selling point in recruiting and also understanding the "practice" rules I nevertheless see the time to get our best guys on the field -- NOW!

The LB corp needs to become Ziggy, Justin, Mike and Joey. Haynes and Betros are solid backups inside.

Kyle can rotate as a situational DE (with Zach on his shoulder at OLB) and essentially become a guy who we can line up on either side of the line. Give him a chance to move around within the scheme. I believe he can be very disruptive if allowed to do this. Manny Lawson and Gaines Adams were given this "situational lattitude".

We can not wait any longer on the Nease DL. We must have bodies and athletes. Time has long come to move Devin Bolling and Antonio Ford. Maybe they move back to OL but NOT this Season. Lets go staff.

Bud Noel and Kenny Okoro are our starting CB's.

Kris Redding needs to see the field at DE. WE need some more pressure and this guy is destined to start and excel, imo. Time to get him some meaningful time Staff.

Alex Kinal has to get into the game...period. I don't care if he kicks the damn thing off the side of his knee and backwards over his friggin head... GET him in the GAME! Clearly, intended or not, we already have enough pooch kickers.

--- Now thyen, let's get ready to welcome the NCSU wolfpack and their all-world qb to Groves. Time to send some mofuggies out of the game Deacons!!

Last edited:
Considering their impact in the passing game, zero carries for Camp and Givens is fine with me. We have a RB that, if what I read on the boards is true, has the potential to be All-ACC. Why would we hand the ball off to our receivers?

Also, when is Allen supposed to be back?

Considering their impact in the passing game, zero carries for Camp and Givens is fine with me. We have a RB that, if what I read on the boards is true, has the potential to be All-ACC. Why would we hand the ball off to our receivers?

Also, when is Allen supposed to be back?

We have 2 guys with the capacity to make the end-around as successful as anytime at WF since Fabian Davis played here.

With Syracuse keying so heavily and committing to over pursue then some reverse-end- around action was called for imo.. Particularly when Ted came in the game.

Good post.

Agree with everything about Tanner. My one fear is that we end up 5-7 and the griping about leaving Tanner out will start up all over again. If we get to a bowl game though, I don't think anyone will seriously care he was kept out.

I noticed it in the scrimmages as well: we have one QB. I kind of thing Grobe realizes that and that played a role in keeping Tanner out.

I think our offense is going to have to keep scoring points for us, not going to be able to win a lot 14-10 kind of games this year. Defense looks like it can keep us in a game for a while, but then the offense has to hold on to the ball in the 4th and get some points.

We have talent on offense and Lobo used it pretty well on Thursday. He has to keep doing that every week though, something that has been a problem for quite a while.

The last few days have seen a good deal of "wood-shedding" the coaching staff for going uber-conservative and taking momentum out of Deacon hands.

(A) The starting QB with 300 yards and 3 TD's in 3 quarters is a good one. The verdict on the game comes down differently if he remains on the field.

(B) We have no backup QB who can win games. The sacks and interceptions that so filled the preseason scrimmages were, in fact, reality.

(C)Coach could have sent him back in but must've known... "if Tanner is hurt for any extended time then we are toast and we have not played a single conference game." It was a tough call and he err'd on the side of caution.

(D) The "talent" on this team that we've so often speculated upon is REAL. We have a strong nucleus on offense and the D is rounding out. Coaches went conservative with Justin Jackson in his first game back. His dad may be miffed but I think it is appropriate. The staff turned him loose at the start of his career and decided to ease him back in to live action.

(E) Nikita Whitlock is the type of player-mentality-motor that you can build a D around.

(G) Zachary Allen was really missed. Get well Ziggy...we can't change the nature of this D to a "Speed-disruptive type" unless we get you, Mike and JJ on the field at the same time.

(H) Campanaro and Givens are loving what Lonnie is bringing to their development. Nevertheless they both combined for "ZERO" carries last Thursday night. C'mon Staff.

Now then, understanding our "seniority rules" and how that is a selling point in recruiting and also understanding the "practice" rules I nevertheless see the time to get our best guys on the field -- NOW!

The LB corp needs to become Ziggy, Justin, Mike and Joey. Haynes and Betros are solid backups inside.

Kyle can rotate as a situational DE (with Zach on his shoulder at OLB) and essentially become a guy who we can line up on either side of the line. Give him a chance to move around within the scheme. I believe he can be very disruptive if allowed to do this. Manny Lawson and Gaines Adams were given this "situational lattitude".

We can not wait any longer on the Nease DL. We must have bodies and athletes. Time has long come to move Devin Bolling and Antonio Ford. Maybe they move back to OL but NOT this Season. Lets go staff.

Kris Redding needs to see the field at DE. WE need some more pressure and this guy is destined to start and excel, imo. Time to get him some meaningful time Staff.

Alex Kinal has to get into the game...period. I don't care if he kicks the damn thing off the side of his knee and backwards over his friggin head... GET him in the GAME! Clearly, intended or not, we already have enough pooch kickers.

--- Now thyen, let's get ready to welcome the NCSU wolfpack and their all-world qb to Groves. Time to send some mofuggies out of the game Deacons!!

Who's the qb for ncsu now?

Right about QB situation. TS looked really out of place Thursday. Move somebody else into backup QB position. Nothing I've seen from TS last year or this year leads me to believe he can do the job. Try someone else now and pray that Tanner stays very, very healthy.

Right about the punting situation. I love the heart and the courage of little walk-on Alex Wulfeck. At the spring game he really booted some nice ones. I don't know what has happened to him, but we cannot afford any more 30 yarders. Put Kinal into that spot now.

We can beat the Wfpckers this year! Now is no time to get discouraged--gotta erase that awful NCSU memory from last year. I have actually purchased seats rights for my two State graduate brothers so they can watch us beat their team every other year at least. If I hadn't dropped them on their heads when they were babies...

Good observations!

What makes you think that the staff is hearing the unanimous cry for an end to hyper-conservatism on both sides of the ball? I do not recall any time in the past when the fan base has been so united and so loud in its demand for change. But, what evidence is there that anyone is listening? I have no problem with most of our 1st half play calling. We just need to build as large a lead as we possibly can and keep adding to it. NO LEAD IS SAFE FOR WF!!

Personally, I think we need to use much more misdirection and counter and cut blocking in our run game. I am not a fan of starting our rb so FAR from the line of scrimmage. Would like to see us under center more.

AND KINAL MUST PLAY NOW!!!! (except when pooch kicks are needed). Also we need to find a kicker who can put the ball deep in the end zone on kick-offs...we can't defend run backs.

Last edited:
I'm hoping that Ehrmann stops making stupid mistakes on the field costing us yards and potentially points. He was typically doing stupid shit like hitting the QB to the ground when playing wrapup in the scrimmages and practice, as well as (IIRC) horsecollaring Givens in the first or second scrimmage which left Givens a little gimpy.

The roughing the passer penalty or whatever he had against Syracuse was just same old undisciplined stuff he's been doing all year.

I'm hoping that Ehrmann stops making stupid mistakes on the field costing us yards and potentially points. He was typically doing stupid shit like hitting the QB to the ground when playing wrapup in the scrimmages and practice, as well as (IIRC) horsecollaring Givens in the first or second scrimmage which left Givens a little gimpy.

The roughing the passer penalty or whatever he had against Syracuse was just same old undisciplined stuff he's been doing all year.

Yea, all that is true...but Ehrmann is old school -- same way Curry would get over zealous and get hit with a flag. WF needs an "enforcer" on D and if Joey were not a DE at WF he'd be a developmental player for the Detroit Red Wings...jk but you get my point.

Ehrman head butted the Cuse QB earlier in the game and I remember feeling lucky that we didn't get called on it. The second one was very costly. Coaches need to reel him in or sit him for that.

One point on the QB situation, I think we should have another offensive game plan for Ted that fits his strengths.

As far as runs to Camp or Givens, did anyone see the Georgia game last night?

Has Ted taken a step back since last season? Without looking at the stats, I thought there was not much separation b/w him and Tanner last year. Maybe I'm not remembering how much better Tanner was, but it seems strange that Ted went from serviceable with an upside to totally unreliable over the offseason.

Yea, all that is true...but Ehrmann is old school -- same way Curry would get over zealous and get hit with a flag. WF needs an "enforcer" on D and if Joey were not a DE at WF he'd be a developmental player for the Detroit Red Wings...jk but you get my point.

I feel like describing a player as "old school" is just an excuse for that guy making bone headed plays. There's a difference between a tough guy making smart plays, and not being able to control is aggressiveness.

Ehrman head butted the Cuse QB earlier in the game and I remember feeling lucky that we didn't get called on it. The second one was very costly. Coaches need to reel him in or sit him for that.

One point on the QB situation, I think we should have another offensive game plan for Ted that fits his strengths.

I agree. We should call it "Brendan Cross."

I feel like describing a player as "old school" is just an excuse for that guy making bone headed plays. There's a difference between a tough guy making smart plays, and not being able to control is aggressiveness.

The defense committed way, way too many stupid, undisciplined penalties in that game. Our offense did more than enough to win, but the defense just gave up at half time. We were up 20-7 at half time, and 29-15 in the 4th, yet we had to block a field goal just to go to OT.

Yeah,well, uhhh maybe. Joey's daddy was a Syracuse great and those guys talk all manner of shit. I listened to the game with 5 Cuse guys and 3 Deacs. I love the boys from the 'Cuse but they talk massive shit and deserve a pop in the chops if you can get one in. :)

Alot of emotion in the game for Joey. He was recruited to play at the 'Cuse and there is more there than meets the eye. He will be back to 'just football' this week.

Good post, Lectro.

Yeah,well, uhhh maybe. Joey's daddy was a Syracuse great and those guys talk all manner of shit. I listened to the game with 5 Cuse guys and 3 Deacs. I love the boys from the 'Cuse but they talk massive shit and deserve a pop in the chops if you can get one in. :)

Alot of emotion in the game for Joey. He was recruited to play at the 'Cuse and there is more there than meets the eye. He will be back to 'just football' this week.

Joey practices just like that. Ive seen coaches tell him to get off the field for busting chops on days without full pads.He's one intense dude. Everybody need's that kind of motor. He bad - in a good way.

I'm glad lectro called out the coaches for the ridiculous end of game decision.

Was Jackson the guy who got the roughing penalty on the punt - just ran into the return guy or something?

Then he bit - badly - on the fake and gave them the easy touchdown or 2-point conversion. Actually, we had 2 guys bite on the fake (linebacker coaching come on get it together), which NCSU also loves to run to G. Bryan.

I love Jackson's speed and athleticism and can't wait to see him out there with Allen. Really, really pulling for this kid ----

Back