• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Capel tells some Wake Forest Basketball Recruiting Stories

Amazing tribute.

Best wishes to the Capel family. ALS sucks.

My grandfather died from ALS, and yes, it is a terrible disease.

My own Jeff Capel,III story: I was at lunch at the old Adam's Mark on the day of the '97 Duke game. The entire Duke team was walking through the lobby, with Greg Newton leading the way...so I decide to yell across the lobby, "Hey Newton!...How soft is Duncan now?!" Newton doesn't even seem to notice...but Capel did!

Without missing a beat Capel looks at me and says, "I don't know, how soft are you?!", and then the entire Duke team (except Newton) is standing behind Capel repeating and jawing back at me, "yeah, how soft are you?!" like some scene out of West Side Story. K then comes from behind them, tells them to knock it off and shoos them out the door. We were ranked #2 at the time and ended-up losing to them by 5 later that night...

He was obviously well-respected by his peers, and that tribute was both incredibly well written and shows that he's a decent human being. I will be praying for him and his family.

Last edited:
So did you just stand there and wet your pants or did you tell them to come find out how soft you are ?

My own Jeff Capel,III story: I was at lunch at the old Adam's Mark on the day of the '97 Duke game. The entire Duke team was walking through the lobby, with Greg Newton leading the way...so I decide to yell across the lobby, "Hey Newton!...How soft is Duncan now?!" Newton doesn't even seem to notice...but Capel did!

Without missing a beat Capel looks at me and says, "I don't know, how soft are you?!", and then the entire Duke team (except Newton) is standing behind Capel repeating and jawing back at me, "yeah, how soft are you?!" like some scene out of West Side Story. K then comes from behind them, tells them to knock it off and shoos them out the door. We were ranked #2 at the time and ended-up losing to them by 5 later that night...

He was obviously well-respected by his peers, and that tribute was both incredibly well written and shows that he's a decent human being. I will be praying for him and his family.

I always wondered what got Duke so fired up that day. ---(joking) Best wishes and prayers to the Capels now in this trial.

AKA Duncan's only loss to Duke. Thanks Johnny.

Great article and message. Big Shot Bob recruiting story is great (I was at Wake at the time) as is Jeff Jr's message to Jeff III at Damon's. I"m going to have my kids read that.

Brilliant article. Well done. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hope he survives the latest K's bad back. His predecessor didn't.

Back