• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Caribbean vacation ideas?

If you're a food snob but want the simplicity of all-inclusive, look at Grand Velas in the Riviera Maya. Pretty much a must to go Grand Class in the adults only section. We've been to the Royal and a few other places in that area and none have been as good. Who knows though, it's been a couple years and things change pretty quickly. I still remember the meals we had at Cocina de Autor and Frida though. Mole venison dish is still the best venison I've ever had.

I'll second the recommendation for Grand Velas - awesome resort.

Aruba is cool of you want to hang out with New Jersey folks and experience authentic dunkin donuts

Tortola, BVI. Rustic, but I've hung out there so you know it's cool. Probably can't score my fake uncle Dave's place, though, sorry.

British Virgin Islands are great. Scrub Island is one of my favorite places I've ever been. Anytime spent on the Willy T is time well spent.

I'll second the recommendation for Grand Velas - awesome resort.

I loved everything about Grand Velas until I came home with salmonella. Kinda ruined it for me - I'm not looking to go back to Riviera Maya, but the service there was incredible.

Viceroy and Cap Jaluca in Anguilla are pretty sweet. Best beaches in Caribbean in my opinion.

St Barts is awesome but one of the most expensive places on the planet.

Gansevoort in Turks and Caicos is nice.

One and Only in Paradise Island Bahamas is very nice.

Aruba seemed like a slightly better version of Myrtle Beach.

Viceroy and Cap Jaluca in Anguilla are pretty sweet. Best beaches in Caribbean in my opinion.

St Barts is awesome but one of the most expensive places on the planet.

Gansevoort in Turks and Caicos is nice.

One and Only in Paradise Island Bahamas is very nice.

Aruba seemed like a slightly better version of Myrtle Beach.

Yep. Lots of folks from NJ vacation there. If the OP is planning a fall trip, Curacao is a better option - still outside the hurricane zone and more of a Dutch/European feel. We're looking at this place for a trip. We'll probably spend a few nights at the Renaissance in Willemstad before heading for the villa.

http://www.villaseashell.com/

Turks and Caicos. Got married and honeymooned there. Been back twice.

We did our honeymoon there at the Windsong. It was a great and relaxing island. Would highly recommend for those looking to recharge. It's not a place to go and party and have a ton of entertainment.

Adults only...

Y'all recommend the all-inclusive route or pick a nice hotel and pay as you go?

I really cannot recommend a Royal Carribean cruise with a star-class suite highly enough.

They started a program this May where everything you can imagine (on a giant ship that loves to nickel and dime you) is included. Ultimate drink package for everybody in the suite, specialty restaurants, the works.

I understand the criticism of cruises... but I really can't imagine anybody with those accommodations not having the time of their life. Even the embarkation/debarkation process took us less than 5 minutes each day.

2 BR aqua suites pop up on priceline & other similar discount sites and those actually qualify for the Star-class designation. The decks in those cabins are spectacular.

I had two of my friends get regular cabins on our trip a couple of weeks ago, and R.C. was very good about letting them enjoy the perks of the suite. The 2BRs allow you to split cost with up to 8 people, so you can make it unbelievably affordable if that's your motivation.

If anyone is ever interested in vacationing in PR, my family owns a 5 BR house in Rincon. Ocean views and a heated salt pool. Different experience than the resort deal. PM and I can send a VRBO link and answer any questions.

Back