• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Carl Tacy’s Exit

It was commonly observed that the ideal coach would be a combination of Lefty Driesell’s recruiting and Carl Tacy’s in-game coaching. The inverse would’ve been horrifying!

Lefty was an incredible recruiter. Long before he recruited Len Bias, can you imagine if he hadn’t lost Moses Malone out of high school to the pros in 1974? We’d be talking about that Maryland team with Malone, Mo Howard, Brad Davis, Steve Sheppard, and John Lucas as one of the greatest teams ever.

Biff is trolling.

Tacy resigned in 1985. At the time WF just finished 15-14 and was facing a rebuild. WF had just missed on some key recruits (Tom Hammonds being one), and WF was not offering an contract extension. He was 52 at the time, and think he just felt like it was time to get out. He never got into basketball again, but stayed in W-S, owning a handful of frozen yogurt franchises.

Here is a link to an article about Tacy's resignation with Hooks' comments as well: https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=t8ERAAAAIBAJ&sjid=tukDAAAAIBAJ&pg=6870,79496&dq=carl-tacy

I can also add one major tidbit to Gentleman Carl missing on Tom Hammonds. I was in my first year of working to get into men's college basketball officiating and was going to go to Fred Barakat's 5-Star camps in the summer. I asked carl if I could work his practices in the afternoons because I remember seeing college prof at Wake and now ACC official John Clougherty doing the same thing for Coach Tacy when I was in school and stopped by to watch practices. He let me do as many as I wanted, many by myself and would call so I could get others over there with me when they were scrimmaging. It just so happened that year was Muggsy's freshman year and along with Green, Rudd, Young, Teachey, Garber & Kepley we went to the Final 8.

Back to Tom Hammonds--helluva physical specimen and I came over on a Saturday morning with a partner to work a full scrimmage before a home football game on the weekend of Hammonds' official visit. From many sources at the time, he was being recruited by our assistant coaches primarily without any visits from Tacy but on the other end of things, Bobby Cremins was personally involved with him. So it was Wake assistants going down to Crestview, FL vs head coach Cremins. Who do you think wins that recruiting battle?

Lefty was an incredible recruiter. Long before he recruited Len Bias, can you imagine if he hadn’t lost Moses Malone out of high school to the pros in 1974? We’d be talking about that Maryland team with Malone, Mo Howard, Brad Davis, Steve Sheppard, and John Lucas as one of the greatest teams ever.

Saw Moses play the VA high school state final in University Hall in Charlottesville, VA against UVa recruit Dave Koester. That said, Moses couldn't spell skool, much less find the classroom at MD. He made the right decision going pro.

UCLA of the East!!

Biff is trolling.

Tacy resigned in 1985. At the time WF just finished 15-14 and was facing a rebuild. WF had just missed on some key recruits (Tom Hammonds being one), and WF was not offering an contract extension. He was 52 at the time, and think he just felt like it was time to get out. He never got into basketball again, but stayed in W-S, owning a handful of frozen yogurt franchises.

Here is a link to an article about Tacy's resignation with Hooks' comments as well: https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=t8ERAAAAIBAJ&sjid=tukDAAAAIBAJ&pg=6870,79496&dq=carl-tacy

July 16th! Oof. Terrible timing. Same situation as Skip's passing - need a coach after the carousel has stopped.

Mike Scott was not a star, but he could have been a nice ACC player

Mark Cline was another piece of bad luck for Staak - McDonald's All-American with the knees of an 80-year-old man

Staak's first team wore Pony shoes or some shit like that and I swear, everyone had foot/leg injuries, except for Muggsy

Everybody thought Staak would be a force of personality like V. When he was hired he said he’d have a beer with the players, few if any of whom would have been legal.

Wasn't the drinking age 19 then?

I can also add one major tidbit to Gentleman Carl missing on Tom Hammonds. I was in my first year of working to get into men's college basketball officiating and was going to go to Fred Barakat's 5-Star camps in the summer. I asked carl if I could work his practices in the afternoons because I remember seeing college prof at Wake and now ACC official John Clougherty doing the same thing for Coach Tacy when I was in school and stopped by to watch practices. He let me do as many as I wanted, many by myself and would call so I could get others over there with me when they were scrimmaging. It just so happened that year was Muggsy's freshman year and along with Green, Rudd, Young, Teachey, Garber & Kepley we went to the Final 8.

Back to Tom Hammonds--helluva physical specimen and I came over on a Saturday morning with a partner to work a full scrimmage before a home football game on the weekend of Hammonds' official visit. From many sources at the time, he was being recruited by our assistant coaches primarily without any visits from Tacy but on the other end of things, Bobby Cremins was personally involved with him. So it was Wake assistants going down to Crestview, FL vs head coach Cremins. Who do you think wins that recruiting battle?

The Dinger was the lead recruiter for Hammonds. He had come to WF from Rollins or Stetson, and had Florida connections. He was supposed to be at the game after the Final 4 that Cremins attended. Dinger was fired in March and then Tacy resigned in June.

He not only lost out on Moses but Lefty had been holding off Maurice Robinson. He told Robinson (according to a Tier 2 or 3 source) that he had 1 scholarship left and it was reserved for Malone. Robinson went to WVU where he had a great career, averaging a double-double (He averaged 20 PPG as a Senior) over his last 2 seasons as a 6-7 center and making at least one AA team. Maurice was no Moses but sometimes you wish you'd taken the bird in hand.

Mike Scott was not a star, but he could have been a nice ACC player

Mark Cline was another piece of bad luck for Staak - McDonald's All-American with the knees of an 80-year-old man

Staak's first team wore Pony shoes or some shit like that and I swear, everyone had foot/leg injuries, except for Muggsy

I think we wore Pony one year and Saucony the next. This was before a shoe contract was standard issue for schools.

What I heard at the time was that Tacy didn't get along with the players too well. Kenny Green would not stay if Tacy was there, and Tacy would not stay unless Kenny Green stayed. Both left Wake at the same time, and the Staak years followed.

Staak may be the most snake-bit coach of all time. The guy could not catch a break. Star player got homesick and transferred. Stud recruits get season ending knee injuries (Keys, Siler). There were times after bball practice, you would see more guys on crutches than able-bodied. Lost to State in the final seconds in identical situations (2 pt lead, 3 secs left) by 3 pointer, and after intentional foul (made one, missed one, got rebound put-back ftw). The damn rebound gripped the inside of the rim and swung out at a 90 degree angle from the foul shooter, and fell into a boxed-out State player's hands (Rodney Monroe, I believe) for baseline bunny. Bob should have appeared on Hee Haw to sing "Gloom, Despair, and Agony on Me," especially for the part "if it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all." Yeah, Staak drank. We all would have. And did.

Best thing Staak did was recruit Chris King, who discovered some displaced swimmer while playing pick-up in the V.I. Staak was gone by then and Odom benefited.

No need for that "if" clause in the bolded. Kenny wasn't coming back, period. Source - Kenny Green.

Tacy wasn't a bad recruiter either. He brought in 3 players who's jerseys have been retired (Brown, Griffin, Bogues) and a lot of NBA talent (Frank Johnson, Delaney Rudd, Danny Young, Anthony Teachey, etc) and the Rogers, Johnstone, Morgan, Helms recruiting class was one of the top rated in the country.

It was commonly observed that the ideal coach would be a combination of Lefty Driesell’s recruiting and Carl Tacy’s in-game coaching. The inverse would’ve been horrifying!

Agree with the 1st sentence. As for the 2nd, we've experienced that inverse for the last decade. The horror. The horror.

Zinger was lead recruiter for Hammonds, and was about to commit to Wake. His Dad was in the military and Hammonds decided he wanted to wait until his Dad returned from overseas. During that time he started to waiver and Zimger went to Tacy and begged him to get involved. Tracy didn't, and when Hammonds committed to Ga Tech Tacy lost it with Zinger. That is when he got fired.

Zinger was lead recruiter for Hammonds, and was about to commit to Wake. His Dad was in the military and Hammonds decided he wanted to wait until his Dad returned from overseas. During that time he started to waiver and Zimger went to Tacy and begged him to get involved. Tracy didn't, and when Hammonds committed to Ga Tech Tacy lost it with Zinger. That is when he got fired.

Exactly.

The Dinger was the lead recruiter for Hammonds. He had come to WF from Rollins or Stetson, and had Florida connections. He was supposed to be at the game after the Final 4 that Cremins attended. Dinger was fired in March and then Tacy resigned in June.

Yep, wasn't going to say all of that but he said one time that Tacy blamed him for that recruiting loss. Yet The Man would not go down & see him at all and Bobby Cremins was doing basically all of the recruiting of Hammonds himself. So if you were the kid, who would you think wanted you more?

Back