• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Castle Rock

mako1331

Son of Mako's Mom
Reaction score
Anyone watching? I'm loving it so far, but I am a huge King fan, so I might not be the most objective observer. It does a better job than any King adaptation of really nailing that sense of place that is my favorite aspect of his work.

I caught the first episode and really liked what I saw. I got all giddy for Sheriff Pangborn in the beginning, but did not expect his older version to be played by the insane dad from The Leftovers. Questionable casting choice IMO, but I do like the actor (Scott Glenn). Bill Skarsgard continues to crush every role he gets, even minor ones.

I was getting pretty nostalgic watching it. Needful Things is one of my favorite King books and it takes place in Castle Rock, so I will be disappointed if it's not factored into the season. Along with that ol' cunt Randall Flagg.

“Shopkeeper missing after oddity store fire”

There’s my Needful Things reference :)

Looks like Skarsgård is shaping up to be the Flagg-esque character. Really good stuff through 2 episodes.

Will just copy this from the Netflix thread.

Im a big fan of both King and Abrams, so this was a no brainer for me and I must say, the first 2 episodes have been very promising. I think they capture King's ability for suspense and intrigue without going horror really at all. Yeah, it could all blow up in the end, as even some of his really good works do(I guess that actually goes for both of them), but so far, Im just enjoying the ride.

Agree with the Scott Glen take. I can't imagine a director wouldn't see that as a jarring change, so maybe there is more going on there.

The character I was most rooting for to show up was Father Callahan (Salem's Lot and The Dark Tower) but after watching the first 2 episodes, they'd have to make him pretty young. Did they ever give us that young priest's name? It's probably a little too overt for the style it looks like they're going for anyway.

Episode 7 deserves all the awards. I thought 6 was great, but 7 is just...wow.

I've read most of King's books, (especially the Castle Rock ones) but I gave up on the Dark Tower series after trying to get through the fourth book (the one with the flashback). Is it worth watching this series without having finished those books?

For sure. The books have nothing to do with the show. There are easter eggs sprinkled throughout, but they're completely supplementary. If you like King, you will like the series.

Also, that 4th book is super slow, but really good. The series gets really weird after that one. (Even weirder, I should say)

Just got around to watching the last 3 episodes. I thought it ended well, if not spectacularly. Most King stories don't end with tidy bows, but rather reinforce a theme and that's what happened here. All in all, I probably give it a B+/A-. It watched almost exactly like a King novel reads, so kudos to the writer for capturing the essence of King.

Back