• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Caution regarding use of Pinterest

my understanding, before reading the article (which has not changed based on the article) is that it's only illegal if you don't link it back to the original source. MOST pins link back to the original source. i have certainly run across ones that don't though, and i have a bunch of photographer friends who are bothered by it, because they're not getting the credit (which is exactly what the article is saying). but as long as the link is there, i always thought it was legal.

if i'm wrong on that, please let me know. i can go through and bookmark all of my stuff and delete it if it's illegal. but i don't THINK it is unless the link is broken.

or at least this is what one of my pro photographer friends had pinned...

6a014e88ed62aa970d016762537661970b-400wi

After my first few pins I saw something about "pinterest etiquette" which was basically to always pin from the original source, rather than "repin" from another Pinterest user. It made sense to me so I tried to do that from then on. I may have a few that aren't, though.

Hoops I am not sure at all, I was just posting this to give people a head's up.

After my first few pins I saw something about "pinterest etiquette" which was basically to always pin from the original source, rather than "repin" from another Pinterest user. It made sense to me so I tried to do that from then on. I may have a few that aren't, though.

what does this actually change? when you click on the image, it still takes you to the original source, even if you're repinning.

If you click on the link above the picture it takes you to the other person's board rather than to the source.

WHAT? People re-post images and content without permission on the INTERNET? #BREAKINGNEWS

Seriously, STFU. Water Mark your images or take it down. This has happened on the web since the beginning of internet time.

As for Pinterest, this strikes me like the Grooveshark argument. I think if it ever went to court, they'd inevitably find Pinterest liable, not the person. But I'm not a lawyer, I just play one on TV.

WHAT? People re-post images and content without permission on the INTERNET? #BREAKINGNEWS

Seriously, STFU. Water Mark your images or take it down. This has happened on the web since the beginning of internet time.

As for Pinterest, this strikes me like the Grooveshark argument. I think if it ever went to court, they'd inevitably find Pinterest liable, not the person. But I'm not a lawyer, I just play one on TV.

Both would likely be liable. The user for direct infringement and the site for contributory infringement.

i met one of the founders tonight - this would have been a better question to ask him than "how has designing a product to be very female friendly been a challenge to attract male users and what strategy they use"

Shocker lawyers ruining something people like.

Back