• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CBM: X-Men '97; Deadpool and Wolverine trailer

Top 5

Winter Soldier
Guardians of the Galaxy
Iron Man
Avengers
Civil War

Bottom 5

Iron Man 2
Thor 2
Iron Man 3
Incredible Hulk
Age of Ultron

I think they are all good movies, but Age of Ultron is the worst of them. It was just crammed too full of action sequences, not enough down time with dialogue between the characters, the Black Widow-Hulk relationship felt tacked on, Ultron was wasted as he is a better villain in the comics and his plan with Sekovia was stupid.

Saw it yesterday and thought it was great. The absolute two strongest aspects were the female characters and the fact that Killmonger had a well written motivation, easily the best of any MCU movie. Seems like outside of last year’s Spider-man, every other villain is basically just an asshole and doesn’t really have any motivation other than money or power.

Since everyone else is doing it I’ll give it try - some of this is colored by the fact I didn’t see all of the movies in the theater.

My ranking
Guardians of the Galaxy
Civil War
The Avengers
Thor Ragnorak
Black Panther
Guardians Vol 2
Spider-man Homecoming
Iron Man
Winter Soldier
Captain America
Ultron
Thor
Ant-Man
Doctor Strange
Iron Man 3
Thor Dark World
Incredible Hulk
Iron Man 2

I really liked X2 when it came out but I haven’t seen it in a long time. Agreed on Spidey 2 but I haven’t seen it in a long time either. I doubt either would do better than just above the bottom 5 MCU.

None of the Nolan films would crack the MCU top 5. Dark Knight just doesn’t age as well as Iron Man. Ledger is definitely a top 5 performance though.

Disagree completely on the Nolan/Dark Knight comments. It’s still fantastic.

Black Panther hits $700 million worldwide, including $108 million this weekend.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottm...ith-record-breaking-2nd-weekend/#2d2252a8213f

Black Panther earned $108 million on its second Fri-Sun frame, a drop of just 46% from last weekend’s record-crushing $202m Fri-Sun opening. In terms of raw dollars, it is the second-biggest second weekend gross of all time between Universal/Comast Corp.'s Jurassic World ($106.5m) and Lucasfilm's The Force Awakens ($149m). It has now earned $400m in ten days of release, which makes it the second-fastest grosser of all time (for now) behind only Jurassic World ($404m) and The Force Awakens ($540m).

BP is far an away the best Marvel movie. Only other contenders are Guardians, Iron Man 1, and the Avengers.

Pretty awful revisionist history to say TDK wouldn't best any of the top 5 MCU. It was the film that got the Academy to change its Best Picture requirements. It still pretty much always tops comic book movie best of lists.

Pretty awful revisionist history to say TDK wouldn't best any of the top 5 MCU. It was the film that got the Academy to change its Best Picture requirements. It still pretty much always tops comic book movie best of lists.
Recency bias.

Yeah DK is better than any Marvel movie even though it’s last third dragged.

These statements (out of order) sum up my thoughts on The Dark Knight. I just think the game has been elevated and the film hasn't aged well. That's not to say it isn't a great film. Obviously it is. I just prefer my Marvel Top 5.

Burton's Batman wasn't all that good. It just wasn't. Neither was Donner's Superman.

I haven't watched Batman Begins in a long time. Last time I watched Dark Knight and Dark Knight Returns, the holes in the stories really stuck out, the latter more than the former. Compare that to when I rewatched the Captain American trilogy, I appreciate them more.

Also the Nolan films haven't aged well. Still good but it's not an everlasting formula.

The problem with taking Superman dark is that if you take a character who can punch his way out of any problem and put him in a world where that is acceptable, that takes away much of tension of the character. Make him unafraid to use those powers and you have a menace. That's not a problem in itself but you've got to work to make him a legit hero.

Another problem is the movies need to embrace intrepid reporter Clark Kent. Give Clark and Lois something to investigate. Give them an overlying issue besides just the presence of Superman in Metropolis.

Superman/Clark could also be used to address some very current issues. He United urban and rural. He's a refugee who represents truth, justice, and the American way. A Kansas farm boy who moves to the big city, gets a job as an investigative reporter, and falls in love with a city girl coworker and rival can be good story on its own.

I still want to see this Superman film. A red state illegal alien in the big city.

I disagree that the the Nolan films have aged poorly. Why do you think they have?

Go back and find my post from a few months ago after I watched The Dark Knight Rises. And compare it to my post from the day it premiered. That should give you an indication.

I'm watching The Dark Knight Rises. First time I've watched it in a long time. I loved it when it came out. Even went back and read my original post on this thread about it. Now? It's corny AF. So many elements of it are laughable like "Same bat time, same bat channel" laughable. The bar has been raised significantly by MCU Phase 2 and Marvel Netflix. It's a shame that DC seems to be trying to capture the magic of the Nolan films when Marvel has shown that much more could be done. There are elements I still liked. For example, the Talia Al Ghul twist was well done. Everybody knew she was Talia, but the twist came so late that it looked like it wasn't going to happen. But at the same time, they robbed us of a full movie of Talia Al Ghul badassery and mindfuckery. Kind of like Dent was well done, but we were robbed of a full Two-Face film. And I still want to see a South American who uses Venom to swell up into a huge muscular beast.

Anne Hathaway was great though. Her and Heath are still in the pantheon.

It's down there. Looking back, we're very lucky to have comic book films now. Iron Man and The Dark Knight in 2008 really did reinvigorate the game after the turds that were X3 and Superman Returns dropped in 2006 followed by Spiderman 3 in 2007.

The further we get from TDK, the more evident I think it is that it’s a good (not great) super hero flick that contains a once in a generation performance within it. Minus Ledger, I’m not even sure it’s better than Batman Begins.

Exactly. The genre keeps raising the bar. The problem isn’t that TDK does hold up as well as Iron Man. The problem is DC hasn’t improved their films as the bar has been raised.

TDK & TDKR remain some of my favorite super hero movies. I hardly consider the Nolan films part of the DC film collection though

Saw BP this past weekend and enjoyed it, but thought it lacked good dialogue. Also, I didnt feel very connected to the final fight scene between Kilmonger and BP. That being said, it looked fantastic and the soundtrack gave a great vibe.

Yeah, that’s good stuff from down east.

I waited in line for 20 minutes since the theater we usually go to doesn’t have assigned seating.

Back