• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CBM: X-Men '97; Deadpool and Wolverine trailer

MCU Bucky is your favorite character?

I'm a big fan. I thought his character brought a depth needed in the universe in both The Winter Soldier and Civil War. I'm also a sucker for story arc where villains turn allies (See my primary complaint about how the X Men universe has been handled)

But yeah, if you're asking if I'd choose him over everyone else in the universe, probably not. I just find myself rooting for him. Maybe I'm kind of bored with the primaries. :noidea:

I'm a big fan. I thought his character brought a depth needed in the universe in both The Winter Soldier and Civil War. I'm also a sucker for story arc where villains turn allies (See my primary complaint about how the X Men universe has been handled)

But yeah, if you're asking if I'd choose him over everyone else in the universe, probably not. I just find myself rooting for him. Maybe I'm kind of bored with the primaries. :noidea:

What's your X-Men complaint?

What's your X-Men complaint?

Mostly a lack of overall vision, a large part of which has been their inability to develop over-arcing character roles. It's hard to pin it down since they practically re-booted the franchise without technically re-booting it, but given the complexity and level of confliction in the source material, they have failed to build a single compelling character in that universe. For example: I have no idea what's going on with Phoenix (though they're about to attempt to clarify). Wolverine has been handled with kiddie gloves (until they finally cut him loose in Logan). They treat Magneto like a yo-yo (having him flip sides every 15 mins). Apocalypse could have been their Thanos, but assuming he's gone, they blew an opportunity to build a world around arguably their most complex villain in a largely forgettable movie.

When you look at how characters like Loki, Bucky, Scarlet Witch, Thanos and even Nebula are being handled, it makes the shortcomings of the X Men franchise painfully obvious.

Last edited:
I’m really excited about Marvel Studios potentially getting X-Men for many reasons. But the biggest is that they’ve shown they can do films with a lot of characters and a lot of action. I liked DOFP for example but it was a few main characters and fodder. First Class had strengths but it didn’t do right by a lot of characters.

Who knows what Marvel Studios will do but man I would love to see the build up the X-Universe parallel to the traditional MCU. Tease the overlaps in post-credits to set up X-Men vs. Avengers.

CBM: The Avengers: Infinity War - Biggest opening ever ($258M) (spoilers)

By the way, the last two eps of Legion were boring when put together. I understand what they were trying to do but it’s hard to include a character in two eps to make up for not having that character all season. It just reminds viewers what they’ve missed.

Also last nights could have used a Jon Hamm portion to explain the main theme of the ep rather than clumsy character exposition.

Here's a terrible Best Superhero Movies Ever list from the Ringer, which makes me want to never read the Ringer again.

http://superheroes.theringer.com/?_ga=2.145993010.766130248.1525886933-338489666.1506712349

I know this is all subjective, and I know they used a formula, but they just fundamentally screw a lot up and if this is what the formula provides, change the formula:

Their rankings of the Spiderman movies are terrible -- Spiderman 3 higher than The Amazing Spiderman? Spiderman higher than Spiderman 2? Both higher than Homecoming?

They way, way overranked Iron Man 2

Way, way overranked all of 80s Superman movies, and Superman Returns.

Ultron higher than Winter Soldier, Logan?

Underrated the Blades --- Suicide Squad better than the Blades, Batman v Superman and Justice League (and a bunch of others below it)?

XMen: Last Stand in the Top 50? Better than both Hellboys? Hell No.

Also, the second Ghost Rider was fantastic.

It hurts when you see that you're on ignore.

I normally find lists to be pretty inane, but the Ringer took a stab at the top 50 superhero films by combining arbitrary feels with KenPomish metrics (not really, there's nothing "advanced" about the 2 used).

http://superheroes.theringer.com/?_ga=2.253465921.911953899.1525536236-484958276.1525536235

I didn't really dig into the ranking until now. No list of these movies should ever include Spider Man 3 unless it's a ranking if "shittiest". With all sincerity, I'd put Dolph Lundgren's Punisher above it. One might want to put the 90s Fantastic Four on the bad list, but DeBrie Bardeaux saves it.

Now that I look at it closer, it's pretty sloppy. No Kingsmen, no Wanted? These two movies had to have met the objective metrics. Bah.

Some interesting notes from a podcast I'm listening to.

Apparently, the Hulk footage in the trailer was legit. Marvel decided at the last minute to keep Banner in the Hulkbuster. There's apparently a Hulkbuster toy in which the Hulk busts out of the suit. Presumably that was going to happen in the film. That may explain why the last shot of Banner's head in the Hulkbuster suit was such poor CGI.

Along with that, the Hulk has a 4 film story arc that started in Ragnorak instead of another Hulk solo film.

The Venom trailer has "In association with" Marvel instead of just the Marvel. It's possible Marvel is specifically distancing themselves from what Sony is doing. We'll know more if Avengers 4 happens to be titled Avengers: Secret Wars.

Spider-Man Homecoming 2 debuts 2 months after Avengers 4. Presumably Sony won't be able to promote the film until after Avengers 4 even shows Spidey is alive.

Last edited:
Some interesting notes from a podcast I'm listening to.

Apparently, the Hulk footage in the trailer was legit. Marvel decided at the last minute to keep Banner in the Hulkbuster. There's apparently a Hulkbuster toy in which the Hulk busts out of the suit. Presumably that was going to happen in the film. That may explain why the last shot of Banner's head in the Hulkbuster suit was such poor CGI.

Along with that, the Hulk has a 4 film story arc that started in Ragnorak instead of another Hulk solo film.

The Venom trailer has "In association with" Marvel instead of just the Marvel. It's possible Marvel is specifically distancing themselves from what Sony is doing. We'll know more if Avengers 4 happens to be titled Avengers: Secret Wars.

Spider-Man Homecoming 2 debuts 2 months after Avengers 4. Presumably Sony won't be able to promote the film until after Avengers 4 even shows Spidey is alive.

What is this podcast?

Disney Dish with Jim Hill is the main podcast. He's a Disney park historian who has lots of sources inside the company. He recently added podcasts on Marvel, Lucasfilm, and Disney Animation.

What is the podcaster saying the significance of the title "Secret Wars" is? That it's going to merge the various movie-verses?

What is the podcaster saying the significance of the title "Secret Wars" is? That it's going to merge the various movie-verses?

Just the symbiote. That’s just one guy’s theory. No scoop. The theory is that the events of Infinity War set off something like Secret Wars and Spidey returns with the symbiote. Marvel can’t stop Sony from doing Venom but they can distance themselves from it.

Knowing that Homecoming 2 and Black Panther 2 had been announced, during the ending when T'Challa and Peter turned to dust, I was getting excited that the MCU was opening the door for Shuri to be the next BP and that Homecoming 2 would be a Miles Morales movie.

Then I remembered that there's also a Guardians 3, so all of this is going to be reversed somehow.

There's every incentive for Marvel to give Donald Glover (presumably Miles Morales' uncle) a bigger role going forward. Wouldn't be shocked if Morales is introduced in the next film.

There's every incentive for Marvel to give Donald Glover (presumably Miles Morales' uncle) a bigger role going forward. Wouldn't be shocked if Morales is introduced in the next film.

Would it be shocking to jump right into a Spider-Verse storyline? I mean it appears they’re setting up the Sinister Six as a villainous group, but maybe Pete ends up needing help from Spider-Gwen/Miles/Miguel/Ben/Kaine/etc?

That seems too ambitious to me too quick, but maybe Sony wants that because OMG toys.

Would it be shocking to jump right into a Spider-Verse storyline? I mean it appears they’re setting up the Sinister Six as a villainous group, but maybe Pete ends up needing help from Spider-Gwen/Miles/Miguel/Ben/Kaine/etc?

That seems too ambitious to me too quick, but maybe Sony wants that because OMG toys.

Who knows? Sony is dropping the Spider-Verse animated film at the end of the year. And it looks really good.

I think the Venom discussion is about the Secret Wars with the disco Beyonder where the black spider suit debuted. Doom played a major role there, but not like new Secret Wars which is all about Doom (and Reed).

I think the Venom discussion is about the Secret Wars with the disco Beyonder where the black spider suit debuted. Doom played a major role there, but not like new Secret Wars which is all about Doom (and Reed).

This is correct.

I do greatly look forward to Doom in the Marvel Universe, especially now that they seem to have figured out villains.

Back