• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CBM: X-Men '97; Deadpool and Wolverine trailer

I knew absolutely nothing about the Suicide squad at all from comics and i didn't see the Will smith movie so I was a complete newbie and I loved it. So good. My only complaint is that the violence and gore is so over the top that it earned it's R rating and then some which means that my wife will never let my boys watch it which means that at some point I'm going to have to sneak watch it with them and swear them to silence and somehow my wife will find out.

The Suicide Squad certainly delivered. That was a well-earned R rating. I'm not that big on gore and it worked for me. Glad I didn't try to watch it with my wife though.

James Gunn is a brilliant dude. The cast was excellent. I liked Robbie's Harley much more here than in the other one. Not sure how they're going to build on this going forward aside from the Peacemaker show coming to HBO Max. It's certainly the best of the DCEU films.

We should take a second to reflect on how there are now three versions of King Shark out there in The Suicide Squad, The Flash, and Harley Quinn that are all fairly well done. Couldn't have imagined that 10 years ago.

Stargirl Season 2 premieres tomorrow night on CW. It was the best of the CW shows last year. Based on the trailers, Eclipso and Shade will be two of the main villains. Plenty more members of the JSA will debut.

Everybody's giving (deserved) props to Stallone's King Shark but I'm still team Ron Funches' KS in the Harley Quinn animated show for the best King Shark.

TSS's numbers were indeed disappointing - 26M for the weekend. The DC movies are part of a new corporate structure so hopefully the new bosses won't learn the wrong lessons like I suspect WB would have - that the disappointing numbers were due to a movie that didn't adhere to "the formula".

The prior Suicide Squad director, David Ayer, has gone public about studio interference f'ing up his movie. I believe him.

Lastly - I :heart: "What If?" Excellent first ep.

Loved suicide squad. Really well done. Wife really liked it as well. The "Harley Quinn sequence" was as good as any comic book movie action scene. Really well done and a fun showcase for her.

Animated HQ is on my list but I'm starting a new job Monday with a steep learning curve so we'll see how much time I have available.

I saw that TSS barely outperformed Mortal Kombat which was also an R-rated film that came out on HBO Max. That's very disappointing. I hope studios aren't taking too many lessons about women-led and R-rated films from pandemic box office performance.

I will say that this is a sign that DC mediocrity is starting to hurt its long-term fortunes. Superhero films aren't blending together for audiences and the Marvel brand is distinct. Also, they should have changed the title. The Suicide Squad: Blood and Peace maybe? Shame to see such a good movie underperform. It's the best DCEU film by a wide margin. Maybe any good will from the Snyder Cut just made it to HBO Max.

I completely forgot that I never saw Birds of Prey. I may have to go back and fix that after liking this Harley much more than the Suicide Squad Harley. I've seen that Margot Robbie wants to do a Harley and Poison Ivy film, but I'm not sure if they'd go all-in with a live-action supervillain lesbian love story that covers similar territory as the animated series. I'd be all for casting Lake Bell to be Ivy in live-action as well though.

Sucks about the Suicide Squad numbers, because it was an amazing movie. First film I've seen in the theaters since Covid hit, and both my wife and I loved it. Am I the only one that was like 95 percent sure that they saw Mahershala Ali in a cameo as one of the soldiers in the movie?

Birds of Prey may have been the last big budget movie to hit theaters just as Covid became nationally recognized as a concern (among rationale people). I think it was my first "NOPE" movie.

Given the passage of time, I can safely call it not that memorable, because I can't give too many details about it. I remember thinking it was a waste of Ewan McGregor.

As for Ali, no Mako you're not the only one, I found a couple of Reddit threads asking the same, here's one:
https://www.reddit.com/r/SuicideSqu...i_the_only_one_who_noticed_mahershala_ali_as/

I haven't seen it confirmed anywhere though, so I'm going to vote "no".

That looks enough like Ali to avoid any “all look alike” criticism but I didn’t think that guy looked like him.

That looks enough like Ali to avoid any “all look alike” criticism but I didn’t think that guy looked like him.

I mean, this is coming from the guy that asked every black dude he met in Florida if he was PH, so that's fair.

I completely forgot that I never saw Birds of Prey. I may have to go back and fix that after liking this Harley much more than the Suicide Squad Harley. I've seen that Margot Robbie wants to do a Harley and Poison Ivy film, but I'm not sure if they'd go all-in with a live-action supervillain lesbian love story that covers similar territory as the animated series. I'd be all for casting Lake Bell to be Ivy in live-action as well though.

I really enjoyed Birds of Prey, fwiw.

Suicide Squad was good, but it had all of the beats that Gunn developed (and better, imo) in GotG 1 and 2. Even the score was derivative!

That said, Birds of Prey and Suicide Squad are both clearly the best of the recent DC bunch imo, though that probably has more to do with how utterly miserable DC films have been post-Nolan than anything else.

I loved it how GotG and TSS are both built around gruff, buff dudes with comedy chops, a furry CGI character, a burly CGI humanoid character, and a bunch of "social reject" types. I think I watch too many of these movies...

CBM: The Suicide Squad (HBO Max)/Stargirl (CW)/Marvel's What If? (Disney+)

I'd like to see a rated R Guardians of the Galaxy so we can see exactly how dangerous Gamora and Nebula actually are in line with that amazing Harley scene.

What If? was brilliant. Peggy Carter is still my favorite MCU character. Captain Carter was great. They’ll have to bring her into live action. Every twist with this story was good.

The animation was beautiful. I’d gladly take a new X-Men animated series in that style over bringing them into the MCU.

Last edited:
Okay, super proud of my geek knowledge here. In watching the first episode of What If?, I wondered if the tentacle monster was Shuma Gorath. Seems like I was right. Thankfully I've been reading some Doctor Strange lately or I would have had no idea who that was.

Also, agree with PH that Suicide Squad has been the best DCEU movie by far.

Most people who know Shuma Gorath, know the character from this:

Great game. Never really played with Shuma Gorath though. I think I typically played with Venom/Mega Man/Tron Bonne.

What If? was brilliant. Peggy Carter is still my favorite MCU character. Captain Carter was great. They’ll have to bring her into live action. Every twist with this story was good.

Sorry if it's been discussed already, but how does What If? fit into the MCU? Is it like a "Spiderverse"-style introduction to the MCU multiverse?

Most people who know Shuma Gorath, know the character from this:

Great game. Never really played with Shuma Gorath though. I think I typically played with Venom/Mega Man/Tron Bonne.

Never played those games. I'm pretty bad at fighter games.

Except Smash Brothers. I'm decent at that one at least.

CBM: The Suicide Squad (HBO Max)/Stargirl (CW)/Marvel's What If? (Disney+)

Sorry if it's been discussed already, but how does What If? fit into the MCU? Is it like a "Spiderverse"-style introduction to the MCU multiverse?

Not sure. Coming out of Loki, it’s quite possible all this is canon. I did see that Captain Carter was going to be coming back in the show. The MCU can’t quit Hayley Atwell and for good reason.

I used to play all the Capcom Marvel fighting games through Marvel Vs. Capcom 2. There used to be an X-Men: Children of the Atom machine in Benson. I’d go over there and play when I had a few quarters to burn. MVC Infinite was a disappointing game and I barely played it. I hope they come back with a fighting game with just Marvel characters.

Last edited:
Disney has announced that Shang Chi won't be available on D+ the same day it's available in theaters and we will have to wait 45 days for it.

I'm guessing the ScarJo lawsuit has some legs to it.

Overall, disappointing. I'd much rather pay $30 and stay at home than make the effort to go to a theater and watch it.

At this point I'm equating the comics series to the show: stand-alone stories that don't affect the main timeline. Canon in the sense that, they happened in whatever universe it's in, but not in Universe 199999. This season will conclude before Dr. Strange 2 so if they want to borrow from the show for some universes colliding, it's available.

I feel like aside from Star Girl, I'm just watching the CW shows out of obligation at this point. Legends has lost most of the magic that made it fun. I had no idea what was going on in Flash most of the time. And I'm not really looking forward to Supergirl returning either.

Back