• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CBM: X-Men '97; Deadpool and Wolverine trailer

a0D2oYx.jpg

it's a pretty cool time to have been a kid that was into comics

It's a cool time to be an adult who was into comics. I enjoy seeing people who "wasted" time reading comics turning what was marginal cultural capital into actual economic capital now that it's become mainstream.

I use this as an example when people say people should go to school to get a job. My counter has always been that we don't know what jobs will be in 10, 20, 30, 40 years, so people should learn what interests them and go from there. Now we have an example of knowledge that wasn't worth much 20-30 years ago that can be a job on its own now due to the cultural landscape and technology. Comics knowledge is now something that can be turned into a job.

I wouldn't be surprised to see English departments offer certificates or specializations in writing comics. My wife is reviewing dissertations for a dissertation award and she was telling me about a woman who did an English dissertation on feminist discourse in comics. She's written for Harley Quinn and Wonder Woman.

It's a cool time to be an adult who was into comics.

Oh, definitely. I still read big events and follow a couple titles. The difference now, though, is that all of the IP is kinda converging around the MCU. So reading comics is a bit less anarchic of an experience than it used to be back in the day when everybody was less concerned with sticking to canon, etc.

What titles do y'all read with your kids?

don't read comics with them. mostly because i don't recall all the content and don't remember which ones might have topics that i would prefer to be prepared to discuss as needed. probably not much. i was reading x-men books, spiderman, some others based on creators i dug. I was around for the early days of todd mcfarlane (his run on spidey), jim lee, silvestri, liefeld's giant pouches and crappy feet etc. saw the rise of image and other creator lead efforts. i've probably got 1k books or so boxed and largely bagged. one of these days one or both of the kids are gonna realize they are just sitting there. my daughter is going to, rightfully, complain about the problem with women's super hero costumes.

Been awhile. Thoughts on the What If? finale? I'm impressed with how they pulled it all off.

Legends of Tomorrow season 7 and Batwoman season 3 premiere on Wednesday on the CW. Legends hit a creative skit. Batwoman was solid and found its voice. This season introduces new versions of classic villains. We'll see how that ends up.

Been awhile. Thoughts on the What If? finale? I'm impressed with how they pulled it all off.

Legends of Tomorrow season 7 and Batwoman season 3 premiere on Wednesday on the CW. Legends hit a creative skit. Batwoman was solid and found its voice. This season introduces new versions of classic villains. We'll see how that ends up.

I didn't understand Gamora at first but then read that because of Covid, they weren't able to do as many episodes as they'd originally planned. I thought it was really fun though. Kind of like a mini Avengers Assemble moment. My only gripe was that the smasher didn't work on the stones because they were from a different universe. But if the Watcher knew everything that was going to happen and was actively interfering at that point, wouldn't have been easier to point that out and then we don't have to have the self contained universe? Minor point given that the alternative could have been disastrous for other reasons, namely Killmonger's betrayal.

The Watcher knew all that and the whole goal was to trap Ultron, Zola, Kilmonger, and the stones forever.

Last edited:
Now we need someone to confirm these Bill Murray in Ant-Man 3 rumors.

It's interesting that Adam Warlock shows up AFTER all the Thanos stuff has been resolved.

I'm going to push the limits of what we discuss here, but technically Archie is a comic book so...Riverdale.

I'm done with the series now. Next season is introducing magic to Riverdale and though I love shows about magic, I absolutely hate when magic is used in a show that's based in reality. I stopped watching Nancy Drew for the same reason.

The only thing that's even keeping it on my radar is that they are bringing in Sabrina from the Netflix series but I don't think that will be enough.

Even when a show isn’t based in reality, it’s annoying. It’s fine for Suoergirl to deal with 5th dimension imps. It’s not fine for a main character to all of a sudden become a witch to help.

Even when a show isn’t based in reality, it’s annoying. It’s fine for Suoergirl to deal with 5th dimension imps. It’s not fine for a main character to all of a sudden become a witch to help.

I agree with that. Although it gives me Merlin flashbacks so I'll allow it. That said I'm pretty done with Supergirl anyway and if it wasn't the last season, I would have quit already. I'm debating whether to get involved in the next season of Legends too.

I haven't looked into the details, but it seems like Legends must have had some weird filming schedule issues or something. The first half was downright bad. I do think they went back in the right direction in the second half when Sarah rejoined the team. Still their worst season (I'm not counting S1 which was a whole different level of bad).

I give a thumbs up to the What If...? finale. The penultimate episode was one of my favorite non-comics Marvel stories yet so the ending didn't live up to that standard but still very good. I had nerd nit-picks along the way during those 2 episodes but *hand wave* alternate dimensions.

I'm all caught up on Doom Patrol. It's stayed consistently true to the source and has become a favorite CBTV show for me.

I also saw Injustice, the new DC animated movie. It's good, like, 6.5/10 type of good. By now we've had enough "Superman but bad" stories ("The Boys" and "Invincible" for example) that it's not as fresh as it was when released in comics.

Various and sundry:
I have to watch Star Trek Prodigy, there's no not watching any Trek for me. I'm moderately optimistic about not hating it, which is the bar I set given that it's for kids.
On the other hand the previews for Discovery and Picard provide little to no optimism, respectively. I'm very happy with Lower Decks at least.

Suuuuuper excited for new Expanse, which we'll get Dec 10. I had some initial concerns about a short (6 episode) final season, due to parallels to GoT, but a huge difference is the book authors are heavily involved and have the roadmap to follow. I've got my fingers crossed that they'll announce more new seasons, they just have to. I'm finally started the book series now, like, just started so no comment at this time.

“6.5/10 good” accurately describes the DC Animated movies. Glad I watch them but not particularly memorable. Only a few have been bad (Killing Joke) or particularly good (Wonder Woman).

I know it's "for kids" but Prodigy looks like Paramount wants to cram star wars and star trek together

I'm all caught up on Doom Patrol. It's stayed consistently true to the source and has become a favorite CBTV show for me.

I'm glad y'all encouraged me to keep going. It definitely started slow, imo, but it's in a nice rhythm now. The last 3 or so episodes of the first season and start of the second have been fun.

Wait, are DC Titans and DC Doom Patrol not the same thing? Just have a lot of the same characters?

I keep trying to look it up without getting too deep into spoilers about either, but now I'm just confused.

Last edited:
Back