• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CBM: X-Men '97 finale; My Adventures with Superman S2 May 25; The Boys S4 June 13

Hitfix's HeroFix website has a good summary of the changes that were made. Yondu was probably the one with the most changes.

Why do they not have Galactus rights? And why wouldn't they have Annihilus?

Your Galactus question was answered above. As to Annihilus, it's possible that he too is licensed to Fox, since he historically appears in FF stories. Further Googling shows that he is indeed unavailable to Marvel Studios and does belong to Fox.

A second viewing showed me that those aliens I thought were the Watchers actually were not. I didn't recognize them at all.

Seriously, go see Guardians of the Galaxy. Seriously. (SPOILERS)

$94M opening weekend unofficially. $1M behind Cap 2. Only $5M behind Iron Man 1. Third highest opening weekend of the year just ahead of Spider-man 2, X-Men: DOFP, and Godzilla.

Unreal.

Your Galactus question was answered above. As to Annihilus, it's possible that he too is licensed to Fox, since he historically appears in FF stories. Further Googling shows that he is indeed unavailable to Marvel Studios and does belong to Fox.

A second viewing showed me that those aliens I thought were the Watchers actually were not. I didn't recognize them at all.

There are just so many crossovers in storylines there

Again I forgot about that Rise of the Silver Surfer movie, but it still seems strange Annihilus would be given to Fox. He also fights Avengers, GoA, Nova and he is part of the Infinity storyline

So this may have been covered but how are right decided? Is it based on where characters originated? As in if your character originated in a FF comic you are Fox? If your character originated in X-Men comic you are Fox? Etc?

Last edited:
$94M opening weekend unofficially. $1M behind Cap 2. Only $5M behind Iron Man 1. Third highest opening weekend of the year just ahead of Spider-man 2, X-Men: DOFP, and Godzilla.

Unreal.

Impressive

A few questions.

What did Peter's mom or granddad/uncle say about Peter's dad?

How did the Ravangers manage to go 20 years without delivering Quill back to his dad?

Howard the Duck may be a set up for a One Shot on how he ended up with The Collector.

It's interesting that you bring up Star Wars, Ph. While I was sitting in the theater I kept thinking that Guardians is as close to capturing what the original Star Wars was as I've ever seen. Pulling off a space opera without it being cheesy is probably as difficult as it gets in cinema. Gunn and Marvel really did set a new bar for the genre, I think.

I agree with all the comparisons to the original Star Wars trilogy and I think Wesley Morris really nailed it in his review:

http://grantland.com/features/guardians-of-the-galaxy-get-on-up-review/
The trouble with what George Lucas has done to the movies is that so many writers and directors and companies have learned the wrong lessons. They’re building myths and monuments and worlds. But they’re not having any fun. Guardians is the first movie since Mel Brooks’s Spaceballs to understand that the Star Wars movies were also comedies. Gunn is a lot more playful than Lucas, and he’s not a priceless cynic like Brooks. This is the sort of the movie that men like Zack Snyder want to make but lack the gravity-free touch to put together. Gunn appears to remember the high of certain kinds of moviegoing, where when the credits are over, all you want to do is get back in line and enjoy the whole thing again. He’s made that kind of adventure, one of the few that inspire you to do as its studio commands: Marvel.

What makes Guardians so great is that it takes itself only as seriously as it has to in order to make the audience care, but doesn't go any further and ruin the goofy fun of it.

A few questions.

What did Peter's mom or granddad/uncle say about Peter's dad?

How did the Ravangers manage to go 20 years without delivering Quill back to his dad?

Howard the Duck may be a set up for a One Shot on how he ended up with The Collector.

The mom said something along the lines of "He was an angel, made of light".

Later in the movie, Yondu said "I may be an angel, but I don't act like one" (something like that) which, for a moment, made me question if Yondu was his dad, but Yondu's comments immediately afterward quelled that thought.

How they avoided his dad, perhaps we'll see. Space is big, after all.

I'd bet the farm we haven't seen the last of Howard the Duck.

His father would presumably play a large part in the next movie... Probably as an antagonist. J'Son isn't exactly a good dude.

Here's another perspective for this weekend's opening of $94M. The previous record for an August opening was The Bourne Ultimatum with $69M.

Really? I thought he wasn't all bad. I thought he had moments of both

I mean he isn't a villain, but he doesn't really care very much about the rest of the Galaxy like Peter...he's really kind of a selfish prick most of the time. At least the bit I've read of him. More of the type to sell out everyone else to save his own empire.

i actually thought yondu's weapon was kind of dumb. i mean it's cool he can just whistle and it flies around but it seem really impractical

Really enjoyed the movie and so did my wife. The first half of the movie was just perfect with comedy + action. Love me some Rocket Raccoon, so hilarious, and yet that bar scene was touching (which is hard to pull off with a CGI raccoon with a giant gun). I thought the final action sequence was enjoyable if ridiculous. My only criticism is the same as someone said a few posts ago, Gamorra had some clunker lines where she was stuck doing exposition but having to try and do in a breathless excited way (scene on the pirate ship). Will definitely be owning this movie. Best Marvel film since Iron Man.

My personal rankings, i.e. Marvel films I have enjoyed the most -

Iron Man
Avengers
GOTG
Captain America
Thor
Iron Man 2 & 3
Thor Dark World
Winter Soldier

Guardians of the Galaxy
The Avengers
Thor: The Dark World
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Iron Man 3
Iron Man
Captain America: The First Avenger
Thor
Iron Man 2
The Incredible Hulk

I went for a 10:30pm showing on Saturday night. Tops 20 people in the theatre. Quite nice.

I read somewhere that the audience for GOTG was 44% women, the highest for any Marvel Studios film. Hopefully that bodes well for getting a Captain Marvel and/or Black Widow movie made and a more fleshed out Gamora-Nebula storyline in GOTG 2.

By the way, Zoe Saldana-Karen Gillan sammich > Gywneth Paltrow-Scarlet Jo sammich.

I read somewhere that the audience for GOTG was 44% women, the highest for any Marvel Studios film. Hopefully that bodes well for getting a Captain Marvel and/or Black Widow movie made and a more fleshed out Gamora-Nebula storyline in GOTG 2.

By the way, Zoe Saldana-Karen Gillan sammich > Gywneth Paltrow-Scarlet Jo sammich.

That's a #boldtake.

I would take a ScarJo and Chris Martin sandwich over Saldana-Gillan. Anything for a night with her.

Saldana is hot and Gillan is cute but ScarJo is outrageous.

I would take a ScarJo and Chris Martin sandwich over Saldana-Gillan. Anything for a night with her.

Saldana is hot and Gillan is cute but ScarJo is outrageous.

o-SCARLETT-570.jpg

Well... she was outrageous.

Back