• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CBM: X-Men '97 finale; My Adventures with Superman S2 May 25; The Boys S4 June 13

Yeah. I haven't thought about Ranger Rick in many many years.

We're benefitting from people who grew up in the late 70s and 80s taking over the entertainment industry.

Well, here you go... http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/guardians_of_the_galaxy/reviews/#sort=rotten

Some of these read like they didn't even watch the movie, and the others seem to just hate fun (the thing that made almost everyone else love the movie).

Josh Larsen (the critic I posted earlier) named The Lego Movie as his favorite film of the year thus far so I don't think he "hates fun". He just has a different opinion than that of the majority, nothing wrong with that.

Larsen didn't like X-Men: DOFP either.

He's the ThinkChristian movie reviewer. I enjoyed his "how to" guide on Christians watching movies with sex in them. You're allowed to enjoy it in some films, but not in others, so be careful!

Josh Larsen (the critic I posted earlier) named The Lego Movie as his favorite film of the year thus far so I don't think he "hates fun". He just has a different opinion than that of the majority, nothing wrong with that.

And I think his opinion is stupid and contrived out of some need to be contrarian. Nothing wrong with that. :thumbsup:

LOL@ some of the negative reviews on RT.

Once touted as their riskiest film to date, it is artistically and politically as conservative a film as Marvel Studios has ever made.

Umm...it's a comic book movie....

I mean, I don't think the people giving it a negative are contrarians. Most of them attend screenings and write their reviews well before they are published, and perhaps, as crazy as it may be, they just did not like the movie. I think fanboy-ism has invaded too much of popular culture, to the point where people think you either love or hate something and there's no in-between. Ph posted above "What drove them to hate a movie that has been almost universally praised?" Yes, they gave it a negative, but that doesn't mean they hated it. Except for Kyle Smith of the New York Post, one of the four top critics who gave it a negative, who gave it 1/4 and compared it to Howard the Duck and Green Lantern.

So, as Ph suggested above, let's take Kyle Smith and look at his resume on some recent movies over 80%, and some comic book movies. He gave A Most Wanted Man (90%) 2/4, Calvary (88%) 4/4, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (91%) 3.5/4, Life Itself (97%) 3/4, Begin Again (82%) 2/4, 22 Jump Street (84%) 2/4, Jodorowsky's Dune (99%) 2/4 (he's the only person who gave it a negative, as the movie sits at 90 and 1), The Lego Movie (96%) 2/4 (his snippet on this reads "As cute and energetic as it is, "The Lego Movie" is more exhausting than fun, too unsure of itself to stick with any story thread for too long." which I 100% agree with). (Note: I picked and chose out mostly the negative reviews). He gave Batman Begins 4/4, Captain America: The First Avenger 3.5/4, The Dark Knight 3.5/4, Iron Man 3/4, Thor: The Dark World 1.5/4, The Avengers a positive review.

So perhaps the point of this is, the fanboy "hater" talk is stupid, these critics aren't invested in these movies, i.e. how the characters and villains and whatnot fits into the wider scope of the Marvel Universe, they are judging it purely for if it's a good movie or not. They see sometimes a few hundred movies a year, and as you can see with these other, non comic book movies, and the comic book movies, these are simply people with varied tastes and ideas about what makes a movie good.

You and he completely missed the point of The Lego Movie or ducked out before the end.

I mean, I don't think the people giving it a negative are contrarians. Most of them attend screenings and write their reviews well before they are published, and perhaps, as crazy as it may be, they just did not like the movie. I think fanboy-ism has invaded too much of popular culture, to the point where people think you either love or hate something and there's no in-between. Ph posted above "What drove them to hate a movie that has been almost universally praised?" Yes, they gave it a negative, but that doesn't mean they hated it. Except for Kyle Smith of the New York Post, one of the four top critics who gave it a negative, who gave it 1/4 and compared it to Howard the Duck and Green Lantern.

So, as Ph suggested above, let's take Kyle Smith and look at his resume on some recent movies over 80%, and some comic book movies. He gave A Most Wanted Man (90%) 2/4, Calvary (88%) 4/4, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (91%) 3.5/4, Life Itself (97%) 3/4, Begin Again (82%) 2/4, 22 Jump Street (84%) 2/4, Jodorowsky's Dune (99%) 2/4 (he's the only person who gave it a negative, as the movie sits at 90 and 1), The Lego Movie (96%) 2/4 (his snippet on this reads "As cute and energetic as it is, "The Lego Movie" is more exhausting than fun, too unsure of itself to stick with any story thread for too long." which I 100% agree with). (Note: I picked and chose out mostly the negative reviews). He gave Batman Begins 4/4, Captain America: The First Avenger 3.5/4, The Dark Knight 3.5/4, Iron Man 3/4, Thor: The Dark World 1.5/4, The Avengers a positive review.

So perhaps the point of this is, the fanboy "hater" talk is stupid, these critics aren't invested in these movies, i.e. how the characters and villains and whatnot fits into the wider scope of the Marvel Universe, they are judging it purely for if it's a good movie or not. They see sometimes a few hundred movies a year, and as you can see with these other, non comic book movies, and the comic book movies, these are simply people with varied tastes and ideas about what makes a movie good.

You mean...like if it was taking place in the imagination of a kid playing with LEGOs?

:rolleyes:

:noidea:

Seriously, go see Guardians of the Galaxy. Seriously. (SPOILERS)

So glad I watched it last night instead of tonight.

I don't know what to tell you, Fanatic. The movie pitted old school Lego against their corporate strategy of the last two decades or so. It was incredibly meta and almost deferential to generations of Lego fans. Lego itself was the villain and the child's imagination was the hero.

Last edited:
You mean...like if it was taking place in the imagination of a kid playing with LEGOs?

:rolleyes:

:noidea:

Yeah, but a kid playing with LEGOs makes for an ADD, annoying flick. And even though Lord and Miller were in on the "joke," that doesn't make it any less painful to watch.

I felt the same way about The Lego Movie as I did 22 Jump Street. Lord and Miller have gone into the super self-aware, hyperactive territory. I was with The Lego Movie for the first 15 or so minutes, but goddamn, it was hard to watch after that point. That ending felt disingenuous to me, the stuff that preceded it didn't earn the emotion they were trying to pry from the viewer. Just like they were trying to make some meta point in Lego Movie, and failed, they did so too in 22 Jump Street, a perhaps even more desperate to be loved movie. We get it guys, "sequels are usually shitty cash ins," but just because you are aware of that statement doesn't mean your own movie isn't one of those shitty sequels.

The fact that 22 jump street was so meta is not in and of itself a real criticism. I thought the jokes in general were just as good as the first one, even if I didn't particularly care for all the self referential ubiquity.

Back