• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CBM: X-Men '97 finale; My Adventures with Superman S2 May 25; The Boys S4 June 13

The fact that 22 jump street was so meta is not in and of itself a real criticism. I thought the jokes in general were just as good as the first one, even if I didn't particularly care for all the self referential ubiquity.

No, but the fact that it thought it's meta-ness was so clever, when it wasn't, was where I found fault. And I didn't think it was nearly as funny as the first one, that girl from Workaholics was flat out awful, as was most of the supporting cast, where I thought that was one of the strengths in the first one.

I don't have very high standards for comedies... I laughed a fair amount during 22 jump street even while thinking the whole "It's the exact same thing as last time" bit was, to your observation, overdone.

I liked the opening set piece, I liked the Ice Cube daughter angle, I liked the visit with Rob Riggle's character (truth be told I'm a Riggle fan), and Workaholics chick wasn't great but I did appreciate Jonah Hill's performance in the kiss/fight scene. Nothing special from Wyatt Russell (who turned down a Hunger Games role to be in this) or Amber Stevens, but Stevens was a straight character anyway.

With how few decent comedies there are from the past few years, I'll take it. Only other comedy from 2014 I think I liked was Neighbors.

Seriously, go see Guardians of the Galaxy. Seriously. (SPOILERS)

I laughed too, just not enough for me to overlook my problems with it. Comedies have been lacking very badly this year, with the exception of Neighbors, which I still didn't love, but liked better than 22JS.

Edit: I actually think the funniest movie this year may be Edge of Tomorrow. Or Nymphomaniac Vol. 1.

Last edited:
OFF TOPIC LETS TALK ABOUT THE COOLEST VERSION OF ROCKET RACCOON

San+Diego+Comic-Con+2014+Exclusive+Guardians+of+the+Galaxy+Rocket+Raccoon+&+Groot+%E2%80%9CTree+Hugger%E2%80%9D+Print+by+Mike+Mitchell.jpg

I laughed too, just not enough for me to overlook my problems with it. Comedies have been lacking very badly this year, with the exception of Neighbors, which I still didn't love, but liked better than 22JS.

Edit: I actually think the funniest movie this year may be Edge of Tomorrow.

To your edited point, a lot of genre comedies have been good, but straight up comedies have been lacking for a while imo.

What's an example of a "straight up comedy" that doesn't fall into a genre?

By the way, http://www.teefury.com/ has a Groot and Rocket shirt and a Rocket shirt up for the next hour for $11 each.

b-mco-soon-in-a-galaxy-nearby.png

b-mco-the-racoon-nebula.png

Last edited:
Genre comedies as in action-comedies, or other such movies where it isn't listed/marketed just as a comedy.

Who are you responding to? Nobody asked what a genre comedy is.

There are movies that are just comedies. They are very recognizable. There are movies that would primarily fall into another genre but rely heavily on humor. A Frat Pack movie is just a comedy. Neighbors is just a comedy. The jump street movies are just comedies, and even though they have action in them the action is meant to still be primarily humorous.

You've described mostly buddy comedies.

I mean it's not very hard. It should be obvious what genre a movie primarily is... Some movies are just comedies. Some movies are funny movies that are primarily another genre. Drag Me To Hell is a horror movie but it's funny. Bad Boys would be the archetype of an action comedy.

I expect "Lets be Cops" to be the best comedy of the year so far. "Neighbors" was decent but forgettable, it could have been Apatow's Animal House for this generation.

I expect Let's Be Cops to be bad. Aside from the unfunny trailers and the super high concept plot, no advance reviews is worrisome.

Also, The Interview is my pick for upcoming comedy of the year, or whatever. That looks pretty great.

I mean it's not very hard. It should be obvious what genre a movie primarily is... Some movies are just comedies. Some movies are funny movies that are primarily another genre. Drag Me To Hell is a horror movie but it's funny. Bad Boys would be the archetype of an action comedy.

Right. Most comedies I can think of obviously have a genre. Not being confrontational. Just trying to think of some comedies that don't fit a genre and I'm having a tough time.

Here is the list of Top 50 Comedies. They specifically don't include action comedy or rom coms.
http://www.imdb.com/list/ls004063787/

Most could be considered a buddy comedy, family comedy, parody, or satirical farce.

I was very skeptical about Guardians of the Galaxy when they first announced it, but that very well may be the best Marvel movie that's been made so far. I actually think it's the best Sci-Fi film since Empire Strikes Back.

Back