• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CBM: X-Men '97 finale; My Adventures with Superman S2 May 25; The Boys S4 June 13

Big Hero 6 is up to 91% on Rotten Tomatoes after being at 83% before Friday. Typically early reviews are more favorable.

Have we already done a Pixar catalog rating/poll on this thread?

It's not a superhero movie, but Interstellar is fantastic. Worth seeking it out in IMAX or 70mm film presentation if possible.

I enjoyed Big Hero Six, but it's not outstanding. The animation is incredible and reaches green screen levels of photorealism in some of the environment animation. The story is extremely formulaic and tired at its core, but is padded by interesting choices and great voice acting. The characters, with an exception or two, are stock and undeveloped. Overall I give it a B-

I agree with this take although I'd give it a higher grade because we're not grading on a Disney/Marvel curve. It seems like a B- movie if you're comparing it to Frozen (and its cultural relevance and staying power), The Winter Solider, and Guardians of the Galaxy. It's just as good as Frozen (the actual movie), Wreck-It Ralph, and Tangled. It hit most of the beats of a paint-by-numbers superhero origin story. I do feel like it rushed through a lot and didn't have the world building of Wreck-It Ralph. It would have liked to see more of the San Francisco/Tokyo mashup although I'm sure I'll catch more upon repeat viewings. It also didn't have enough depth to the relationship between Hiro and Tadashi, but there's only so much time. The focus was on Hiro and Baymax and that was solid. Disney is 2 for 2 on great sidekick characters between Olaf and Baymax.

I think the big question after this is "Will there be a Big Hero 6 sequel?" I don't think that's the right question. The question is "How often will they do Big Hero 6 sequels?" They played it safe and kept it very tight which left room for much more character development, world building, more villains, more technology, and there will be plenty of desire for more Baymax. I'd love to learn more about their lives. Getting to know more about Fred was great. I'd love to know if there are more US/World mashup cities out there.

If the movie does well, I think Big Hero 6 will be the kiddie version of The Avengers. If they're smart, they'll develop a Marvel Animated Film division and introduce D- and E-level kid-friendly Marvel characters into this universe. I've seen several mentions of Power Pack as a Marvel property that could benefit from this treatment.

Definitely stay through the credits.

Last edited:
Ph is hypercritical on every single thread but this one and Disney. I love it. He gets into total homer optimist mode with this stuff. Phdeac, disney and comic book sunshine brigade.

Freak, you got some Arrow jizz on your face, bro.

I'm a homer about almost everything though.

Sure. I think you'd agree that Disney and Marvel have had a much better run than Wake Sports and pretty much everything else over the last several years except OUR SPURS and even that's debatable.

Sure. I think you'd agree that Disney and Marvel have had a much better run than Wake Sports and pretty much everything else over the last several years except OUR SPURS and even that's debatable.

Disney has never written poetry better than RICKY MANNING JR in 2003.

I'm grading on a Pixar curve, and I think Frozen is way overrated.

Big Hero 6 is Disney Animation not Pixar. That's why I was comparing it to Frozen, Wreck-It Ralph, and Tangled.

Big Hero 6 is Disney Animation not Pixar. That's why I was comparing it to Frozen, Wreck-It Ralph, and Tangled.
Damn, I thought it was Pixar. Ok, I've revised my grade to a B.

It's not that frozen is overrated it's that a generation of little girls fell in love with a story where a girl did not need the prince to rescue her. Two strong female leads and the "true love" was a sisters love and not a princess pining away for a prince. Plenty of boys enjiyed it as well. Heck my 5 yo daughter wants super powers and is now really excited for big hero 6. Can't wait to sneak out of work this week to take her.

Yeah. Frozen is more of a cultural phenomenon than just a movie. Almost in the vein of Star Wars. It will be interesting to see the impact on such a popular example of female empowerment that is so popular with boys and girls.

Disney's Big Hero 6 premieres Friday (spoilers)

Big Hero 6 finishes #1 in the box office

http://io9.com/big-hero-6-just-beat-interstellar-at-this-weekends-box-1656636148

"While nowhere near as successful as Guardians of the Galaxy and its $94-million opening, Big Hero 6's weekend earnings have demonstrated yet again the marketability of obscure Marvel properties. We'll see if it has staying power."

I'm not going to calculate it but Big Hero 6 did better than a lot of more prominent comics properties. Impressive work.

Found it.
http://boxofficemojo.com/genres/chart/?id=comicbookadaptation.htm&sort=opengross&order=DESC&p=.htm

Big Hero 6 had the 26th best opening weekend for a comic book adaptation, right in-between both Fantastic Four movies. Big Hero 6 had a better opening weekend than origin story films for much more established heroes and teams such as The Incredible Hulk, Green Lantern, X-Men (twice), and even Batman himself.

Last edited:
That's inspired casting.

Frozen is a perfect movie, great story and uplifting w/ a twist, lots of laughs (Olaf FTW) and some hidden stuff thrown in so you pick up things on repeated watching. Also, great music too. Its a throwback to the hey days of LM/B&tB/Alad/LionKing

Back