• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

"Change has Come to N.C."

I don't disagree with the notion of trying something different.

I do think however, as a tax payer, that having public K-12 grade schools that are paid for by public being able to select which students it teaches is not an viable "something different". Taking my tax dollars to teach your children while refusing to teach mine is a serious problem for me.

I don't disagree with the notion of trying something different.

I do think however, as a tax payer, that having public K-12 grade schools that are paid for by public being able to select which students it teaches is not an viable "something different". Taking my tax dollars to teach your children while refusing to teach mine is a serious problem for me.

Who is refusing to teach anyone? Charter schools are first come-first served

Who is refusing to teach anyone? Charter schools are first come-first served

Depends on the school. And many charters can decide who they want to keep and who to kick out.

Almost all charter schools in North Carolina are not first come first served.

Almost all charter schools in North Carolina are not first come first served.

You were right - semantically, when a Charter school is at capacity, they are legally required to enroll students by lottery.

"What happens if the number of applicants exceeds the public charter school’s capacity?
If enough seats are not available for the children who wish to enroll, students are accepted by lottery."

"Can public charter schools in North Carolina pick and choose their students?
Except as provided by law or the mission of the school as spelled out in its charter, admission cannot be limited on the basis of “intellectual ability, measures of achievement or aptitude, athletic ability, disability, race, creed, gender, national origin, religion or ancestry” (NCGS 115-238.29F(g)(5)).

Preference can be given to siblings of students who are currently enrolled in the school and to the children of faculty members."

"Must public charter schools comply with federal laws and regulations?
North Carolina’s public charter schools are subject to all of the same federal constitutional, statutory and regulatory requirements applicable to the state’s other public schools, including laws governing special education, the No Child Left Behind (NCLB) Act, the provision of instruction to students who have limited English proficiency, and federal desegregation orders.

Public charter schools must comply with the Age Discrimination Act of 1975, Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, and Part B of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act. Public charter schools, however, have freedoms in personnel laws specific to public charter school law."

http://www.nccharters.org/about-us/faq/

Last edited:
I love to hear the liberals who send their children to rich, private schools (Sidwell friends, etc.) fight to keep other families from having the same opportunities.

First of all Sidwell puts about 15-20% of tuition towards scholarships for kids whose families can't afford to pay.

If you think Choate or Philly's Episcoal Academy will not just add the value of the voucher to their current tuition, you live in a dream world.

Also most good private schools have waiting lists. Vouchers will make it worse.

If you think Beverly Hills high will take a voucher from a kid from Compton who isn't an athlete or other star, you also live in a dream world.

How come I'm not shocked that 85 doesn't understand the reality of vouchers?

Not having the benefit of a "big bad union" is one of the reasons charter schools are struggling....

The pay and benefits are a joke at many charter schools so the turnover is incredibly high.....and it's hard to develop a program with any sort of continuity if you have to replace 2-3 teachers every year...

Back