• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Charge Circle for College Hoops Next Year

Can we get a couple of gifs of the "best of" charges from duke history going here?

To make things consistent with baseball stats and the asterisk by all those homers, we need to put a dotted semicircle at the bottom of all the banners in Cameron now.

About time.

Duke just lost their defensive edge.

Thank God. The last couple years was the equivalent of putting a traffic light at a horrible intersection but not plugging it in.

I just hope that volleyball teams can survive the horrible distraction/schools can afford the 8 oz of paint.

i hope this actually has an effect. i'd be worried that it will only make flops more b.s. in a replay.

can a referee change the call after looking at the replay? i wouldn't think so, but I'd like for them to be able to

Can't imagine this will affect Duke a ton... K will just coach them to "set up" a step further out and they will still do the same thing they do now, and get away with it most of the time.

The zebras will compensate by calling even fewer travels against Duke.

K's practice drills as of now will be set up 3 ft. 1/16 inch from the center of the basket. Flop on, boys. Flop on.

Also interesting that they are instituting separate Flagrant 1 (2 shots + ball) and Flagrant 2 (ejection) foul designations to replace the broader Intentional foul. I don't follow the NBA too closely, but I think that now matches the NBA rule, correct?

this is so good for college basketball. the charge calls were getting so ridiculous it made me not want to watch. It penalized you for getting to the basket.

The circle is a good thing. All the coaches that I've heard comment on it, even K, have supported it.

One negative we should expect going forward is that a lot of blocks will be called charges as long as the defender made it outside of the circle. Refs will be more concerned with where the feet are on the floor rather than always seeing good position. It happens in the NBA with better refs than we see in college hoops.

Can't imagine this will affect Duke a ton... K will just coach them to "set up" a step further out and they will still do the same thing they do now, and get away with it most of the time.

This.

I'd like to see it out another foot or more.

Of course I'd also like to set be an automatic block if a player gets off the ground to shoot and runs into a defender. If you can't stop him from getting into the air, you shouldn't shouldn't be rewarded. Plus it will take away any doubt on the call and lessen injuries.

I think I'd still prefer the rule to simply be you have to be set before the defender leaves his feet.

All the terrible charge calls are for players sliding underneath a player who has already jumped. The circle helps stop this because typically guys aren't jumping from the free throw line, so it's not possible to take that kind of charge if you're not under the basket.

I agree that it's too difficult for the refs to watch both the feet on the line AND the precise positioning of both players. Not sure why the circle is a better answer.

The circle makes the players get out form under the basket and makes any contact within 1-2' and automatic call.

With three refs, you should be able to call this correctly most of the time.

Back