• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Charleston Area Beaches

Wakelaw2006

Reaction score
I searched and found a number of Charleston restaurant threads, but not one about the various beaches around Charleston. I have to plan a bachelorette party long weekend that really isn't a bachelorette party. The bride basically just wants to relax on the beach, eat seafood, hang out at some chill beach bars, and go out for a nice dinner and nicer bars one night. We are thinking about renting a house either on Tybee and go out in Savannah one night or on one of the beaches around Charleston and go out there one night.

I've been to Tybee a number of times, so I have that covered. However, I have never been to Charleston and have no idea what areas would be best. Just looking on a map, it looks like Folly Beach, Sullivan's Island and Isle of Palms are all close. Any suggestions for Charleston?

If anyone has other suggestions for similar locations within driving distance of Atlanta, I'd love to hear those too.

You can get a great house by the beach on IOP with a pool, golf cart, etc. Short cab to fun bars, manageable van to fantastic restaurants in Charleston. Easy call for me.

Get a house on IOP but go to Sullivans. Station 18 (open beach area) or 21 (near all the beach bars and restaurants). If you do stay on IOP see if the Windjammer has anything fun going on.

Then wonder into town, where half of your party will hit on unsuspecting dudes, and watch as the Mother Hen (unless that's you) CBs them at the last moment.

Last edited:
are you a chick?

Yes, I assume there aren't many dudes who plan bachelorette weekeends.

This is an older group (early 30s) and I think there are only 2 of us who aren't married or engaged. Over half have kids. I don't expect much hitting on unsuspecting dudes.

Just got back from a bachelorette party in charleston. We stayed at charleston place but went to Sullivan's for one day to do the beach and I'd hiiiiighly recommend it. It was an adorable little beach town and the bars and restaurants around it looked like they had a fun little vibe.

Let me know if you have any other question specifically since I just got back from doing basically the same thing haha

This is an older group (early 30s) and I think there are only 2 of us who aren't married or engaged. Over half have kids. I don't expect much hitting on unsuspecting dudes.

I've always assumed you were a dude.

Tick tock...tick tock...

IOP is fun, but more chill. Folly has been the "locals" beach for a number of years, but is now getting a pretty strong following and has a pretty good bar/resto scene. If you stay downtown, you can go to both for a day. If you just want to chill though, I would say iop

Definitely Sullivans. Great beach and good bars and restaurants that are within walking distance. It may be hard/expensive to find a house for the weekend depending on the time of year though. IOP could be an option but there aren't really any good bars or restaurants close by.

And be careful with your drinking on the beach. Alcohol is illegal on the public beaches at IOP, Sullivans, and Folly. They don't write a lot of tickets, but when they do, it's expensive. You can bet by with open containers on the beach at Wild Dunes in IOP.

Love IOP.

My buddy's band plays at Windjammer every Labor Day.

Sullivan's Island is my favorite beach down in Charleston. IOP is the most chill, lots of families usually. Folly lost a lot of it's luster after they banned alcohol last year, but there are some decent bars out there as previously mentioned.

The cab situation in Charleston kind of sucks so I would encourage you to consider pre-arranging for vans/shuttles. I've had good experiences with Island Shuttle / Mount Pleasant Shuttle (Crazy Karl) and SC Bar Car.

Sullivan's Island is my favorite beach down in Charleston. IOP is the most chill, lots of families usually. Folly lost a lot of it's luster after they banned alcohol last year, but there are some decent bars out there as previously mentioned.

The cab situation in Charleston kind of sucks so I would encourage you to consider pre-arranging for vans/shuttles. I've had good experiences with Island Shuttle / Mount Pleasant Shuttle (Crazy Karl) and SC Bar Car.

When we were there in June, we called the Wild Dunes front desk because I was not getting in another Crazy Karl cab. That dude is literally Crazy. There is now a service out there similar to Uber (but without the phone app). Cant recall the name, but my wife might. They pick you up in a nice SUV with bottles of water. Know your name and are there for you (not a flock to the cab like happens on Sullivans). I will PM you the name. Or HP might know it. We left the card in the condo.

I'm betting at least one of the "married" chicks hooks up this weekend. Please post pics.

When we were there in June, we called the Wild Dunes front desk because I was not getting in another Crazy Karl cab. That dude is literally Crazy. There is now a service out there similar to Uber (but without the phone app). Cant recall the name, but my wife might. They pick you up in a nice SUV with bottles of water. Know your name and are there for you (not a flock to the cab like happens on Sullivans). I will PM you the name. Or HP might know it. We left the card in the condo.

Well, like most things in life people's mileage will vary. If you come up with the name of the SUV service you used, will you post it here? Or PM to me? Even though I live here, I find myself in need of car service once in a while for various reasons.

Did a week at Folly a couple years ago. Drank shit tons of beer on the beach and never had a problem. Great beach. Easy drive to Charleston, we had kids so we didn't do the get drunk and call a cab thing so I can't speak to that. The little downtown area at Folly has three or four beach bars that I thought were pretty cool, but may not be upscale enough for a bachelorette party.

I guess what I'm saying is that my advice is useless to the OP but I wanted to endorse Folly because I had such a good week down there and want to go back.;)

Did a week at Folly a couple years ago. Drank shit tons of beer on the beach and never had a problem. Great beach. Easy drive to Charleston, we had kids so we didn't do the get drunk and call a cab thing so I can't speak to that. The little downtown area at Folly has three or four beach bars that I thought were pretty cool, but may not be upscale enough for a bachelorette party.

I guess what I'm saying is that my advice is useless to the OP but I wanted to endorse Folly because I had such a good week down there and want to go back.;)

It was legal to drink on Folly until last year.

Well, like most things in life people's mileage will vary. If you come up with the name of the SUV service you used, will you post it here? Or PM to me? Even though I live here, I find myself in need of car service once in a while for various reasons.

I believe it is called "Ride it out" but I dont have the card on me. Left it in Ctown. But my wife had it in her phone. 843-849-7433. They had like nice suvs, but not like limos. Just nice suvs. Bottled water, etc.

Thanks for the suggestions, all. No plans made yet, but will definitely come back for more restaurant and bar recs if we end up in Charleston.

Back