• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Charlotte morning traffic

WFU71

Older than Dirt
Reaction score
We're heading for Charleston Friday morning and will be taking I-77 thru Charlotte. What time does the traffic lighten up?

We're heading for Charleston Friday morning and will be taking I-77 thru Charlotte. What time does the traffic lighten up?

I took the new 485 loop from huntersville to about the Carowinds edit the other week. It cut my travel time down by a good 15-20 minutes. We were traveling in horrible stop and go rush hour traffic around 5:30. I hopped on 485 and there was no one.

I generally try to avoid it between 7:30 and 9 am but I don't travel it very often.

I was there last Monday heading north on 77, from the SC border towards Greensboro and my niece said we had to leave the house at 0640. Traffic was busy yet moved at a good clip...10 mins later and it would have been bad.....

I asked a co-worker from Mooresville. He said 77 south should be clear by 9:30 AM. So it should be a little lighter before that.

I'd definitely use 485 to avoid uptown but mooresville to huntersville generally blows.

I took the new 485 loop from huntersville to about the Carowinds edit the other week. It cut my travel time down by a good 15-20 minutes. We were traveling in horrible stop and go rush hour traffic around 5:30. I hopped on 485 and there was no one.

Thanks, McCrory.

We're getting close to the final part of 485 in NE Mecklenburg to opening. Can't wait.

485 to the airport is fantastic. Cuts down travel time significantly.

WFU71, if traffic from Mooresville to Huntersville is bad, you can always take back roads (ie 115) through Davidson down to 485. Download Waze, BTW. Best traffic app out there.

Back