• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat thread 1331: Just talkin’ chickens. This is better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dude my brother makes almost 200k a year and watches old wrestling videos all day. He’s a director and continues to get promoted. even though he mows his yard on company time and I’ve seen him hand a conference call to a cheerleader on a bus ride to an away game and tell her to hand it back to him if someone said his name. I’m not sure I buy into this whole private sector work is more difficult than the public sector.

you have to pay me $300k to not watch wrestling videos during the day

Dude my brother makes almost 200k a year and watches old wrestling videos all day. He’s a director and continues to get promoted. even though he mows his yard on company time and I’ve seen him hand a conference call to a cheerleader on a bus ride to an away game and tell her to hand it back to him if someone said his name. I’m not sure I buy into this whole private sector work is more difficult than the public sector.

Her comment was competence and social skills related.

I have no doubt the public sector works as hard or harder than some in the private sector.

I work in the federal government, bro. Just...no.

One could fire half the people in my office tomorrow, bring in a single person from the private sector who isn't federal-lazy and see an overall improvement in service/work product.

Perhaps natural resources are different than whatever branch of government you engage with, but this is the opposite of my experience working with public natural resource agencies, which is extensive. They are all understaffed and the remaining employees are earnestly dedicated but are wildly over worked and suffer burn-out. (The only exception that I am aware of is the US Army Corps of Engineers, they have more money than they know what to do with.)

Perhaps natural resources are different than whatever branch of government you engage with, but this is the opposite of my experience working with public natural resource agencies, which is extensive. They are all understaffed and the remaining employees are earnestly dedicated but are wildly over worked and suffer burn-out. (The only exception that I am aware of is the US Army Corps of Engineers, they have more money than they know what to do with.)

My wife’s cousin’s husband is in the Corps of Engineers and works on resource management.

10000000000000000000000000000%

will ask my sis, who is not a fighter pilot, but who works at EPA, what she thinks

her 2.5 months of experience will form my opinion on this matter

Yeah I think it’s more job specific than anything else, plenty of jobs private or government that you can get away with doing nothing or the minimum. I mean everyone has read the long form essay of the forgotten private sector employee, the American dream.

If you really think the private sector is more efficient or more important than the public - read Graeber's Bullshit Jobs (intro/first chapter) - both are full of inefficient and unnecessary labor.

Bro I just rewatched Willow for the first time since I was a kid and they let us watch some fucked up shit in the 80s.

I’m not sure anyone ever said private sector work was more difficult, just that it paid more.

I don't make a ton of money but what I do make, I definitely don't deserve.

that's some quality sleuthing there.

morning all. 22 min on the crossword today - p slow.

I wrote appraise them of the situation rather than apprise them of the situation in an email this morning, so you can use that as evidence in whichever side of the public vs private sector you fall on.

Also, the sweet spot is government contractor or consultant, private sector pay for government work. It is the chef's kiss of the professional world.

I wrote appraise them of the situation rather than apprise them of the situation in an email this morning, so you can use that as evidence in whichever side of the public vs private sector you fall on.

Also, the sweet spot is government contractor or consultant, private sector pay for government work. It is the chef's kiss of the professional world.

But none of those sweet government bennies.

read a review of the book The Meritocracy Trap this morning and it felt pretty timely to some of this here chatting

The novelty of Markovits’s analysis, as he sees it, lies in his argument that it is the successful working of meritocracy, not its failure, that generates the huge inequalities now deforming American society. Those who win out in the relentless competition for education and employment are indeed talented, and they work extremely hard. They are a genuinely meritocratic elite – but that, Markovits insists, is the problem. The new elite has successfully legitimated itself, but its members have condemned themselves to a culture of overwork, while making everyone else feel that they have in some sense failed. (Young’s shadow can be hard to escape when writing on this topic.)

and

Even when​ the illusions of meritocracy have been stripped away, some hard questions remain, not least for people on the left. One of them concerns the unit we call ‘the family’. Even the most committed progressives, who will vote or campaign or organise or write against any number of expressions of injustice, may be unable or unwilling to address the fundamental unfairness of the advantages they pass on to their children. Yet political activism is not like carbon-offsetting: you can’t make up for the injustice you are implicated in at home by supporting causes elsewhere. There is no easy resolution of these tensions. Accepting that it is natural to do everything you can to give your own children a competitive edge, even while denouncing other forms of inequality, is part of what legitimates meritocracy and allows it to transmit dynastic advantage.

Another question the left has always had difficulty addressing is how to deal with high abilities, especially intellectual abilities (however we define these and however we think this comes about). As a society, we have some straightforward instrumental reasons for wanting to develop such abilities to the full, but we are often queasy about providing the conditions in which they flourish, fearful that it will be at the expense of the less talented or will encourage unhealthy forms of social division. And we have no clear idea how such abilities should be rewarded, sometimes taking the view that the exercise of a gift is its own reward, at other times wanting some way of signalling society’s endorsement of valuable forms of human achievement. Some of these confusions find an outlet in a left-wing anti-intellectualism, an unlovely mixture of high-minded principle and sour resentment. It is right to insist that the currently vaunted version of meritocracy is a sham; it’s much harder to know how we should nurture and reward outstanding intellectual or creative abilities without ending up with some equally undesirable distribution of power and advantage.

https://www.lrb.co.uk/the-paper/v43/n07/stefan-collini/snakes-and-ladders

reminds of a recent reddit post i saw; it was on the issue of the goldman internship abuse. one guy said, unironically, how great those coveted positions at investment banks are and now that he's a senior partner he only puts in like 50 hours a week and typical/that's on the end for upper management

sounds awful

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back